Some Christyn Williams help? | The Boneyard

Some Christyn Williams help?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Would someone point me in the direction of a tape of her playing....thanks!
Any of our recruiting gurus have a player comparison for her [Coco?]?
Maybe Cappie Pondexter?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe Cappie Pondexter?
Cappie may be a good comparison. I like a combo: Durr (left-handed sharpshooter), Ogunbowale (strong and aggressive), and Taurasi (physical, aggressive, and clutch).

HGN

Reaction Score
Cappie may be a good comparison. I like a combo: Durr (left-handed sharpshooter), Ogunbowale (strong and aggressive), and Taurasi (physical, aggressive, and clutch).
The Cappie comparison is a good one...........Chrystyn is good with either hand from what I have seen but I think a little better going left. But bottom line , she is a great GET and is going to help keep the UCONN train going.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Christyn, listed at 5'11" some places and 5'10" at USA Basketball, is a little taller than Cappie, who is generally considered to be 5'9".

Christyn mostly shoots and dribbles lefty, but claims to be ambidextrous. Very skilled!

Reaction Score
Williams does like to do it all herself at times, I'm sure there will be a bit of a learning curve for Williams, but looking at ESPN this could be the 1st time in a long time that Uconn has gotten a high level scoring guard top 10(since Taurasi)?. I believe Durr, Ogunbowale, and Loyd are all guards Geno showed interest in, but both parties went another direction. I think Williams will be able to take over games, but Uconn doesn't have many close games now days.

Reaction Score
Williams does like to do it all herself at times, I'm sure there will be a bit of a learning curve for Williams, but looking at ESPN this could be the 1st time in a long time that Uconn has gotten a high level scoring guard top 10(since Taurasi)?. I believe Durr, Ogunbowale, and Loyd are all guards Geno showed interest in, but both parties went another direction. I think Williams will be able to take over games, but Uconn doesn't have many close games now days.

went to look back to see if KLS was listed as a guard or a wing........it was as a wing........a bit off topic but interesting to see how the 2015 ESPN top 100 panned out

2015 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN

Reaction Score
This could be the year Higgs breaks out. I hope so. I think the early plan was to start Sutton to allow McCarty more freedom to play off the ball and look for her own shot. A minor (I hope) injury to Sutton gave Higgs the start in exhibition and the first game. Sutton did play yesterday and looked really good. Higgs looked fantastic. Texas has 4 really good guards.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe Cappie Pondexter?
She actually more like a left handed Katie Douglas ( that was a joke, Katie is actually left handed) flat out scorer at all level of the court. Very physical off the bounce and is able to take contact and finish. She has all the tools to to be a great Physical defender like Kia Nurse and the ability to deliver some of the same passes at full speed in trasition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who would the experts on here rather have CW or MW? Who has a higher ceiling?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who would the experts on here rather have CW or MW? Who has a higher ceiling?
Experts? On here?
To me it depends on what the rest of your roster looks like. On next years UCONN team for example I would rather have CW because I will have 2 AA (Napheesa & KLS) that can play the wing which is a more natural position for MW. CW might be the best SG on UCONN next year and no that is not a prediction that she will start.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It looks like they got the top 11 right, maybe Higgs is the only player who could be a bit over ranked, but she has been playing behind the Big 12 POY.
You looked at the list and came up with HIGGS being over ranked? Shepard, the two Euros at 4/5, Lambert and then outside your top 11 qualifier at 12/13 the train wreck that is Cooper as well as Patberg are all over-rated. Shepard IS NOT A 3 rank in any imagination. She will be absolutely gassed when ND plays UConn and it will be worse than the Nebraska game last year.
While on my mini ND rant (sorry Dillon/Orang) how could Boley be ranked #5 in 2016 and get so little play time and then transfer? Was she over-ranked or underused?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it's very, very close. That duo will be dynamic!

Milford can you help me out. Every time I've seen MW, I haven't seen a lot. Granted I've only watched all star games, pre season games and our first game. I feel like Geno really hyped up maya, Diana, stewie, and KLS. I don't feel the same buzz with MW? Am I way off base here??

Reaction Score
Experts? On here?
To me it depends on what the rest of your roster looks like. On next years UCONN team for example I would rather have CW because I will have 2 AA (Napheesa & KLS) that can play the wing which is a more natural position for MW. CW might be the best SG on UCONN next year and no that is not a prediction that she will start.

Interesting thank u

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Milford can you help me out. Every time I've seen MW, I haven't seen a lot. Granted I've only watched all star games, pre season games and our first game. I feel like Geno really hyped up maya, Diana, stewie, and KLS. I don't feel the same buzz with MW? Am I way off base here??
Geno has never hyped up an incoming player and probably never will. The mention players through performance hyped themselves. Give Megan some time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Try to be patient. We've noted that Meg is not a superlative shooter (like KLS or KML). But she has a WNBA body and is quick and strong. She's also smart. Meg is working hard and moving well. I think she's a little tentative, but that will disappear. I don't think she's at the level of Maya, Stewie, or Diana, but she should be comparable to Kaleena and Lou. She comes off the bench in the first quarter, which is a good sign. Let's see what she does in home games this week.

Reaction Score
Geno has never hyped up an incoming player and probably never will. The mention players through performance hyped themselves. Give Megan some time.

No I totally will give her all the time. All the former number 1 recruits showed flashes of the coming greatness. I just personally haven't seen it yet. I saying it's probably my lack of watching HS hoops. I'm sure she'll be wonderful.

Reaction Score
Try to be patient. We've noted that Meg is not a superlative shooter (like KLS or KML). But she has a WNBA body and is quick and strong. She's also smart. Meg is working hard and moving well. I think she's a little tentative, but that will disappear. I don't think she's at the level of Maya, Stewie, or Diana, but she should be comparable to Kaleena and Lou. She comes off the bench in the first quarter, which is a good sign. Let's see what she does in home games this week.

Good post. Thanks. I'm sure she will succeed. I got great seats for the ND game. 10th row can't wait.

Reaction Score
No I totally will give her all the time. All the former number 1 recruits showed flashes of the coming greatness. I just personally haven't seen it yet. I saying it's probably my lack of watching HS hoops. I'm sure she'll be wonderful.

I haven't seen her much - but initial look seems like eventually she can be extremely effective in guarding 2/3 combo players and what makes her potentially super imo is she can guard most pg's and guard "stretch power forwards." I think her versatiliy is what makes her elite. I'm not concerned that she "doesn't act like number 1." Collier and Gabby and Danger weren't number 1's.

I'm expecting each year her shot to improve. For example Gabby was awful shooting her frosh year. Collier in her frosh year couldn't from 3, but we saw she was able to knock down free throws. Gabby's touch became better from both f/t line and perimeter along the same time. She developed a touch at the ft line which eventually showed she could knock down outside shots. And she didn't show much handle (though I'm sure as frosh and soph she had it to an extent.) This year I expect Meg's outside shooting to be erratic. But I expect in time every other part of her game to shown off. She looks like she can do everything else. It's just that she a freshman and will be erratic and mess up at times and be overwhelmed at times.

I'm looking to see how she rebounds in traffic. Defensively if she can tear down rebounds and make passes that lead to a break or grab the rebound and then put the ball on the deck and lead a fast break like what we see from Gabby. If you give the ball to Lou or Collier at mid court on the break - they don't accelerate with the ball in their hands. I'd be interested to see Meg in the open court also with an ability to lead breaks - thus be bale to set up Lou and Collier or make players herself. Teams will look to deny Danger the outlet pass on breaks. It seems to me that Walker can be a freight train in uptempo, can defend well, is probably very knowledegeable in what to do with the ball and is very physical for her size. I'm hopeful in time she'd become a defensive menace.

It's her versatility, strength and length for a guard able to play also the 4, and guard like skill I think can be/is special. Not as physical as Gabby - more "guard-like" but in similar mold. See how she plays/scores/passes/rebounds in traffic.

Reaction Score
I was at the first pre-season game and what shocked me about Walker was her fluidity. She just seemed to glide and--more importantly--know where to glide. Even in those few minutes it was clear that she had fantastic instincts. Some players walk on the court and everyone instantly knows she's an alpha. That's Walker.

Reaction Score
I was at the first pre-season game and what shocked me about Walker was her fluidity. She just seemed to glide and--more importantly--know where to glide. Even in those few minutes it was clear that she had fantastic instincts. Some players walk on the court and everyone instantly knows she's an alpha. That's Walker.
With UConn having so many good shooters, with Frosh, I tend to look first at their defense to understand the minutes Geno will provide. Due to her being such a good athlete, suspect Walker did not need to concentrate on defense in high school. Predict with Geno's "help," she will be use her physical skills to be one of the best in this area by year's end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom