Soccer will never make it in this country | The Boneyard

Soccer will never make it in this country

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I gotta say, the Premier League made a great choice in going with NBC. They have pumped the heck out of the sport/league in terms of getting viewership and have done, IMO, an awesome job with their coverage. Fox NEVER did anything like NBC has done. Fox carried their EPL games on Fox Soccer yet never had ads on Fox. NBC carries EPL games on NBCSN and has ads on NBC all the time. Plus, you don't have to pay extra to get every Premier league game live anymore so more people can watch the games they want to watch.

Massive props need to be given to NBC for helping the Premier league grow it's TV viewership. I'm dreading the World Cup on Fox in 2018....

Reaction Score
I gotta say, the Premier League made a great choice in going with NBC. They have pumped the heck out of the sport/league in terms of getting viewership and have done, IMO, an awesome job with their coverage. Fox NEVER did anything like NBC has done. Fox carried their EPL games on Fox Soccer yet never had ads on Fox. NBC carries EPL games on NBCSN and has ads on NBC all the time. Plus, you don't have to pay extra to get every Premier league game live anymore so more people can watch the games they want to watch.

Massive props need to be given to NBC for helping the Premier league grow it's TV viewership. I'm dreading the World Cup on Fox in 2018....

Exactly, FOX would have never done something like Coach Lasso. NBC Sports goes all in with everything they show, whether it is Cycling, EPL, F1, and even IndyCar.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I still wish we had a FoxSoccer Channel, instead of the FoxSports1, because you could get soccer 24/7. Even if they were reruns of games. BUT, NBC has done a fabulous job with the EPL. And with the streaming, you can get every game one way or the other.

Reaction Score
So far the soccer I have watched on FOX lately has been less than impressive. I really hope they get their game together in four years time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So far the soccer I have watched on FOX lately has been less than impressive. I really hope they get their game together in four years time.
Agreed, it's like NBC and ESPN took all the on air talent. (and off air for that matter)

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I still wish we had a FoxSoccer Channel, instead of the FoxSports1, because you could get soccer 24/7. Even if they were reruns of games. BUT, NBC has done a fabulous job with the EPL. And with the streaming, you can get every game one way or the other.
Mostly every league minus EPL and Australian A-League left Fox Sports for BeIN the last year before NBC took over. Still itching to get BeIN but can't stomach paying $10 a month knowing some of that is going to the B1G and Pac 12 bc their networks are included in the package. SEC is also now probably thrown in there

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Mostly every league minus EPL and Australian A-League left Fox Sports for BeIN the last year before NBC took over. Still itching to get BeIN but can't stomach paying $10 a month knowing some of that is going to the B1G and Pac 12 bc their networks are included in the package. SEC is also now probably thrown in there
I get BeIN Sports, but it just switched over from FoxSoccer. I had the package (Sports Entertainment Package) with that in it and they just replaced it. Took awhile though.

With it I get BeIN Sports, NFL Redzone, ESPN Goalline (college I think), CBS Sports, PAC-12, FOX College, and Tennis and Outside Television (???).

I get B1G too, but must not be in that package.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I get BeIN Sports, but it just switched over from FoxSoccer. I had the package (Sports Entertainment Package) with that in it and they just replaced it. Took awhile though.

With it I get BeIN Sports, NFL Redzone, ESPN Goalline (college I think), CBS Sports, PAC-12, FOX College, and Tennis and Outside Television (???).

I get B1G too, but must not be in that package.
That package is similar to the one offered on COX. We get Redzone separately and the cost is cheaper than paying for 12 months at $10 a month. Just not worth it right now but very tempted.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I like the way NBC is breaking down key plays at halftime and post-game. It is really helping my understanding. Also, they have added the Men In Blazers. I thought those guys were great during the World Cup.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
What most new fans fail to grasp about soccer is the fluidity of the tactics. Imagine if the players in football could line up anywhere on the field and snap the ball at any time from any position on the field (like rugby) it changes the game quite a bit. Specialization becomes a negative. Position, space, and timing are put at a premium and players who can best manipulated them on the fly with a high level of technical skills are the most coveted.

Reaction Score
What most new fans fail to grasp about soccer is the fluidity of the tactics. Imagine if the players in football could line up anywhere on the field and snap the ball at any time from any position on the field (like rugby) it changes the game quite a bit. Specialization becomes a negative. Position, space, and timing are put at a premium and players who can best manipulated them on the fly with a high level of technical skills are the most coveted.

I agree with that. But I also think that people cannot truly appreciate the space and the amazing that the players do with the ball until they see a high level game in person.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think soccer quietly hit a critical mass in the US this year. I think it will snowball going forward.

I'm not really a big fan, but we have an Apple TV running a XBMC and there's basically a soccer game on from somewhere 24/7.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
NBC Sports is really doing a good job with it's coverage. Like the NFL, every game is on TV (no satellite required) and you know it's on the same time every week. Also helps that it's better than the 3rd rerun of Sportscenter.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
The time of the games is a huge help as there's nothing good on at the same time. Great way to start a Football Sunday! NBC does a great job though and their promoting of the game has been great

Reaction Score
I wish someone would carry Bundesliga games. Back in the 80's Bundesliga highlights were available on "Soccer Made in Germany" broadcast by PBS stations with Toby Charles doing the play by play. The USMNT has had many connections with Germany, so I would think there would be some interest here.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I wish someone would carry Bundesliga games. Back in the 80's Bundesliga highlights were available on "Soccer Made in Germany" broadcast by PBS stations with Toby Charles doing the play by play. The USMNT has had many connections with Germany, so I would think there would be some interest here.
FS1 has the rights starting 2015 so you'll get your wish. Currently, GOLTV carries games but I find it's coverage terrible and it's in non-HD

Reaction Score
Agreed, GzoL's production value is crap. The games/style of play is pretty entertaining, unfortunately it doesn't translate with their coverage.

Reaction Score
Used to love watching and listening to Toby Charles recap games on Soccer Made In Germany. Great memories.

Reaction Score
I have come to the conclusion that I will never become a fan of an EPL team. Don't know why. I've watched a lot of it over the last few years. I can root for Swansea and Sunderland and maybe Fulham if they were competent, but none of the top teams appeal to me at all.

Whereas teams like Roma or Barcelona have some appeal. Don't know what it is about the EPL.

Reaction Score
I have come to the conclusion that I will never become a fan of an EPL team. Don't know why. I've watched a lot of it over the last few years. I can root for Swansea and Sunderland and maybe Fulham if they were competent, but none of the top teams appeal to me at all.

Whereas teams like Roma or Barcelona have some appeal. Don't know what it is about the EPL.

For some reason I like Man City. Kompany seems like good people and they seem to be building a global organization with all of the clubs City Group is buying.

But for the most part it's like cycling to me, I just enjoy the sport of it all.

MLS has become rewarding enough for me now. I have been to 4 Sporting games and I am on the season ticket waiting list, you actually get to feel like a part of the club versus some distant foreign entity.

Reaction Score
For some reason I like Man City. Kompany seems like good people and they seem to be building a global organization with all of the clubs City Group is buying.

But for the most part it's like cycling to me, I just enjoy the sport of it all.

MLS has become rewarding enough for me now. I have been to 4 Sporting games and I am on the season ticket waiting list, you actually get to feel like a part of the club versus some distant foreign entity.

I don't know what KC charges for tickets, but I'm going to the Toronto - Revs game with my daughter for $70 a pop next week. Crazy. They charged $100 a seat for the Euro club exhibitions last month.

Reaction Score
I don't know what KC charges for tickets, but I'm going to the Toronto - Revs game with my daughter for $70 a pop next week. Crazy. They charged $100 a seat for the Euro club exhibitions last month.

All you can find on Ticketmaster is resale. In the Members section I can get up to two tickets for $26 each, but those sell out always. Members area is were all the "atmosphere" comes from.

The ticket office told me I can pretty much rule out getting season tickets for next season, but if you place a deposit down then you get first crack at what is left for miniplans, playoffs, CONCACAF Champions League etc.

Reaction Score
Was watching the UConn-Temple Game/Abomination on my phone at a cookout Saturday afternoon. Between the relentless repeats of tha Man U Chevrolet commercial and the La Liga and EPL highlights at halftime on ESPNNews, I was reminded of the fact that soccer will never make it in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom