Some general WNBA observations after attending last night | The Boneyard

Some general WNBA observations after attending last night

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Last night we were in the 2nd row, court-side, near center court. As our first game in, I'm thinking, about 6 years, I noticed a couple of things I wanted to comment on:
1 - the game is very, very physical, but different from what you see in a college game. Almost every play seems to involve pushing, grabbing, hooking and what-not by half of the players (or more). No wonder the refs don't call it all and seem inconsistent. That said, it isn't as horrible to watch as you would think, it sort of is "in the flow".
2 - the game does not translate well on TV, at least not in the way it looks in the arena. It is so much faster, and in a way more chaotic, and you don't get as much of the static sets you see in college. The talent is just awesome.
3- regarding demographics - the one "group" that seemed to be missing completely, but makes up a significant part of every college team base I have ever seen, is the older folks. I know the BY skews to older men, but at Rutgers it was mostly couples. My wife and I bracket 60 by a couple of years, and we just didn't see many folks older than us. We feel like young'ins compared to some of the folks at Rutgers and Arizona games. Also, I thought the kid demographic, while it varies in general, was lighter than I am used to at U of A.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Last night we were in the 2nd row, court-side, near center court. As our first game in, I'm thinking, about 6 years, I noticed a couple of things I wanted to comment on:
1 - the game is very, very physical, but different from what you see in a college game. Almost every play seems to involve pushing, grabbing, hooking and what-not by half of the players (or more). No wonder the refs don't call it all and seem inconsistent. That said, it isn't as horrible to watch as you would think, it sort of is "in the flow".
2 - the game does not translate well on TV, at least not in the way it looks in the arena. It is so much faster, and in a way more chaotic, and you don't get as much of the static sets you see in college. The talent is just awesome.
3- regarding demographics - the one "group" that seemed to be missing completely, but makes up a significant part of every college team base I have ever seen, is the older folks. I know the BY skews to older men, but at Rutgers it was mostly couples. My wife and I bracket 60 by a couple of years, and we just didn't see many folks older than us. We feel like young'ins compared to some of the folks at Rutgers and Arizona games. Also, I thought the kid demographic, while it varies in general, was lighter than I am used to at U of A.

Agreed. Seeing a game in person, especially as “up close“ as you were, exposes things that as you said does not translate over to TV.

I attended an Aces home game this week vs the Sky, and now that you mention it, I did not see a lot of “mature“ folks in attendance. There were a few. They could have been “locals” who are Aces fans, or visitors (like me) simply taking advantage of them being in town during our visit. I like the Aces, and thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm intrigued as to why the older folks don't go to WNBA games. Getting around an arena must be tough for many yet you see a large number of them at Gampel. Perhaps their loyalty is to UConn and not to the players once they leave???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99
Top Bottom