Some consolation to UConn fans | The Boneyard

Some consolation to UConn fans

Reaction Score
I don’t think anybody expected that result in Seattle, but looks like y’all will still get a basketball championship this year; just not the one everyone would’ve bet on six months ago.

Your men were phenomenal tonight. They absolutely toyed with the second best team left in the field. If they play two more like that, nobody is beating them.

And while they’ve won a couple before just by getting hot at the right time of year, UConn men will have a claim to being not only the champs (which is all that matters), but also the best team of the season as well.

Anyway, hope this is something for you. If we fall short, South Carolina’s consolation is “at least the men didn’t finish dead last in conference.” Not quite the same.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anybody expected that result in Seattle, but looks like y’all will still get a basketball championship this year; just not the one everyone would’ve bet on six months ago.

Your men were phenomenal tonight. They absolutely toyed with the second best team left in the field. If they play two more like that, nobody is beating them.

And while they’ve won a couple before just by getting hot at the right time of year, UConn men will have a claim to being not only the champs (which is all that matters), but also the best team of the season as well.

Anyway, hope this is something for you. If we fall short, South Carolina’s consolation is “at least the men didn’t finish dead last in conference.” Not quite the same.
I just saw an ESPN stat that said around 15% of brackets correctly picked Va. Tech vs. Ohio State in the elite eight. So there was a decently sized minority that thought UConn would lose...

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I just saw an ESPN stat that said around 15% of brackets correctly picked Va. Tech vs. Ohio State in the elite eight. So there was a decently sized minority that thought UConn would lose...
I have a VT/SC final in 1 of my 10 brackets. Dead serious. Lol

Reaction Score

The SC men making the FF in ‘17 would not have made up for if the women’s team, led by A’ja, had got bounced before going to Dallas, so putting myself in Husky Nation’s shoes, there’s definitely no consolation. Losing when you have I expectations sucks. I still haven’t gotten over Gamecocks’ tourney losses in ‘15, ‘16, and ‘21. Still get a little miffed when I think back on those.

Reaction Score
I told you “at least our men didn’t finish dead last in conference” would be little consolation.

Reaction Score
Geno probably kicking himself after tonight's results. He had the talent with his Top7 to win it this year, despite all the injuries and fatigue. Just a horrible performance against OSU.

Reaction Score
Geno probably kicking himself after tonight's results. He had the talent with his Top7 to win it this year, despite all the injuries and fatigue. Just a horrible performance against OSU.
I don’t think so. They were too beaten up, no way would the team have survived with the 7 rotational players intact. Aubrey, Caroline Lou and Nika were in visible pain the whole Ohio State game with Azzi and Dorka still recovering from earlier season injuries that could easily be reaggrevated. In hindsight they are fortunate they made it out of the tournament without any season ending injuries for next year or for seniors heading to the WNBA this year.

There is no way UConn would have survived 3 more games in a week plus practice and travel with everyone in tact and won.

Reaction Score
The SC men making the FF in ‘17 would not have made up for if the women’s team, led by A’ja, had got bounced before going to Dallas, so putting myself in Husky Nation’s shoes, there’s definitely no consolation. Losing when you have I expectations sucks. I still haven’t gotten over Gamecocks’ tourney losses in ‘15, ‘16, and ‘21. Still get a little miffed when I think back on those.
This years loss was nothing compared to:

That 1997 team steamrolled everyone and was sooooooo much better than everyone else. Then it all went down the drain when Shea Ralph tore her ACL in the first round of the NCAAT against Lehigh.

2001 was AWFUL, but it fueled 2002, so they got redemption.

2018 is the one that haunts me the most though. We were so, so, so good. It was Gabby, Kia, Lou, and Phee's chance to have their own championship and not the one(s) Stewie, Tuck, and Moriah won. As we get further removed from that year though, I look back on the game against Notre Dame in amazement.

These were the 11 players between the two rosters

Kia
Gabby
Lou
Phee
Crystal
A'Zura
Arike
Marina
Jackie
Brianna(injured)
Jess

That's 11 WNBA starters, or almost starters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom