Some Adjusting To Do? | The Boneyard

Some Adjusting To Do?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"For the longest time, we’ve not been like anybody else, and now we find ourselves in the position where we’re not just like anybody else, don’t get me wrong, but we’re not what we used to be and that’s going to take some adjustment.”

Are we adjusting or just hoping?

A number of things can fall into place and we will be real happy campers, but as Geno makes plain we are still an early year work in progress. Five takeaways from ESPN Media Day with UConn's Geno Auriemma, Katie Lou Samuelson

More confirmation of likely starting 5 and Katie Lou assesses what her bad ankle meant (and it's gone!). And she assesses what CW and Meg bring:

“I think we’ve learned each day how Christyn plays and what she kind of likes to do. She likes to attack the basket. She’s really good with the ball, so we understand that if we throw the ball up to Christyn, she’s going to drive and she’s going to get something good for us. Megan’s really good at that high post area and finding out how to score on her man. As we figure stuff out and work together, it’s been really good to kind of adjust, but if we have bad days, me, [Napheesa] and Crystal understand that we kind of need to pick things up.”

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In an updated article last evening Bonjour quotes Geno as he dials down our expectations:

“If you look at our starting five, you go, ‘Well, you have three really good players and you found four and five,” said Auriemma, who returns Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier and Crystal Dangerfield as starters. “It’s the first time we’ve been in that situation in a long, long time. Think about it. I’m thinking it’s probably since Diana (Taurasi’s) junior year that we started two kids that have never started a game at UConn. That might be the first time before today.
“… I can remember when Diana was a junior, we started two freshmen. But we could’ve started me and you.”

Auriemma: UConn ranked No. 2 on reputation, not merit

Reaction Score
In an updated article last evening Bonjour quotes Geno as he dials down our expectations:

“If you look at our starting five, you go, ‘Well, you have three really good players and you found four and five,” said Auriemma, who returns Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier and Crystal Dangerfield as starters. “It’s the first time we’ve been in that situation in a long, long time. Think about it. I’m thinking it’s probably since Diana (Taurasi’s) junior year that we started two kids that have never started a game at UConn. That might be the first time before today.
“… I can remember when Diana was a junior, we started two freshmen. But we could’ve started me and you.”

Auriemma: UConn ranked No. 2 on reputation, not merit

Didn't Hartley and Dolson start as freshman?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Didn't Hartley and Dolson start as freshman?
Yes they did.
Not really.
UCONN opened that season against Holy Cross that year. Geno was probably sandbagging because the next game was against Baylor with Griner. The UCONN starting lineup for Holy Cross was Maya, Heather Buck, Lorin Dixon, Kelly Faris & Tiffany Hayes. The second game of the season (Baylor) Buck and Dixon were replaced by Dolson and Hartley and the legend of big shot Bria was born.

Reaction Score
Not a bleep in that article about Camara and Gordon, which may not be a good sign for them.

Reaction Score
Not a bleep in that article about Camara and Gordon, which may not be a good sign for them.
The team has 11 players, so not every media story can talk about all of them every time. Other schools do the same, but don't worry their time will come.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The team has 11 players, so not every media story can talk about all of them every time. Other schools do the same, but don't worry their time will come.
True but...Some are projecting Camara to start or play a significant role on this team. It is not just this article, Camara has not been mentioned in any article that I can recall since the spring.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not really.
UCONN opened that season against Holy Cross that year. Geno was probably sandbagging because the next game was against Baylor with Griner. The UCONN starting lineup for Holy Cross was Maya, Heather Buck, Lorin Dixon, Kelly Faris & Tiffany Hayes. The second game of the season (Baylor) Buck and Dixon were replaced by Dolson and Hartley and the legend of big shot Bria was born.
If Dolson and Hartley started the second game of the season when they were freshmen doesn't that mean they started as freshmen. It should not matter that it was not the first game of the season. When they were freshmen they started games so, huskynut's answer was correct or at least it seems to me it was.

Reaction Score
True but...Some are projecting Camara to start or play a significant role on this team. It is not just this article, Camara has not been mentioned in any article that I can recall since the spring.
Because she won't be starting and is likely behind Coombs and Irwin on depth chart.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Dolson and Hartley started the second game of the season when they were freshmen doesn't that mean they started as freshmen. It should not matter that it was not the first game of the season. When they were freshmen they started games so, huskynut's answer was correct or at least it seems to me it was.
Semantics? Let me clarify: The starting lineup the first game of the season did not included Bria or Stephanie in 2010. They took Samarie Walker's bio down from the UCONN archives but also got a start against Lehigh 5th game of the season. Was Samarie also a starter that season? That would be 3 Freshmenin the 2010 recruiting class that were starters as Freshmen. Saniya Chong and Kiah were in the starting lineup at the start of the 2014-15 season-what about them? Napheesa and KLS also started games as Freshmen does that count?

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Semantics? Let me clarify: The starting lineup the first game of the season did not included Bria or Stephanie in 2010. They took Samarie Walker's bio down from the UCONN archives but also got a start against Lehigh 5th game of the season. Was Samarie also a starter that season? That would be 3 Freshmenin the 2010 recruiting class that were starters as Freshmen. Saniya Chong and Kiah were in the starting lineup at the start of the 2014-15 season-what about them? Napheesa and KLS also started games as Freshmen does that count?
Yes. The players you named were starters at one time and lost their starting spots. Napheesa and KLS were starters during their freshmen season. Napheesa lost her starting spot after a few games. Semantics maybe, but still true.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

To my way of thinking, we haven't heard much about anything

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom