So you wanna grow WCBB? Here's an idea | The Boneyard

So you wanna grow WCBB? Here's an idea

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It's Tuesday night, Feb 6 and you know how many P5 peripheral top 25 teams have games tonight? ZERO, bubkiss, nada, zippo, the big goose egg. We know about Big Monday which is a hit as we saw last night on both ESPN2 and FoxSports1. You can't tell me some of these schools can't think laterally once the month turns to February and say "hey, let's generate some interest by moving games from our league across 5 days of the week. Heck, I would even settle for the dregs of the AAC tonight.

I mean, can't the ACC, PAC12, Big10, Big12 and SEC identify local rivalries to play on Tuesdays and Wednesdays? They need to work togethr to grow the game so pick a few nights and split them but get games on. If OPEC can get it together can't these guys?

The worst is the PAC12, I like the novelty of playing Fri/Sun to cut down on missing class time but who are you, the Ivy's? No really, play a few games on Tuesday's and Wed that mesh with your calendar. I mean we heard about the 2 week sojourn the Stanford Cardinal had in the NCAA so having a mid-week game isn't that encumbering...Plus, you know the East Coast might actually want to know you play basketball....

I know the Olympics start later this week but if the sport has judging scoring it- I am OUT. Too much political subjectivity for my like. Give me races and games. Xgames on snow now...yuk...

Yes, I am bored today and need something to look forward to...Thanks for the patience of my rant.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's Tuesday night, Feb 6 and you know how many P5 peripheral top 25 teams have games tonight? ZERO, bubkiss, nada, zippo, the big goose egg. We know about Big Monday which is a hit as we saw last night on both ESPN2 and FoxSports1. You can't tell me some of these schools can't think laterally once the month turns to February and say "hey, let's generate some interest by moving games from our league across 5 days of the week. Heck, I would even settle for the dregs of the AAC tonight.

I mean, can't the ACC, PAC12, Big10, Big12 and SEC identify local rivalries to play on Tuesdays and Wednesdays? They need to work togethr to grow the game so pick a few nights and split them but get games on. If OPEC can get it together can't these guys?

The worst is the PAC12, I like the novelty of playing Fri/Sun to cut down on missing class time but who are you, the Ivy's? No really, play a few games on Tuesday's and Wed that mesh with your calendar. I mean we heard about the 2 week sojourn the Stanford Cardinal had in the NCAA so having a mid-week game isn't that encumbering...Plus, you know the East Coast might actually want to know you play basketball....

I know the Olympics start later this week but if the sport has judging scoring it- I am OUT. Too much political subjectivity for my like. Give me races and games. Xgames on snow now...yuk...

Yes, I am bored today and need something to look forward to...Thanks for the patience of my rant.

What rant?

Reaction Score

It might not be as simple as you think. In other words, a head coach of a women's basketball team can't just say let's play a game on such and such date and that's all it takes to make it happen.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It might not be as simple as you think. In other words, a head coach of a women's basketball team can't just say let's play a game on such and such date and that's all it takes to make it happen.
It's not any of the coaches, its the conference with television that schedules that. Getting 5 conference heads together for the good of the sport is logical. How to package the games to FS1, ESPN, CBSSports is the real issue. For the non-conference games, it is pretty much that easy but I am not talking about OOC. The conference does set up the days it wants to play and the teams just show up. There is some latitude in case OOC games like UConn/SC or UConn/Lou are scheduled.

Reaction Score
It's not any of the coaches, its the conference with television that schedules that. Getting 5 conference heads together for the good of the sport is logical. How to package the games to FS1, ESPN, CBSSports is the real issue. For the non-conference games, it is pretty much that easy but I am not talking about OOC. The conference does set up the days it wants to play and the teams just show up. There is some latitude in case OOC games like UConn/SC or UConn/Lou are scheduled.
You make some excellent points. Look at last nights game between USC & MSST. 10,000 people going crazy in the stands. Great game. A lot on the line. Last week 18,000 at USC vs. UConn. I agree with you, why can’t this be replicated across the other days of the week? ESPN certainly has enough channels to broadcast more games. Plus with the strength of the PAC 12 there’s the advatanage of having some later games on East coast. Somehow someone needs to light a fire under the conference presidents to bring more attention to WCBB. It’s time.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I watched the USC-UCLA game off and on, fairly entertaining and competitive game. Monday night for a Pac 12 game was an oddity. The Galen Center appeared to be...nearly empty. I don't think it would've mattered what day of the week the game was. Some Pac 12 schools draw fairly well (nothing like 18,000 though, none of them even play in arenas that big) but unfortunately some of the schools have a fairly apathetic fan base.

Reaction Score
I watched the USC-UCLA game off and on, fairly entertaining and competitive game. Monday night for a Pac 12 game was an oddity. The Galen Center appeared to be...nearly empty. I don't think it would've mattered what day of the week the game was. Some Pac 12 schools draw fairly well (nothing like 18,000 though, none of them even play in arenas that big) but unfortunately some of the schools have a fairly apathetic fan base.
It seems to me that the west coast and northeast don't care as much about college, or even high school, athletics compared to the south and midwest. The apathy maybe is because of the dearth of pro teams in those places, so all they have is watching kids play sports. Just something I've noticed.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It seems to me that the west coast and northeast don't care as much about college, or even high school, athletics compared to the south and midwest. The apathy maybe is because of the dearth of pro teams in those places, so all they have is watching kids play sports. Just something I've noticed.

I've seen this topic come up in various message boards. Women's volleyball is interesting in this regard. Nebraska has a HUGE following, Penn St. is strong, almost all of the Big 10 teams draw really well in that sport. The Pac 12, not so much.

Reaction Score
I'me with you DefenseBB. WCBB is such a great sport, and I've become addicted. Not only with my home team, but watching UCONN WCBB is a treat--the best basketball I have ever witnessed. I'm a superfan of WCBB, because it hasn't been ruined with kids leaving to the pros after their freshman year. Hopefully the Power 5 conferences will heed your advice and come up with a solution.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom