Soccer in a baseball stadium (NYFC) | The Boneyard

Soccer in a baseball stadium (NYFC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So New York FC, which is basically a branch of Manchester City with the Yankees mixed is set to play in Yankees stadium. Does anyone know how that is going to work? I mean, will they be able to have a full size field?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So New York FC, which is basically a branch of Manchester City with the Yankees mixed is set to play in Yankees stadium. Does anyone know how that is going to work? I mean, will they be able to have a full size field?
Haven't they played games at Fenway the past few years (Liverpool that is)? I'd imagine if they can fit a football field there they can swing a soccer field.

Are they still trying to get a soccer specific stadium? I know the original plan fell through. I feel that this stadium set up might be wirsev than the Revs playing in Gillette

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The simple answer is yes.

A full size American football field is 120 yards long x 53 yard wide. While Soccer fields are typically wider than American football fields, According to FIFA laws of the game #1, 53 yards is within the allowable range of 45M (50yards) to 90M (100 yards) wide. They will probably offset the soccer field a bit one way or another to allow for a few more yards in width as compared to a football field. Both teams occupy the same sideline anyways.

Reaction Score
Yankee stadium has hosted exhibition soccer games in the past. Chelsea was there last year, Liverpool plays Man City there this week. However, at some point they will need a soccer specific stadium to accomodate a more engaging game day environment, which will be needed for a scalable and sustainable fan base. Yankee stadium may meet their needs in the short term, but if they're still playing there com 2017 or '18, that's not a good sign (IMO).

Reaction Score
Haven't they played games at Fenway the past few years (Liverpool that is)? I'd imagine if they can fit a football field there they can swing a soccer field.

Are they still trying to get a soccer specific stadium? I know the original plan fell through. I feel that this stadium set up might be wirsev than the Revs playing in Gillette

I think they are still looking for a spot within city limits. They will also need a training facility as well. Not sure what they are using for that. They have deep pockets so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Soccer on those smaller than normal but still regulation fields is often brutally bad.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Soccer on those smaller than normal but still regulation fields is often brutally bad.
Agreed, I hate those games on the smaller fields.

Reaction Score

I saw a game between Roma and Lublin at Wrigley Field last summer. It will work.

Reaction Score
Having a game at Yankee is a novelty (see UConn/Army football); but, the stadium was not set-up for soccer (or any other sport). The sightlines for any sport except baseball at Yankee are poor and it is also too large (+40K) for a MLS stadium and too expensive for (parking, concessions, etc.) for families to attend regularly. The positive is that it is mass transit accessible; but, I do not know if Metro North will run trains for NYC FC games like they do for the Yankees.

Basically, Yankee Stadium has become the fall back location due to the original plan of building a soccer specific stadium in Queens near City Field being buried by local residents, a new Mayor, and the Mets. It would have been a good spot too as gave access to both NYC and Long Island, the later has been a strong soccer base for decades. NYC FC is even having problems creating a practice facility as local residents also shot down them building a facility to Manhattanville College that would have been used by both organizations.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/training-facility-marketing-27691/

Reaction Score
Having a game at Yankee is a novelty (see UConn/Army football); but, the stadium was not set-up for soccer (or any other sport). The sightlines for any sport except baseball at Yankee are poor and it is also too large (+40K) for a MLS stadium and too expensive for (parking, concessions, etc.) for families to attend regularly. The positive is that it is mass transit accessible; but, I do not know if Metro North will run trains for NYC FC games like they do for the Yankees.

Basically, Yankee Stadium has become the fall back location due to the original plan of building a soccer specific stadium in Queens near City Field being buried by local residents, a new Mayor, and the Mets. It would have been a good spot too as gave access to both NYC and Long Island, the later has been a strong soccer base for decades. NYC FC is even having problems creating a practice facility as local residents also shot down them building a facility to Manhattanville College that would have been used by both organizations.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/training-facility-marketing-27691/

Yeah, I have a bad feeling about this club. I really like that Claudio Reyna is the DFO. I guess Man City saw him as one of their own so he is running their American Branch. What is interesting is that he said that the Man City U-21s were an option to place their players in before the 2015 season kicks off.

But then... somehow former Rutgers AD Tim Pernetti gets hired on in some sort of executive capacity. Rutgers jokes aside, they had a more competent Department while he was running it.

They just signed Frank Lampard to a two year deal. I thought this was a waste of resources. He's a big name but he isn't Beckham big but he is getting big money, something like 150k a week. I don't believe for a second that Frank Lampard is going to bump ticket sales up that high. In his advanced age, he runs like a glacier.

What would have been a stroke of genius would have been signing Jermaine Jones. That signing would have 10 times the juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom