So who should the AAC add after the B12 poaching? | The Boneyard

So who should the AAC add after the B12 poaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's be realistic, the Big 12 will add Cincinnati and probably UCF because one of the cardinal rules of conference realignment is it has to hurt UConn as much as possible.

So if we make that assumption, who should the AAC try to bring in?

Reaction Score
amory said:
Let's be realistic, the Big 12 will add Cincinnati and probably UCF because one of the cardinal rules of conference realignment is it has to hurt UConn as much as possible. So if we make that assumption, who should the AAC try to bring in?

Probably looking at Marshall and Southern Mississippi. Fun times!

Reaction Score
I'd be down for Marshall. I'd like to see UMass get an invite. I know they're no good, but at least it'd give us a regional rival and games at Gillette.

Reaction Score
Let's be realistic, the Big 12 will add Cincinnati and probably UCF because one of the cardinal rules of conference realignment is it has to hurt UConn as much as possible.

For UCONN's sake, I would say UMASS first. Assuming Army turns down an offer, the AAC should consider Villanova. Although in the short term Villanova would make less $$. The basketball of UMASS and Villanova would not be a drop off from Cincy and Memphis. Villanova's football has been a strong FCS program. They could intensify their Big 5 rivalry with Temple.

Marshall and Southern Miss do little for UCONN as either rivalries or for basketball. I would rather see the AAC make an offer to Northern Illinois. It would create another big City Market (Chicago) for the conference.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
NOBODY! NOBODY is the best choice by a country-mile. We don't need a championship game, we don't get paid for a championship game and nobody cares about the championship game.

Reaction Score
For UCONN's sake, I would say UMASS first. Assuming Army turns down an offer, the AAC should consider Villanova. Although in the short term Villanova would make less $$. The basketball of UMASS and Villanova would not be a drop off from Cincy and Memphis. Villanova's football has been a strong FCS program. They could intensify their Big 5 rivalry with Temple.

Marshall and Southern Miss do little for UCONN as either rivalries or for basketball. I would rather see the AAC make an offer to Northern Illinois. It would create another big City Market (Chicago) for the conference.
If Villanova wasn't willing to jump to FBS to be in the Big East, I have a hard time believing they'd be willing to for a spot in the AAC.

Reaction Score
NOBODY! NOBODY is the best choice by a country-mile. We don't need a championship game, we don't get paid for a championship game and nobody cares about the championship game.
So just wait for Navy and keep it at 10 teams? Man if you take out Cincy and either UCF or Memphis and add Navy you really have a bad, bad group of programs. Seems like we'd at least have to try to get someone else in.

Reaction Score
If Villanova wasn't willing to jump to FBS to be in the Big East, I have a hard time believing they'd be willing to for a spot in the AAC.

Villanova got trumped by Temple. They kinda got snubbed by the AAC. They average around 10K a game but hopefully they could double. They have a small stadium that would have to be expanded. Nova won the National Championship in 2009 and is in the quarter finals this year. I like taking in Nova way more than a Marshall or a Southern Miss.

This could be the opportunity for them. Although with the wide disparity in Power 5 vs group of 5, it may not make sense for Nova unless Aresco can rework the TV deal.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-12-24/sports/35983977_1_villanova-big-east-vince-nicastro

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Marshall and Southern Mississippi basketball. As a conference game. Good God.

Reaction Score
Not that I remotely give a crap but there's no reason to have an AAC championship game. Please, it's bad enough who is already in this conference.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
So just wait for Navy and keep it at 10 teams? Man if you take out Cincy and either UCF or Memphis and add Navy you really have a bad, bad group of programs. Seems like we'd at least have to try to get someone else in.

I agree, it will be a bad bad group. But adding So. Miss, Army, UMass or whatever other half-a$$ed athletic departments are willing to join the AAC remnants would make it a worse, worse group.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Realistically if 2 teams were to leave and I'd put that at a 2% chance. Navy would just say Indy and you just stay at 9 and play round robins in football and basketball.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what the conference's exit conditions are for whoever would be leaving?

At least it might mean a few more million dollars coming our way...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what the conference's exit conditions are for whoever would be leaving?

At least it might mean a few more million dollars coming our way...

I think it costs $10,000,000 to get out of this thing.

Remarkably, it costs $2.5M to get in.

Reaction Score
I know everyone wants out of the AAC, but while we are here, I say add a champ game. No, it won't bump the SEC champ for ratings, but it is no worse than C-USA, MWC, and in most years ACC games. Add So. Miss., ODU, a FL commuter to replace the commuter school stolen (FAU or FIU) and UMass. Besides, if adding 2 schools helps B12 cause for playoff (which I dont believe), then you likely need to add a champ game for the P6 slot consideration.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
amory said:

A street sweeper and a mortician because I may fling myself off of a bridge.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 poaches two teams and one of them is not UCONN, I think we have to seriously consider dropping football and ask to join the NBE. There's no point of playing football against Marshall and Southern Miss.

Reaction Score
Villanova has never had an interest in the AAC and will never have an interest in the AAC.

If the money were right they might, however the 500 Million Big East/41 Million per year vs. the 126 Million/18 Million/per year AAC contract makes Nova joining almost impossible due to crap TV deal.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Stony Brook and UMass - UConn FB lost a ton of money this year - keep travel costs to a minimum.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We are not dropping football and we are not rejoining the Big East.

Any intelligent discussion needs to accept these two facts as they have been previously adjudicated in this forum to it's predictable conclusion.

Reaction Score
Not that I remotely give a crap but there's no reason to have an AAC championship game. Please, it's bad enough who is already in this conference.

Guys, this is only year two. Let's see how the AAC fares in the 5 bowl games before anyone jumps off any bridges. How the conference fares will make a difference. It could hurt or help stature:

Memphis - BYU
Cincy- VA Tech
UCF - NC State
ECU - Florida
Houston - PITT
Navy-SDSU

This conference has to play out for a couple of years... Needs a little more time in the oven.

Reaction Score
We are not dropping football and we are not rejoining the Big East.

Any intelligent discussion needs to accept these two facts as they have been previously adjudicated in this forum to it's predictable conclusion.

Thank you!

Reaction Score
I heard NJIT has a good basketball team I am sure they can piece together a football team better then ours too..........why not them an Umass?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Agree with Whaler that there's not a shot that Navy joins if two schools leave the AAC. I'd also say there's an outside chance the AAC dissolves as SMU and Houston would be on the phone with the MWC and the rest of us might merge with C-USA. I'd put the odds at that at about 4% but knowing our luck, it'll happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom