So what do we think about Jennifer O'Neill? | The Boneyard

So what do we think about Jennifer O'Neill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In past season's: Overweight, underachieving, broke her foot last year and didn't play, this former Big Mac AA looks like a winner. Love her Bronx streetball style. Does she not remind one of a small Diana (or is that heresy).
Note that she assists as well as shoots

43 points on 14 for 31, 2 off Reb, 6 assists (rest of the team had 10) , 1 T/O

I understand that one could also compare her to Simmons but
I think she's a different sort of player.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Loved her in Summer of '42 ( Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Summer+of+42.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think you throw this aberrant game of no defense and pretty much no coordinated offense... really bad street ball --- out the window for the whole lot of them.

Course both programs want to make this game the greatest thing since sliced bread. See:

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/12/06/2973949/comment-on-the-womens-uk-baylor.html

It has three video vignettes tagged too, including post game pressers.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think you throw this aberrant game of no defense and pretty much no coordinated offense... really bad street ball --- out the window for the whole lot of them.

Course both programs want to make this game the greatest thing since sliced bread. See:

I almost forgot that there are actually games in which the two teams are more or less evenly matched and both compete…and the game is close. :)

Get your point, but i'm sure the staff will make note of this kid's offensive potential when we play them.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Both teams should use it. It is rare that two top 10 teams go to 4 OTs, not to mention that it was at AT&T stadium. They would be marketing idiots not to get all the publicity they can out of that. How many other games in WCBB this year have really been worth talking about after it was all said and done? Maybe none as WCBB is dominated by blowout after blowout.

I'm glad that both teams put on a game that has people discussing WCBB.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She played a whale of a game. Will be interesting to see how she follows it up. I really enjoyed watching her play, despite the outcome of the game.

Reaction Score
The game certainly should have received top billing in the Kentucky press. Instead, the men, who lost, got the favored real estate in the local papers. Despite the defensive shortcomings of both teams, they did set records and it was a great game for both team's fans to see. Jennifer put on a spectacular show as did Sims. They both deserve credit for their performances.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
damn the Bronx... what about Syracuse, Port Jervis, Ossining and North Babylon!

the Bronx hasnt be popping since KRS-One

Reaction Score
In past season's: Overweight, underachieving, broke her foot last year and didn't play, this former Big Mac AA looks like a winner. Love her Bronx streetball style. Does she not remind one of a small Diana (or is that heresy).

Should probably add a bit of perspective here. O'Neill's previous games against modest to mediocre teams were 11, 11, 5, 11, 11,14,14, and 12. Decent enough numbers, but the outlier here is the 43. I didn't see the entire Kentucky-Baylor game, only parts of the 2nd half and most of the 4 OTs, but I have to say that it may have been entertaining to see two teams put up that many points, but I haven't seen too many games between top ten teams where I can remember so much Ole defense being played by both sides. Virtually the entire offense for both seemed to be, let your guard dribble around a bit, then drive to the basket...pretty much unimpeded. I'll be interested to see whether these two can do that against teams that play defense...frankly, I don't think so. And I think that O'Neill's numbers up to this game support that.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
damn the Bronx... what about Syracuse, Port Jervis, Ossining and North Babylon!

the Bronx hasnt be popping since KRS-One

Is Kemba Walker so quickly forgotten?

Reaction Score
She is a good player with limited skills.......Baylor made her look a lot better than she is.........Poor Baylor defense, lack of scoring offense at KY makes her game look better. Don't get me wrong, she loves to shot the ball and will take any open shot she gets.........Lets see what she does against U of Tenn next month.......

Reaction Score
The game certainly should have received top billing in the Kentucky press. Instead, the men, who lost, got the favored real estate in the local papers. Despite the defensive shortcomings of both teams, they did set records and it was a great game for both team's fans to see. Jennifer put on a spectacular show as did Sims. They both deserve credit for their performances.
"...real estate in the local papers..." Yeah, another clue why playing at UConn is not like playing somewhere else!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So - she took 33% of KY's shots and scored 32% of their points so she was 'average' for a team shooting 42% from the floor. She is certainly exciting to watch and instrumental to KY winning but ... I don't much like her undisciplined offense but that seems to be the norm for Kentucky at least in this game. (What really bothered me with all the KY guards is that while KY was running double foul line screen sets, the guards using them always left plenty of room between them and the screener to allow the defender to get past the screen or get an offensive foul on the screener who moved to close the gap - just sloppy.) I do think the Simmons comparison is valid.
Big surprise to me is that Harper is getting so little run - I thought she was really good coming out of HS but she looks a little lost in the chaos of KY basketball - she is near the end of the bench getting 11 minutes total in a 60 minute game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Big surprise to me is that Harper is getting so little run - I thought she was really good coming out of HS but she looks a little lost in the chaos of KY basketball - she is near the end of the bench getting 11 minutes total in a 60 minute game.

I'm not all that surprised about Harper. She's 5-6 (tho listed at 5-8) with no jump shot. She scored in HS mostly off of penetration and her uncanny ability to get offensive rebounds and put-backs. Both of those are more difficult in the college game. She's playing behind similarly-sized players who are more used to the speed of the college game and who stand a better chance of scoring, particularly in the half-court offense. Epps is bigger (and slower) and getting more PT because she is a threat from the outside. Harper will need to develop that part of her game.

Reaction Score
Well Texas just imploded with bad passes and turnovers!

Reaction Score

she can play. very aggressive , sure of herself, and very smart when i saw her. she did play last year, 3rd in scoring and 1st in assists. she struggled against uconn ( who didn't) in the quarterfinals last year, but to me she didn't appear intimidated. i agree , very different than simmons, which is really a good thing. i think she will be a very good pro.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
O'Neill lost most of her weight prior to last season.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Both teams should use it. It is rare that two top 10 teams go to 4 OTs, not to mention that it was at AT&T stadium. They would be marketing idiots not to get all the publicity they can out of that. How many other games in WCBB this year have really been worth talking about after it was all said and done? Maybe none as WCBB is dominated by blowout after blowout.

I'm glad that both teams put on a game that has people discussing WCBB.

yeah....discussing how hard it was to watch the game. Seriously, run and gun is just not interesting to me, especially since the shots that are being thrown up are duds. Yes, they did score big numbers EVENTUALLY, but as I mentioned before, it was very, very hard to watch such disorganized play

Reaction Score
I was impressed by her. She's fearless, and not afraid to take the big shot, something that seems to be lacking in the rest of the UK team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom