So, when does the domination criticism start? | The Boneyard

So, when does the domination criticism start?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong; what we are witnessing is historic and life-affirming. Dare we even call it Good for the Game?

We've seen Stanford disappoint us in November 2014. There was no ensuing return to parity. All UConn did was win, win, win, no matter what. It's been a bounty, one with an obscene 98 games won in a row. Will we see the likes of it again?

Our great coach Jim Calhoun said winning 100 games of anything in a row was impressive, be it tiddlywinks or checkers.

Well, we're approaching 100 in a row, in fact.acanOur beloved Huskies replicate it?

I'm just rambling here, but I'm curious. Do we have 100 consecutive in us? Do we want to see it? Will the sport be crapped on? Does geno's greatness become fully vaiidated? If we see Stanford again, or even South Carolina, do we root for those behemoths?

I'll be honest: this has been amazing. This is unlike anything we've ever witnessed. Does that, by definition, make it good for the sport?

I don't know what's good for the sport. I do know dominace is beautiful and amazing to watch.

I do know I should stop rambling.

But I definitely know I'm supposed to be enjoying this.

Good for the sport? Good for the psyche. Enjoy your spiritual dupplement like Brussels sprouts. You won't see it again. Is that by definition good for the game?

So many questions, and so few answers. Do we have either? How clan we even answer what's good for the game?

Is 100 in a row worth celebrating? Is it better than South Carolina?

I'm rotting away from cancer here. Is this streak the cure?

Is this the panacea for wcbb we were hoping to see?

Is this an illusion or tangible/measurable?

is anyone secretly a Gamecocks fan?

Is this even real?

Inquiring minds want to know!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
just-cough-back.jpg

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There's a better use for the mythical pill. Seriously, ??? What is it? Inquiring minds wanna know!!!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's not getting any attention. Go around the internet, watch sports networks - no one cares. It'll be a story when the streak ends, but until then each game is just another win.

This is certainly true. The streak was only important because it was breaking a men's record. (Not an unusual narrative - look at the #morethanmean scenario - only got attention when real live men (bless'em) were upset).

As for the current streak? No one cares...nor will they, until it's broken - and that will only be after the fact.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The sports world know's about UConn but most outlets are tired about saying the same thing. How many times can you smile sheepishly
and roll your eyes and say of course another blowout. Of course, it is a shame since as all real UConn fans know, it is not the winning but the way we win and the style of play that makes us love them.

Still, I think there will be alot of juice for the SC game especially if they are playing at the top of their game coming in. The number 100 is so psychologically exciting and the chance of slaying the giant is so ingrained in everyone that this game should really move the needle.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think I'll bring back my old signature line. "It is not enough to win, others must lose." Schadenfreude has its place. Jamelle talked about she was sick of everyone saying this is the year to get them; good on her. So, I don't care if it is good for "the Game". Its good for UConn's game and that is enough for me.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
`That internal joy for those of us who love our game does not shine as bright
when the tournament winner is a foregone conclusion.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I hardly ever see the "bad for the game" discussion anywhere other than on the Boneyard. I am not sure where all this "bad for the game" criticism is located but I would be interested in knowing who is making these statements.

Reaction Score

Wait..."the tournament winner is a foregone conclusion"? So no other team has gotten better since November? No other team could possibly beat UConn? Shall we cancel the tournament then??

Let's ask the Baylor, ND, Texas, FSU, Maryland, SC players if they would like to skip the tournament even if they have to face UConn. What would their reply be? Despite any losses those teams have had, they all believe they can beat UConn, and I dont think they are delusional. I like UConn's chances against all of them, but I also believe any one of them (plus maybe a few other teams) could defeat the Huskies. This year's tournament should be a lot of fun for those who love the game.

Reaction Score
Given Uconn's relative youth,i would not be totally surprised to see them lose in the elite eight game.The opponent could be the likes of Maryland,N.D.,Florida St.etc.I will be moderately surprised if they win it all at the final four.Exceeding expectations is what has made the season kinda special this year.Most of us expected 2-3 losses by January first.Hopefully this team can keep on surprising everyone all the way to number twelve.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Wait until this weekend. UConn takes on the ponies of SMU. Win #99.

The starts the countdown to #100. And its against SC. ESPN is ready to rev this one up big time. Will it be the upset of the season - Coates and Wilson, the vaunted front line, versus the balanced scoring of UConn. Or will it be the height of SC versus the lack of height of UConn. And who has thebetter guard play.

#100 is the big number. No way this goes unnoticed. If UConn wins, and I believe they will, then watch out for UConn is bad for WCBB!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If UConn wins, and I believe they will, then watch out for UConn is bad for WCBB!

When you see this written somewhere or see it stated on TV please let me know. I hear about this all the time on the Boneyard and I never see it in the media.

Reaction Score
I hardly ever see the "bad for the game" discussion anywhere other than on the Boneyard. I am not sure where all this "bad for the game" criticism is located but I would be interested in knowing who is making these statements.
Check ESPN comments on every UConn article.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I sort of get that EXCEPT WHEN IT COMES FROM A DUKE FAN- ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

No, really you cannot complain at all, like EVER. Worry about your own house and image that the spoiled brat Grayson Allen continues to be a pox on what people want to pigeon hole your program as.

As a whole for this commentary, I am not sure what we want any news or internet dialogue to be. How many times can you write the same story? What more superlatives can be written? I am dead serious on this. No one, not even the Orange woman fans bemoan Geno any more. They openly ask. What if he coached their team.

WCBB and WNBA are small potatoes compared to any men's sports and lag woefully behind Tennis and Woman's Golf in sponsorship and revenue. Everyone here knows exactly the issues the NCAA has with selling the Tournament and how to increase viewership and attendance. This streak helps that immensely.

He is good for the game, we as die hard fans are good for the game. We need to keep the faith and keep spreading the word. SNY viewership is up for the Women so there is hope on the horizon!

Reaction Score
There's a better use for the mythical pill. Seriously, ??? What is it? Inquiring minds wanna know!!!

Which reminds me of a joke: A man goes to his doctor because he can't move his bowels and is in serious pain. The doctor gives him some suppositories, tells him he'll feel better in no time. Shortly, the man returns and complains that he's still in pain. Doctor asks if he used the pills. Man says yes, but they didn't work; "I might as well have shoved them up my . . ."

Reaction Score
I think I'll bring back my old signature line. "It is not enough to win, others must lose." Schadenfreude has its place. Jamelle talked about she was sick of everyone saying this is the year to get them; good on her. So, I don't care if it is good for "the Game". Its good for UConn's game and that is enough for me.
I AM NOT HAPPY WITH ALL THESE WINS THIS YEAR---!!!
Uconn has only been winning by 30 or 40 or rarely at 50---very few 100 point games--this is going to ruin the game--who wants to watch ONLY 10 point blowouts??? You have to sit nervously for 30 minutes to see if Geno is ever going to put in the subs. Bad for the Game!! No doubt---
Every pundit and every tv commentator--knows that women's game is played too slow--they need loads of scoring---with only 2 or 3 100 point games--that just ain't enough. Bad for the game--ask any TV pundit!! Scoring--scoring scoring--stop the dam defense.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I AM NOT HAPPY WITH ALL THESE WINS THIS YEAR---!!!
Uconn has only been winning by 30 or 40 or rarely at 50---very few 100 point games--this is going to ruin the game--who wants to watch ONLY 10 point blowouts??? You have to sit nervously for 30 minutes to see if Geno is ever going to put in the subs. Bad for the Game!! No doubt---
Every pundit and every tv commentator--knows that women's game is played too slow--they need loads of scoring---with only 2 or 3 100 point games--that just ain't enough. Bad for the game--ask any TV pundit!! Scoring--scoring scoring--stop the dam defense.

LOL ... you making your own tequila these days?:D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'll start at the very bottom of the list: Bocce Ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom