Soccer: Not a fan of the away goal rule for World Cup qualifying | The Boneyard

Soccer: Not a fan of the away goal rule for World Cup qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It only slows down the game and creates less offense.

Home teams become so conservative--like death fearing an away goal.

I'd rather see a shootout, and I hate shootouts.

Can anyone give a good reason for this rule?

Reaction Score
It seems pretty stupid to me. But then again in college football teams get ranked higher based on history, tradition and other qualitative factors.

Shoot outs would be better.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's not as bad as a replay.

I'd rather see a different tie-breaker. Shootouts do suck. Maybe last goal wins or last team to hold the aggregate lead.

Road goals assumes the fixture is a continuous event and it is more difficult to play on the road. The answer of course is to win the first leg or at least net a couple if you open on the road.

Reaction Score

I'd rather see a different tie-breaker. Shootouts do suck. Maybe last goal wins or last team to hold the aggregate lead.

Road goals assumes the fixture is a continuous event and it is more difficult to play on the road. The answer of course is to win the first leg or at least net a couple if you open on the road.

My pick complaint is that it makes home teams more conservative.

30 minutes of golden goal play should suffice.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Compared to soccer, football is tug of war. Baseball would be making shadow puppets.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It only slows down the game and creates less offense.

Home teams become so conservative--like death fearing an away goal.

I'd rather see a shootout, and I hate shootouts.

Can anyone give a good reason for this rule?
Well most people are not too fond of Kicks from the Mark. They would rather them settle it actually playing. I think that's the biggest reason for it.

FIFA did a way with Golden Goals, again teams played very conservative not wanting to give up a goal. Could go straight to an extra 30, but then you are playing a extra 30 on someone's home field. Probably fairer to take into account Away Goals first.

On the other hand it does sometimes really open up the 2nd leg. One team usually has to chase the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom