So what do we know about Hurley? | The Boneyard

So what do we know about Hurley?

Reaction Score
What offense does he run?

What defense does he run?

What tempo does he like?

Did the R.I. media like him? Was he comfortable around the media or paranoid?

Disciplinarian or treat the team like men?

Favorite color?

Reaction Score
You'll hear this a lot, but a lot of similarities to Calhoun-coached teams. Emphasis on defense (43rd rated defense nationally this year, 30th last year) but also a similar offense to Calhoun as well (unfortunately not as well organized as we'd like, but better than Ollie so hopefully the frustration will be at a minimum). His team thrives in transition and really utilizes athleticism, all things we saw under JC. Very guard-oriented as well, so I expect Jalen and CV to be just fine.

Should be able to develop guys too, one of his seniors Jared Terrell (6-3 guard) was a 32% 3P shooter his freshman year (9.2 ppg) and finished this year as a 41% 3P shooter averaging 16.8 ppg. Another guard EC Mathews actually averaged 18+ ppg as a sophomore but injuries really have derailed the rest of his career where he really became a 2nd or 3rd option sadly. '

In terms of big men, sophomore Cyril Langevine averaged 6 & 6 (with 1.2 blocks) this year after 3 and 4.5 last year as a freshman. Definitely a small improvement, but better than we've seen with most KO big men. They had a 6-7 forward Hassan Martin graduate last year, he went from 6.3 & 5.7 to 13.6 & 6.8 in 4 years (including 7.7 REB as a soph). Players actually have growth under him! He was even able to get something out of former Memphis recruit (and CT native) Kuran Iverson, who averaged a pretty nice 9-10 ppg, 7+ reb, 1.5+ ast, 1.3 blk per game his two years at URI. Hurley can do a lot with athletic bigs (think Diarra and Sid Wilson, both who he recruited).

Definitely very comfortable with the media, his whole life he was around local media with his dad. He's a basketball lifer and being a coach's son only helps. Beloved in Rhode Island the last 6 years.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
meme2.jpg

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
What offense does he run? YES

What defense does he run? YES

What tempo does he like? UP

Did the R.I. media like him? Was he comfortable around the media or paranoid? WELL LIKED

Disciplinarian or treat the team like men? YES

Favorite color? NATIONAL FLAG BLUE

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Primarily motion, but he's been adaptable. When he has bigs, he runs a big-centric offense. When he's loaded with guards, he spreads the court more and runs a guard-centric offense.

Extended man-to-man with an emphasis on limiting 3-pointers. They sell out to protect against that shot which, at times, left them vulnerable on the defensive glass this year. Between preventing 3s and no real big, they weren't a great rebounding team.

What tempo does he like?
Up.

They loved him, as did/does the national media. He's combative, like any coach, but he's not a grumpy dude who sees every interaction as a fight (like our beloved JC). He also knows and admits he's crazy, which makes him a great quote and thus beloved by the press.

Both. He's a hardass, they love him, and they don't transfer.

Favorite color?
PANTONE:289

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Primarily motion, but he's been adaptable. When he has bigs, he runs a big-centric offense. When he's loaded with guards, he spreads the court more and runs a guard-centric offense.

Extended man-to-man with an emphasis on limiting 3-pointers. They sell out to protect against that shot which, at times, left them vulnerable on the defensive glass this year. Between preventing 3s and no real big, they weren't a great rebounding team.

What tempo does he like?
Up.

They loved him, as did/does the national media. He's combative, like any coach, but he's not a grumpy dude who sees every interaction as a fight (like our beloved JC). He also knows and admits he's crazy, which makes him a great quote and thus beloved by the press.

Favorite color?

This aligns with my understanding. He builds teams from the pieces he has. Doesn't seem to spend time imagining a team in a vacuum and then jamming square pegs in round holes (which is what I thought Ollie did repeatedly). Give him bigs who can score and he feeds them. Give him a bunch of shooters and they shoot.

What I think he'll be able to do at UConn is bring in enough talent at multiple spots on the floor, that he can truly create teams that are tenacious on defense and "multiple" on offense and thus hard to guard. Pretty much the Calhoun recipe for success.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

What tempo does he like?

Favorite color?
They only thing I'm positive about Hurley was that I liked him better than his brother. It used to be due solely to their alma maters. There is now a 2nd reason.

I think this hire says a great deal about UConn.

UConn:
1) hit their primary target,
1a) who had three legitimate options,
1b) One being a program participating in a power basketball conference.

UConn still has clout.

Reaction Score

What tempo does he like?
Up.

Favorite color?

Thanks. There are certainly worse things than having a foul mouthed, tough, Irish, SOB on the UConn sideline.

Reaction Score
How the hell can you be stuck on a desert island and not lose ONE POUND!

And dont give me the "oh they found Dharma food" BS.
Well, he did lose some weight. I believe he explicitly said that he lost some pounds to Jack in season 1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom