Some Guy: Hurley, Sr. on Pepe's, Cole | The Boneyard

Some Guy: Hurley, Sr. on Pepe's, Cole

Reaction Score
Amazing article - incredible insight from the Patriarch.

A part of me feels like this article belongs in the pizza thread.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Amazing article - incredible insight from the Patriarch.

A part of me feels like this article belongs in the pizza thread.
If he mentioned just a bit more about the pizza I would have put it there. I was hoping he'd have a quote from Sr. about the pie, or a comparison to NJ pizza, etc.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If he mentioned just a bit more about the pizza I would have put it there. I was hoping he'd have a quote from Sr. about the pie, or a comparison to NJ pizza, etc.

Missed opportunity by Some Guy. Overall good piece, sounds like Cole has stepped up as a leader.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Missed opportunity by Some Guy. Overall good piece, sounds like Cole has stepped up as a leader.
Fully agree. The Pepe's mention didn't deserve a headline unless he was at least going to ask him what he got (white clam?!?) and what he thought of it.

Getting him to wade into the CT-NY-NJ pizza wars would have been even better.

Alas, Some Guy gonna Some Guy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bob Sr seems to have middle of the pack BY basketball acumen.

We've had many posters on here saying all season Cole has been over penetrating and getting in to had positions near the rim. And now we have corroboration from an HoF coach. One less dribble and a pull up J is much more effective for RJ.

Bob Sr likes New Haven pizza. Again, right in the fat part of the BY bell curve for food likes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We've had many posters on here saying all season Cole has been over penetrating and getting in to had positions near the rim. And now we have corroboration from an HoF coach. One less dribble and a pull up J is much more effective for RJ.
Yep. I've said all along that he's more than serviceable to run the point for this team as long as he stops driving into the trees because he can't get that shot off at this level.

As a casual fan, I was heartened to see those thoughts confirmed by Sr.

Reaction Score
Wow, incredible article and insight from Bob, Sr. It's obvious that he follows the team extremely closely and knows them almost as well as he'd know one of his own teams. Terrific asset for Danny to have his father as someone to bounce things off of and give him feedback.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
“I know Danny has been working on R.J. with jump stops, the other day his stops and backup dribbles for (2-point) shots were tremendous. He needs to do that. Just eliminate that one more dribble, leave the ground and try to dive into the defense.”
Most important part of the article. RJ's patience on the dribble has been the unlock for his increased 2 pt efficiency. Instead of trying to rush up a shot before the defense can get a hand on it, he's taken his time and waited until he can get to his left hand or step back into space for the mid range. It has changed the dynamic of the entire team. I'm glad that Hurley Sr. mentioned it and more importantly I'm glad its been a point of emphasis because its a strong indication it will continue.

Reaction Score
Really enjoyable read. I find it funny that a HOF coach that has been around tons of NBA-caliber players, would comment how Bouknight stays in the air so long - like Bouk is subject to different laws of gravity than the rest of us. With all of his experience, he's still just a fan!

Reaction Score
Great great coach and so much respect for the guy.

St. Anthony's was still around when I was living in Jersey City back then and his teams were so incredibly disciplined and well coached. However, I was still a little miffed that he didn't send any recruits JC's way.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

But it sounds more believable coming from him.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what happened to Bobby's Arizona St team this year? They were projected to be a top 3 seed in the tournament this year and I just took a peek at their schedule/record and its awful.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Fully agree. The Pepe's mention didn't deserve a headline unless he was at least going to ask him what he got (white clam?!?) and what he thought of it.

Getting him to wade into the CT-NY-NJ pizza wars would have been even better.

Alas, Some Guy gonna Some Guy.

At least it's better than Gresch, who would have asked him about comparing stromboli.

Reaction Score

Bob Sr likes New Haven pizza. Again, right in the fat part of the BY bell curve for food likes.
I sent video to RJ of AG driving in too deep a few weeks ago. Guess he paid attention :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I've enjoyed the incorporation of the Hurley family into our own tradition. It seems right. Obviously the Hurley family are not native CT residents, but it still feels right. It feels like Big East people taking ownership of a Big East program. At the helm of a Big East program with enough clout and budget to compete at the national stage. Representing the northeast. The home and the origin of basketball.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Just wish that Bob Hurley Sr had sent a player or two to Jim Calhoun. He has a lot of ground to make up. He owes us.
In any case, I think Calhoun did just fine recruiting big time players . Hurley Sr will obviously let Danny know his thoughts so no worries there.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104