Some Accurate (!) Information on Players' Heights | The Boneyard

Some Accurate (!) Information on Players' Heights

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
After yesterday's commitment by Aaliyah Edwards, I went back (as others did) to watch the Canada-USA game that was played recently in Puerto Rico. This was the senior team for both sides (no age restrictions). The USA team included Sylvia Fowles, Tina Charles, Stef Dolson, Elizabeth Williams, Napheesa, and KLS (among relatively tall players). The Canadian team included Aaliyah (and the Canadian announcer for the game seemed to say her name as "Lee Edwards" --?).

The gold mine for Boneyard-useful information came before the opening tip, when they displayed the heights of everyone on both rosters in hundredths of a meter. I'm assuming that this is more accurate than most listings in conventional feet/inches that we usually rely on. Here are the heights given for the players named above:

A. Edwards: 1.91 meters
K. Samuelson: 1.92
E. Williams: 1.91
T. Charles: 1.93
O. Nelson-Ododa: 1.96
S. Dolson: 1.96
N. Collier: 1.86
S. Fowles: 1.98

A quick Google search revealed that the conversion rate between meters and inches is 1 meter = 39.37 inches. That also implies that one hundredth of a meter is equal to 4/10 of an inch (actually 0.3937 inches).

So, Aaliyah's height in inches is 75.1967 inches, or 6 feet 3.2 inches tall. So she is NOT 6-2, as Hoopgurlz and others list her. She is in fact the same size as Elizabeth Williams, less than an inch shorter than Tina Charles, and a full two inches taller than Napheesa. She is taller than Morgan Tuck, if Morgan is in fact 6-2. That is plenty big enough to be an elite rebounder and post scorer at the NCAA level.

I will put my comments on her game in the thread on her recruitment, but I thought that these seemingly precise height measurements deserved a thread of their own.

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
After yesterday's commitment by Aaliyah Edwards, I went back (as others did) to watch the Canada-USA game that was played recently in Puerto Rico. This was the senior team for both sides (no age restrictions). The USA team included Sylvia Fowles, Tina Charles, Stef Dolson, Elizabeth Williams, Napheesa, and KLS (among relatively tall players). The Canadian team included Aaliyah (and the Canadian announcer for the game seemed to say her name as "Lee Edwards" --?).

The gold mine for Boneyard-useful information came before the opening tip, when they displayed the heights of everyone on both rosters in hundreds of a meter. I'm assuming that this is more accurate than most listings in conventional feet/inches that we usually rely on. Here are the heights given for the players named above:

A quick Google search revealed that the conversion rate between meters and inches is 1 meter = 39.37 inches. That also implies that one hundredth of a meter is equal to 4/10 of an inch (actually 0.3937 inches).

So, Aaliyah's height in inches is 75.1967 inches, or 6 feet 3.2 inches tall. So she is NOT 6-2, as Hoopgurlz and others list her. She is in fact the same size as Elizabeth Williams, less than an inch shorter than Tina Charles, and a full two inches taller than Napheesa. She is taller than Morgan Tuck, if Morgan is in fact 6-2. That is plenty big enough to be an elite rebounder and post scorer at the NCAA level.

I will put my comments on her game in the thread on her recruitment, but I thought that these seemingly precise height measurements deserved a thread of their own.

But....what does this all mean in Hartley Units?!???

:p

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

The gold mine for Boneyard-useful information came before the opening tip, when they displayed the heights of everyone on both rosters in hundreds of a meter. I'm assuming that this is more accurate than most listings in conventional feet/inches that we usually rely on. Here are the heights given for the players named above:

Was expecting to see Bria Hartley's name somewhere in one of these 6 paragraphs. Don't think you had to go to 4 decimal point on the inches thing, "Baby Girl" is going to grab plenty of rebounds and score inside and out. That was going to happen even if she was 5'11"-it is about the motor and the heart.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
So, Aaliyah's height in inches is 75.1967 inches, or 6 feet 3.2 inches tall. So she is NOT 6-2, as Hoopgurlz and others list her.
Ms. Edwards is 6'2" tall irrespective of incorrectly published heights. See the photo below. Aaliyah is #15 third from left, back row. She is standing next to Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe #7 who is 6' 2" tall. To the right of Ms. Edwards is Kayla Alexander #14 who is 6' 4" tall. The player to the right of Raincock-Ekunwe is Ruth Hamblin #22 who is 6'6" tall. Even the Canadian nation team lists Ms. Edwards height incorrectly. Clearly Aaliyah is 6'2" tall if that.
1572038474708.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ms. Edwards is 6'2" tall irrespective of incorrectly published heights. See the photo below. Aaliyah is #15 third from left, back row. She is standing next to Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe #7 who is 6' 2" tall. To the right of Ms. Edwards is Kayla Alexander #14 who is 6' 4" tall. The player to the right of Raincock-Ekunwe is Ruth Hamblin #22 who is 6'6" tall. Even the Canadian nation team lists Ms. Edwards height incorrectly. Clearly Aaliyah is 6'2" tall if that.
View attachment 47447
OMG! Is she wearing sneakers in the photo, I can't tell? And wasn't that picture taken a couple of months weeks ago?

JoePgh

Reaction Score
View attachment 47447
Judging height from pictures is not particularly accurate (can be affected by footwear and variations in the platform on which they are standing), and it assumes that the heights stated in your e-mail for the other players are to be taken as gospel. I wish I knew exactly how the meters listed for the players in the tournament record are generated, but I would assume that it involves an original measurement since US teams would not ordinarily measure height in meters. The relative heights of the other US players (which show, for instance, that Stef and ONO are the same height and both are about an inch shorter than Fowles), as given in the original post, seem plausible and reliable at least to me.

Reaction Score
Ruth Hamblin is 6’7”
Hamblin is 6-6, as she is listed everywhere.

Definitely looks as though Edwards is 6-2. WBB heights can get so inflated though, so who knows. Seems like Geno keeps most of them pretty true.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Was expecting to see Bria Hartley's name somewhere in one of these 6 paragraphs. Don't think you had to go to 4 decimal point on the inches thing, "Baby Girl" is going to grab plenty of rebounds and score inside and out. That was going to happen even if she was 5'11"-it is about the motor and the heart.
I like your last sentence!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you watch the US/CAN game, you’ll see Aliyah mixing it up on the boards with Tina, Sylvia, Steph and others. She has the heart of a rebounder. More than that, Aaliyah has long arms and she is exceptionally quick off the floor going after the ball. I expect her to be a great rebounder when facing mere college level opponents, whatever her height may be.

Reaction Score
Curious why listing height in meters instead of in feet makes the height any more (or less) accurate. Programs exaggerate heights all the time. If they choose to do that, it is irrelevant what metric they use to display the inaccurate information.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Curious why listing height in meters instead of in feet makes the height any more (or less) accurate. Programs exaggerate heights all the time. If they choose to do that, it is irrelevant what metric they use to display the inaccurate information.
How about listing height in cubits? :rolleyes:

JoePgh

Reaction Score
The reason I assume that these measurements are more accurate is that this is an international competition which is not under the control of the players' colleges or pro teams. Moreover, they are providing the same measurements for every national team in the tournament, which creates the expectation that the measurements are done consistently for all the participating teams. I don't see why the organizers of an international tournament such as this would have an incentive to exaggerate the height of any player or any team.

Since at least one of the major participants (the USA) undoubtedly does not keep internal records that are denominated in meters (and there would be an obvious lack of comparability in converting a USA-provided height in feet/inches into hundredths of meters when other countries would require no similar conversion), an obvious remedy would be for the tournament organizers to require or actually perform a fresh measurement in meters under controlled conditions (e.g., requiring players to be barefoot when measured). I hope (but can't confirm) that such a fresh measurement was done in this case.

Reaction Score
Hamblin is 6-6, as she is listed everywhere.

Definitely looks as though Edwards is 6-2. WBB heights can get so inflated though, so who knows. Seems like Geno keeps most of them pretty true.
Correct. Yes, 6'6"

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If you watch the US/CAN game, you’ll see Aliyah mixing it up on the boards with Tina, Sylvia, Steph and others. She has the heart of a rebounder. More than that, Aaliyah has long arms and she is exceptionally quick off the floor going after the ball. I expect her to be a great rebounder when facing mere college level opponents, whatever her height may be.
I'm glad someone else notice that Ms. Edwards has extremely long arms and large hands.

Reaction Score
The reason I assume that these measurements are more accurate is that this is an international competition which is not under the control of the players' colleges or pro teams. Moreover, they are providing the same measurements for every national team in the tournament, which creates the expectation that the measurements are done consistently for all the participating teams. I don't see why the organizers of an international tournament such as this would have an incentive to exaggerate the height of any player or any team.

Since at least one of the major participants (the USA) undoubtedly does not keep internal records that are denominated in meters (and there would be an obvious lack of comparability in converting a USA-provided height in feet/inches into hundredths of meters when other countries would require no similar conversion), an obvious remedy would be for the tournament organizers to require or actually perform a fresh measurement in meters under controlled conditions (e.g., requiring players to be barefoot when measured). I hope (but can't confirm) that such a fresh measurement was done in this case.
Respectably Joe, I don't believe basketball games/tournaments are like boxing matches where you have weigh-ins. Teams are simply asked to provide players info-including height for the programs.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Well, just a thought but it we assume no attempt at bias the american foot / inches system (generally) rounds to the nearest inch while the metric meters system with .01 meter resolution rounds to the nearest cm so since 1" ~ 2.5 cm, metric measurements are inherently more accurate if done correctly. Of course, we do not need that level of resolution since it serves no real useful purpose.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Well, just a thought but it we assume no attempt at bias the american foot / inches system (generally) rounds to the nearest inch while the metric meters system with .01 meter resolution rounds to the nearest cm so since 1" ~ 2.5 cm, metric measurements are inherently more accurate if done correctly. Of course, we do not need that level of resolution since it serves no real useful purpose.
Facts are sooooo confusing!

Reaction Score
When I played high school football the program book listed every player on the team at least 20-30 pounds heavier than their actual wait. Never believe program books. I was listed at 6 feet (with size 12 feet) because when I hit six feet I stopped measuring. I was actually six one and my feet size 13, which accounted for ingrown toe nails.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When I played high school football the program book listed every player on the team at least 20-30 pounds heavier than their actual wait. Never believe program books. I was listed at 6 feet (with size 12 feet) because when I hit six feet I stopped measuring. I was actually six one and my feet size 13, which accounted for ingrown toe nails.
Nowadays, we list our weight at 20-30 pounds lighter than our actual weight...,:(

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Nowadays, we list our weight at 20-30 pounds lighter than our actual weight...,:(
But I still like to say I'm at least a few years older than I really am. Yes, I'm a sucker for compliments.

Reaction Score

The gold mine for Boneyard-useful information came before the opening tip, when they displayed the heights of everyone on both rosters in hundredths of a meter. I'm assuming that this is more accurate than most listings in conventional feet/inches that we usually rely on. Here are the heights given for the players named above:

So, you are saying Phee is 100 millimeters under Steph in height?
If you want to provide accurate height reported do it with the current team. ONO is the same height as Steph??? I.E. Dolson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom