Some Guy: Hurley vs. Cooley has that old Big East feel | The Boneyard

Some Guy: Hurley vs. Cooley has that old Big East feel

Reaction Score
After he allowed more than 500 fans to get an early read on his 2019 UConn basketball team Saturday afternoon at Gampel Pavilion, Dan Hurley had me read Ed Cooley’s words to him about UConn’s 2020 inclusion into the Big East.

"Wow, pontificating on us,” Hurley said. “I disagree with that. I don’t take offense to it, I guess. We recruited Akok Akok, James Bouknight and Jalen Gaffney and R.J. Cole and were in pretty good position to bring in a Top 15-Top 10 recruiting class before, I guess, the Big East ‘saved’ us.

“Our basketball program was well on its way to doing what I’d done at Wagner and what I’d done at Rhode Island. I remember my years five and six in the state of Rhode Island, we were kind of the thing with our performance in March and winning our league and advancing in the NCAA Tournament. The Big East is certainly going to help UConn, and UConn is certainly getting its act together right now and we were way before we returned to the Big East.”

C

Chief00

Let's pontificate on Ed Cooley needing four tries to pass the SAT
While we try to beat him out on the recruiting trail, Ed’s actually a great guy. He can be kind of blunt like Coach but he has no pretensions and is honest. You may agree or disagree with what he says. It’s all good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
There is a history between these 2 men. URI and Providence was and still is a big rivalry game. Because Hurley made URI relevant on the national stage the games intensified. Now that we have him... it might be UConn vs both RI/Providence fan bases next year. this rivalry will be back... and intense on and off the court.

I don’t mind Cooley as a guy or coach.I rooted for him when he was at Fairfield and was happy Prov plucked him... but as a fan I hope he gets out coached every.freaking.time he plays us.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Good Guy or Bad Guy - Who cares about Ed Cooley
Until he and his team do something of real note he is just another coach

Reaction Score
Cooley’s a good enough guy. He’s also one heckuva politician, who schmoozes it up with the people who write about and cover the game. Maybe that’s why they love to hype him as “underrated” and barely mention his abysmal tournament record. He has a way of sounding incredibly patronizing in some of his comments but rarely gets called on it. Dan and Cooley know each other well. Rhode Island’s a small state. They’re friends in the sense that the coaching fraternity is a small one. I’m looking forward to their future match-ups, now that resources are a bit more even.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
While we try to beat him out on the recruiting trail, Ed’s actually a great guy. He can be kind of blunt like Coach but he has no pretensions and is honest. You may agree or disagree with what he says. It’s all good.

Nice edit save of your OP.

Reaction Score
Im fired up for UConn/Providence rivalry renewal. Thats good for us, its good for northeast basketball since we actually have a regional rival/conference foe, and its good for college basketball in general. I hope these games will live up to the hype. Hurley vs Cooley is like an old school Big East coaches rivalry as well. Im looking forward to it.

C

Chief00

Nice edit save of your OP.
What edit? Almost all of my edits are grammar/spelling/clarity, since I type on my phone and hit send before reading, rather than substance. Note, I never called Ed Cooley a great coach, since he hasn’t proven that, at least yet. Give him credit though for his political skills getting that beautiful training facility built - a major accomplishment at a low enrollment school. Naturally, Chief has seen a lot of training facilities and PC’s is truly state of the art. Getting the money packaged to do that was an accomplishment.
At any rate, Chief looks forward to beating Ed and the ghosts of Ryan Gomes., another good guy. LOL

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Providence were always the games I used to fear because no matter how good we were or bad you never knew what the outcome was gong to be. We lost when we should have won and it feels like we had a disproportionate amount of OT games against them. I did not look up the records its just my recollection.

Reaction Score
Providence were always the games I used to fear because no matter how good we were or bad you never knew what the outcome was gong to be. We lost when we should have won and it feels like we had a disproportionate amount of OT games against them. I did not look up the records its just my recollection.
Uconn is 38-27 vs Providence all time and 11-8 since 2000 and 3-0 in OT games since 2000 - 8 of those 19 games since 2000 decided by 10 or less.

90s were more dominant at 16-6 including 7 of 8 and no OTs during the entire decade.

I would not be shocked if Uconn/Providence hovered around .500 from 2020-2029 with at least 4 OT games but with Uconn taking the more important games (like in the BET and games in March where the winner gets a top finishing position for the season in the BE, for example)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cooley has won just one NCAA tournament game in 14 years as a Head Coach. Let that sink in for a minute.
He's a decent coach, and hopefully a good mentor. For Providence that's the best they can ever do, let that sink in.

Reaction Score
Read this article in the morning paper. Got the sense that Hurley “spiced” up his quotes to wryly help Jacobs get some good copy. Felt it read pretty “meh”

Reaction Score
The truth is the truth. But don' tell that to the Boneyard. It's all about the ZBE.

Pontificating on us,” Hurley said. “I disagree with that. I don’t take offense to it, I guess. We recruited Akok Akok, James Bouknight and Jalen Gaffney and R.J. Cole and were in pretty good position to bring in a Top 15-Top 10 recruiting class before, I guess, the Big East ‘saved’ us.

C

Chief00

Good this confirms my informed suspicions this series will be fun and Chief can be my normal self and hate on our opponents but not in a personal manner since I know too many of the folks involved on a personal level from The Grind.

Reaction Score
Good this confirms my informed suspicions this series will be fun and Chief can be my normal self and hate on our opponents but not in a personal manner since I know too many of the folks involved on a personal level from The Grind.
Excited to see Danny fire up the team for games vs PC. Calhoun certainly used to. Imagine if he was still on the sideline when the Andre Drummond/Kris Dunn posse incident occurred. Would’ve been bulletin board material for sure!

Reaction Score
Excited to see Danny fire up the team for games vs PC. Calhoun certainly used to. Imagine if he was still on the sideline when the Andre Drummond/Kris Dunn posse incident occurred. Would’ve been bulletin board material for sure!

Refresh my memory on this please. Drummond was drafted in 2012, and Dunn in 2016. When was the incident and what generally transpired?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom