So what’s next? | The Boneyard

So what’s next?

Reaction Score
At this point I don’t think assuming B12 happening will jinx anything. The way this has all rolled out is similar to past moves. So that being the case, what follows?

Big 12 will not stop at 17. And its looking like if ACC falls apart it’ll be in 2027.

I’m thinking USF may be up next.
If 20 is the endgame then Syracuse and Pitt in 27. That would give us, WV, and UCF rivals.

If it’s 24, who knows Could see NC St and Virginia Tech (they are rivals). 2 more? Who?

We hear B1G has sights on UNC and UVA. Not so sure about UVA. Maybe Duke? Or Florida State.

I think the only ones SEC would be interested would be UNC and maybe Florida State.

This is going to be a wild ride, I’m sure glad it looks like we may be on the inside looking out.

Reaction Score
My expectations are that the B12 Presidents/AD’s are going to decide to wait, and not add anyone at the moment. I think it will play out similar to the PAC breakup. B12 will wait and see it they can get better football brands from the ACC. Like the ACC’s thinking, B12 will say “UConn will alway be there. We can add them whenever so there is no hurry”.

Reaction Score
If there's anything that shouldn't be assumed, it's UConn to a power conference... Especially the Big 12, where we don't fit geographically or culturally. Let's see where things land next week and keep our fingers crossed.

"I think the word is 'premature,'" a high-ranking Big 12 official said. "There's a far distance between conversations and anything that would happen. The presidents haven't seen the case yet." - ESPN

Reaction Score
At this point I don’t think assuming B12 happening will jinx anything. The way this has all rolled out is similar to past moves. So that being the case, what follows?

Big 12 will not stop at 17. And its looking like if ACC falls apart it’ll be in 2027.

If 20 is the endgame then Syracuse and Pitt in 27. That would give us, WV, and UCF rivals.

If it’s 24, who knows Could see NC St and Virginia Tech (they are rivals). 2 more? Who?

We hear B1G has sights on UNC and UVA. Not so sure about UVA. Maybe Duke? Or Florida State.

I think the only ones SEC would be interested would be UNC and maybe Florida State.

This is going to be a wild ride, I’m sure glad it looks like we may be on the inside looking out.

ESPN won't renew with the ACC and that will trigger the collapse of that conference. Imagine if UConn joining the Big 12 is what finally does the ACC in? That would be pretty cool. Almost too good to be true.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The B12's only hope to stay relevant compared with the BIG and SEC is to have an overwhelming superiority in basketball. I believe that is Yormark's vision and if he's convinced the ADs and university presidents of this then I expect the conference will hive into a football Big12 conference and a basketball Big12 conference and each will be peddled separately to the media. I believe ESPN is on board and guiding him on what properties will be needed with this concept.

This is not a ridiculous concept. The BIG and SEC are getting more money because of their superiority with their football teams as well as their market viewership. And viewership has correlation with success. Clemson is a great example of this.

Currently all the P4 conferences are getting relatively the same amount for their basketball brands. Yormark is trying to change this and probably will succeed. So, for instance, if the BIG is getting 10 million dollars/team for a very good conference of bb teams, Yormark is arguing that the Big12 should be worth 15/18 million for each team if the bb conference is outstanding.

My thinking is Yormark will try to grab as many of the best bb brands not affiliated with the P4. They will not be required to play football. So the BE will be open game as well as Gonzaga.

The wild card will be the ACC. If the BIG and SEC see that this vision is working they'll try to take some of the ACC teams they would have ignored otherwise.

So first phase is UConn. Second is some or all of the BE plus Gonzaga with the statement it's to keep UConn from being on an island. Third phase is to grab the northeast universities in the ACC when it implodes (and maybe Duke) and after this phase split the conference for the best possible media deal for each sport.

Anywho, this is my hope even if it sounds fanciful.

Reaction Score
The B12's only hope to stay relevant compared with the BIG and SEC is to have an overwhelming superiority in basketball. I believe that is Yormark's vision and if he's convinced the ADs and university presidents of this then I expect the conference will hive into a football Big12 conference and a basketball Big12 conference and each will be peddled separately to the media. I believe ESPN is on board and guiding him on what properties will be needed with this concept.

This is not a ridiculous concept. The BIG and SEC are getting more money because of their superiority with their football teams as well as their market viewership. And viewership has correlation with success. Clemson is a great example of this.

Currently all the P4 conferences are getting relatively the same amount for their basketball brands. Yormark is trying to change this and probably will succeed. So, for instance, if the BIG is getting 10 million dollars/team for a very good conference of bb teams, Yormark is arguing that the Big12 should be worth 15/18 million for each team if the bb conference is outstanding.

My thinking is Yormark will try to grab as many of the best bb brands not affiliated with the P4. They will not be required to play football. So the BE will be open game as well as Gonzaga.

The wild card will be the ACC. If the BIG and SEC see that this vision is working they'll try to take some of the ACC teams they would have ignored otherwise.

So first phase is UConn. Second is some or all of the BE plus Gonzaga with the statement it's to keep UConn from being on an island. Third phase is to grab the northeast universities in the ACC when it implodes (and maybe Duke) and after this phase split the conference for the best possible media deal for each sport.

You’re making complete sense. And yes, this winter when Hurley has us in the Top 5 and Bueckers and Auriemma are running wbb the Big 12 can either look like geniuses or morons.

Reaction Score
What happens to us fans, this board, UConn athletics if we don't get accepted?

Football is deflated and we have another bad season?

Didn't temery once put a black shroud over the board? I forget what that was for.

Reaction Score

I think you are 100% correct. There are just too many available viewing eyeballs to think that college athletics value is limited to two conferences with no real content in the valued Northeast corridor

Reaction Score

90084-0926dbba29a8651cac16c4d30c3749c9.jpg

Reaction Score
What happens to us fans, this board, UConn athletics if we don't get accepted?

Football is deflated and we have another bad season?

Didn't temery once put a black shroud over the board? I forget what that was for.

Deja vu all over again.

Reaction Score
Why 2027 when the GOR expires in 2036? Either way, just wait for the ACC to implode then add the 7 best ACC schools that aren’t invited to BIG/SEC. A 24 team conference that maybe looks something like this:

Big12West:
1) Zona 2) ASU 3) BYU 4) Utah
5) Colorado 6) Kansas 7) K St 8) OK St
9) TT 10) TCU 11) Baylor 12) Houston

Big12East:
1) ISU 2) Lville* 3) Cincy 4) WVU
5) UConn 6) Cuse* 7) Pitt* 8) VT*
9) NC St* 10) Duke* 11) GT* 12) UCF

MW: Cal/Stanford/SMU
AAC: BC/Wake
BIG: Notre Dame/Virginia
SEC: UNC/Clemson/FSU/Miami

Reaction Score
Third phase is to grab the northeast universities in the ACC when it implodes (and maybe Duke) and after this phase split the conference for the best possible media deal for each sport.
Huh? So what happens to UConn and Kansas and Duke football? Does the big12 forbid them from playing anymore?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Huh? So what happens to UConn and Kansas and Duke football? Does the big12 forbid them from playing anymore?
No. They play football and basketball and are part of each sports value. The Big 12 would have a portfolio of university football teams and a portfolio of university basketball teams. Some universities would have teams in both portfolios while others might only be part of the basketball portfolio.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom