Some Basketball Steps: Lesson 1 | The Boneyard

Some Basketball Steps: Lesson 1

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, feeling withdrawal symptoms from our recruiting flurry, I went back to review some of the information on our new recruits. This caught my eye about Nika:

"She has great vision and court awareness," Galligan said. "Her handle is impressive. She does a lot with side steps and Eurosteps. She can knock down an open 3, but where she is elite is how she gets to the rim and creates for herself or a teammate.
"When she gets to the open floor, it's game over." When UConn called, it was game on for Croatian recruit Nika Muhl

So, what are the Eurosteps? As the NBA gained European players they picked up the Eurosteps. According to some the early period 2008ish was difficult, because the refs were confused and likely to call a travel ( I suspect in ref think it was hey he couldn't do that without traveling). The refs caught on and so did a lot of NBA guards.

I suspect this is in Ania's repertoire too. We should be up on this stuff too, right? Anyway, here is an NBA coach explaining 3 variations of Eurosteps driving for a contested layup.

Reaction Score
You get 2 steps starting when the dribble stops. Sometimes it's hard to know when the dribble stops.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You get 2 steps starting when the dribble stops. Sometimes it's hard to know when the dribble stops.

I got that. That was the rule back in the day when we played. The Euro step incorporates 3 steps, or a BIG leap back or to the side. That's the part I'm having a problem with. Back then, that was a travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
So, feeling withdrawal symptoms from our recruiting flurry, I went back to review some of the information on our new recruits. This caught my eye about Nika:

"She has great vision and court awareness," Galligan said. "Her handle is impressive. She does a lot with side steps and Eurosteps. She can knock down an open 3, but where she is elite is how she gets to the rim and creates for herself or a teammate.
"When she gets to the open floor, it's game over." When UConn called, it was game on for Croatian recruit Nika Muhl

So, what are the Eurosteps? As the NBA gained European players they picked up the Eurosteps. According to some the early period 2008ish was difficult, because the refs were confused and likely to call a travel ( I suspect in ref think it was hey he couldn't do that without traveling). The refs caught on and so did a lot of NBA guards.

I suspect this is in Ania's repertoire too. We should be up on this stuff too, right? Anyway, here is an NBA coach explaining 3 variations of Eurosteps driving for a contested layup.

Thanks Rocky, nice video . I think I have seen these "Euro-Steps" for top guards in the past. Some refs MAY call travelling on those moves as they called on Stewie.

Reaction Score
MJ's final dribble started at the bottom after the last ball bounce and continued up until his hand and the ball were above the basket for a dunk. He could start this from half court, and was apparently still "dribbling" as long as his ball hand was still on the way up while he was taking those 7 steps.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
In the Men's game, you have to take ONE USA step from half court to the basket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom