So, what did we watch last night? | The Boneyard

So, what did we watch last night?

Reaction Score
Last night, we watched something that doesn’t happen very often in sports. It was both the beginning and the culmination of two significant events. It was the beginning for an injury free team to finally play together. (I exclude Aubrey because she is out for the season. Can’t wait for her return next season. One of my favorite players). It was the culmination for a team struggling with injuries, playing with different lineups trying to keep things together. Sloppy at times, players trying to do much, but the effort was always there.

In this case, the injuries allowed certain players to excel before they would have if we had been at full strength. Last night, everyone was ready to contribute. Last night, we saw a team that legitimately has 9 starters. A rare happening.

We watched a team play excellent in all aspects of the game. But the single underlying reason for the show they put on was PACE. They played at a pace that we haven’t seen in a long time. The reason, other than the adrenaline produced by the excitement of Paige returning, was the subbing in and important minutes that all 9 “starters” played. Everyone got to rest. Everyone was able to play at a pace they wouldn’t be able to sustain if they knew that they would be on the floor for almost the entire game. Pace was the key. Subbing allowed it to happen.

I know that Paige’s minutes will continue to grow and she will be on the floor for 30 plus minutes as we get into the teeth of the Big Dance. But, I hope that Geno doesn’t go back to the 6 or 7 player concept. What we watched last night was the result of 9 starters all contributing to the success of this team playing at a pace that no other team can match. Use them all. It’s the key to the next NC.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Last night, we watched something that doesn’t happen very often in sports. It was both the beginning and the culmination of two significant events. It was the beginning for an injury free team to finally play together. (I exclude Aubrey because she is out for the season. Can’t wait for her return next season. One of my favorite players). It was the culmination for a team struggling with injuries, playing with different lineups trying to keep things together. Sloppy at times, players trying to do much, but the effort was always there.

In this case, the injuries allowed certain players to excel before they would have if we had been at full strength. Last night, everyone was ready to contribute. Last night, we saw a team that legitimately has 9 starters. A rare happening.

We watched a team play excellent in all aspects of the game. But the single underlying reason for the show they put on was PACE. They played at a pace that we haven’t seen in a long time. The reason, other than the adrenaline produced by the excitement of Paige returning, was the subbing in and important minutes that all 9 “starters” played. Everyone got to rest. Everyone was able to play at a pace they wouldn’t be able to sustain if they knew that they would be on the floor for almost the entire game. Pace was the key. Subbing allowed it to happen.

I know that Paige’s minutes will continue to grow and she will be on the floor for 30 plus minutes as we get into the teeth of the Big Dance. But, I hope that Geno doesn’t go back to the 6 or 7 player concept. What we watched last night was the result of 9 starters all contributing to the success of this team playing at a pace that no other team can match. Use them all. It’s the key to the next NC.
I don't remember a Uconn team at least 9 strong with a infinite number of combinations to play with, I maybe/have been wrong b4, so someone plz correct me if I am.....in their opinions.

Reaction Score
On my side, I watched a team that is kind of what the debate was over the summer, a team with solid depth with multiple scoring options, and a team that reminded me of the Golden State Warriors team that went 73-9 back in 2015-16. Shooters. Players that understood their roles on the team & want what is best for the team. Depth. Defense. Passing. Just that whole mindset of Strength in Numbers & WIN (What's Important Now). Watching the game last night, was all of that plus what Azzi said, and I agree with her, a few days ago; This team is going to be NASTY.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The 9 have all established themselves and they will play. I hope Geno stays with the 4 sub package. Ideally, everyone gets about 23-25 minutes. Each has a role and each can be red hot. The only real question is; who is on the court, at the end, in a very tight contest? Paige and AZZi for sure. Likely Williams. And Olivia. But who is next? Westbrook? Caroline? Nika? Dorka? Edwards? That's the tough one. Match ups likely the answer. We shall see.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
One of my all-time favorite posters on the Boneyard used the handle Scotter. I thought he was the absolute best at analyzing UConn players, understanding how UConn played and how Geno coached. Unfortunately he doesn't post here anymore.

Anyhow, several years ago he gave the best explanation of Geno's approach to player rotation and using his bench. I was able to find the post from 2012 shortly after UConn's loss to ND in the 2012 Final Four: Geno's use of Subs. Post #23 in the thread.

Scotter correctly observed that Geno's player rotation goes as deep as his roster demands. In some years that has meant only 6 or 7 players. I believe as this year's team moves forward in the BET and the NCAAT we will see Geno play the 9 players we saw play last night. Each of those players will demand playing time by how she has performed this year, often through a lot of adversity. Of course the minutes will vary, depending on match-ups, foul trouble, who is playing well and who isn't, etc. The good news is that Geno will have options on the bench he can trust.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
One of my all-time favorite posters on the Boneyard used the handle Scotter. I thought he was the absolute best at analyzing UConn players, understanding how UConn played and how Geno coached. Unfortunately he doesn't post here anymore.

Anyhow, several years ago he gave the best explanation of Geno's approach to player rotation and using his bench. I was able to find the post from 2012 shortly after UConn's loss to ND in the 2012 Final Four: Geno's use of Subs. Post #23 in the thread.

Scotter correctly observed that Geno's player rotation goes as deep as his roster demands. In some years that has meant only 6 or 7 players. I believe as this year's team moves forward in the BET and the NCAAT we will see Geno play the 9 players we saw play last night. Each of those players will demand playing time by how she has performed this year, often through a lot of adversity. Of course the minutes will vary, depending on match-ups, foul trouble, who is playing well and who isn't, etc. The good news is that Geno will have options on the bench he can trust.
I read Scotter's post and I agree with your assessment of his post, which I gave it a like by the way. I wonder if he had been into coaching, because his post sounded like someone that had or was coaching.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I read Scotter's post and I agree with your assessment of his post, which I gave it a like by the way. I wonder if he had been into coaching, because his post sounded like someone that had or was coaching.
He was not a coach. I actually met Scotter once when I was living in Chicago. We sat together when UConn played at Depaul. I think the year was 2010. He was a young guy who lived in either Michigan or Wisconsin and was a big fan of the Chicago Bulls. He knew a lot about the triangle offense. I don't recall how or when he became a fan of the UConn women but he was and his posts were so insightful.

One of his favorite UConn players was Kelly Faris.

Reaction Score
I don't remember a Uconn team at least 9 strong with a infinite number of combinations to play with, I maybe/have been wrong b4, so someone plz correct me if I am.....in their opinions.
March 2000 & March 2001 before Shea's injury...

Reaction Score
The 9 have all established themselves and they will play. I hope Geno stays with the 4 sub package. Ideally, everyone gets about 23-25 minutes. Each has a role and each can be red hot. The only real question is; who is on the court, at the end, in a very tight contest? Paige and AZZi for sure. Likely Williams. And Olivia. But who is next? Westbrook? Caroline? Nika? Dorka? Edwards? That's the tough one. Match ups likely the answer. We shall see.
The first 39 minutes will provide the answer: whomever is playing defense most intensely OR whomever can drive hard to the basket, score with contact, and make their free throws, etc. as Geno will have his eyes open for that fifth "Nasty" player...

Reaction Score
The biggest thing to me is that Paige was just another player in the rotation and not even the star. They played the same with or without her on the court. Before her injury Geno said that was not true.

Every player should be really proud of themselves as individuals and as a team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom