So Who IS The 2nd Best Center in WCBB This Year? | The Boneyard

So Who IS The 2nd Best Center in WCBB This Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Unless you live in Waco, 2011-12 has not been a great year for centers. Unless you stretch your definition of the position to call Nneka Ogwumike a center (she isn't), there is really no clear choice for "2nd best center in the country".

Devereaux Peters? She blocks a lot of shots and is a focal point of ND's offense, but her scoring and rebounding is nothing to write home about. Her team's offense relies almost exclusively on its backcourt, and increasingly on Ms. McBride.

Elizabeth Williams? She has the potential to be another Tina Charles, but this year she was more like Tina as a freshman -- hardly surprising since Elizabeth is a freshman. Not consistent enough to warrant the title.

Vicky Baugh? As a 5th-year senior, her minutes were limited (presumably by lingering injuries), but she dominated very few games and had limited minutes in many games -- even missing a few. She was the 3rd/4th/5th scoring option for Tennessee this year.

Alyssa Thomas? I actually have never seen Maryland play, even in TV, but I think she operates more like a forward than a center, and the weakness of Maryland's schedule makes it difficult to evaluate her statistical accomplishments.

Who else? I looked at the names on the 1st / 2nd /3rd team All-America list, and no candidates jumped out at me other than those named above.

But there is this one girl whose team made the Final Four who has had an up-and-down season, including being effectively benched in at least three games. But she has picked it up when it counted, making the all-region team in her bracket, and she is probably as deserving as any of the above. That girl might be the 2nd best center in the country this year? So silly.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A thomas is not a center in any stretch of the imagination.

Godlet from GaTech had a pretty good season, though she had a bad day against Griner in the Sweet 16.

Brevard for FSU isnt bad.... good offensive player. Shegog for UNC had her moments....

Is Bussie for WVU a Center or a PF ?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas plays the 3. DeVaughn is the 5. Hawkins is the 4.

I would not consider either O sister to be a true 5.

Though Bone and Griner were rated close to the same in HS, there is a huge gap. Kelsey did Ok, but she is not in this conversation.

In terms of AA recognition, probably Williams.

Stef was inconsistent for parts of this season. In her good games, she might have been #3.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Does Glory Johnson not qualify? She really plays the 5 much of the game, as does Nneka. Nneka is more capable of playing center more than any of the players listed so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom