So there I was............ | The Boneyard

So there I was............

Reaction Score
Sitting in front of the tube as Gabbulous put on yet another display of marvelous, when it hit me. This young woman has had not one, but TWO ACL reconstructions and is currently saddled with a painful hip injury.

Try to imagine, if you can, what her athletic ability would have been like had she not suffered these injuries. She's already the most athletically gifted female in the game. What on Earth would it have looked like??? I'm sure many of her opponents feel like they're playing against a male when she gets it rolling, so perhaps her injuries have saved the NCAA from being forced to institute "Williams" rules.

Reaction Score
Yeah I think that is amazing. Clearly every person bounces back differently but she looks like she hasn't lost a step. When she has a "Gabby Game" we never lose..
I don't disagree, but the facts are, we almost never lose no matter what. The coolest thing about Gabby is that she plays her most dominating games when the stakes are the highest.

Reaction Score
Around here, we're getting used to referring to her as The Human Highlight Reel. Very few things are more fun than watching a replay of the second quarter of the SC game, and, especially, to just focus on Gabby's performance - the spectacular assists, the incredible box out play on A'ja with the subsequent leaping deflection of a defensive rebound to teammates, the breathtaking offensive rebound and putback (while the "announcers" were, predictably, chitchatting about something else) (one could substitute a letter there!) - the full inventory of things she does to help her team win games is almost inexhaustible. To do what she does, as successfully as she does, inevitably involves a lot of risk-taking. Her critics are always quick to point out the consequences of those risks when they blow up in her face. For me, my biggest concern about her is that she will try to rein it all in, to be less of a risk-taker in an effort to avoid screw-ups. Those instances are dwarfed by all of those things she does to contribute to wins, and to keep us fans transfixed. I'm already in mourning over the fact that we're in the final what?, nine weeks of seeing her in a UConn uniform.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For me, my biggest concern about her is that she will try to rein it all in, to be less of a risk-taker in an effort to avoid screw-ups.

Love your post @Bigpetunia , but not to worry: it is simply not in Gabby's DNA to do that.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sitting in front of the tube as Gabbulous put on yet another display of marvelous, when it hit me. This young woman has had not one, but TWO ACL reconstructions and is currently saddled with a painful hip injury.

Try to imagine, if you can, what her athletic ability would have been like had she not suffered these injuries. She's already the most athletically gifted female in the game. What on Earth would it have looked like??? I'm sure many of her opponents feel like they're playing against a male when she gets it rolling, so perhaps her injuries have saved the NCAA from being forced to institute "Williams" rules.
What's so impressive is that from the 6:47 mark of the first on she limped up and down the floor. She essentially played most of the game on 1 1/2 legs.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
She always seems to give us several of those "did you see that" moments every game that have me reaching for the remote to rewind and watch again (and again....).

I've started to call her "Juice" because she's so electric. :D

Besides the fact that she's terminally cute. (I know Nan, knock it off)

Reaction Score

Very good post and points.
I'd just like to add that yes to whatever degree her injuries might have lessened her physical attributes it might have worked the opposite on the mental aspects of the game and what she gained from the process of overcoming those obstacles.
Also sometimes slowing down a bit can help ones game. I think part of Gabbys shooting weakness comes from the amazing speed and energy she plays with all the time.
She is a unique talent and all that she is comes from all she's gone through both mentally and physically.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Yeah I think that is amazing. Clearly every person bounces back differently but she looks like she hasn't lost a step. When she has a "Gabby Game" we never lose..
except once miss state but I agree she is amazing!

Reaction Score
Very good post and points.
I'd just like to add that yes to whatever degree her injuries might have lessened her physical attributes it might have worked the opposite on the mental aspects of the game and what she gained from the process of overcoming those obstacles.
Also sometimes slowing down a bit can help ones game. I think part of Gabbys shooting weakness comes from the amazing speed and energy she plays with all the time.
She is a unique talent and all that she is comes from all she's gone through both mentally and physically.
Bronx23
I agree, especially the shooting part.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

In one way, Gabby's ACL injuries were a blessing in disguise, at least as far as Husky WBB fans are concerned. Had she not suffered those injuries, she may well have continued to pursue her other goal of winning a gold medal as an Olympic high jumper. Gabby initially planned to compete in both sports when she came to UConn, but soon after arriving, she decided to devote all her efforts to basketball. It is my sincere hope that some day Gabby achieves her Olympic gold medal dream, as a member of the U.S. Women's Olympic Basketball team.

Reaction Score
In one way, Gabby's ACL injuries were a blessing in disguise, at least as far as Husky WBB fans are concerned. Had she not suffered those injuries, she may well have continued to pursue her other goal of winning a gold medal as an Olympic high jumper. Gabby initially planned to compete in both sports when she came to UConn, but soon after arriving, she decided to devote all her efforts to basketball. It is my sincere hope that some day Gabby achieves her Olympic gold medal dream, as a member of the U.S. Women's Olympic Basketball team.
Fine point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom