So on when you listen to music | The Boneyard

So on when you listen to music

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Curious when all of you (who populate the wonderful music threads) actually listen to music. Because, I really don't hear much -

- I take 3 mile walks at an indoor track owned by the City up to 3 times a week. They have a Sirius station, usually classic rock, on. Sometimes hard to hear as the track circles the gym, but usually great music. I chose the facility I walk at because it has music, the one closer to my house does not.
- We sometimes listen to Sirius in the car, usually "The Bridge". Sometimes play a CD. Usually only on longer trips.
- We do a "real" concert up to twice a year. Since we moved out here, we have seen Neil Diamond (3 times), Barry Manilow, Elton John, Judy Collins (twice each), plus James Taylor, Art Garfunkle, Pat Benetar and Crystal Gayle.
- We do over half the Monday Night Concert Series at the local melodrama theater, The Gaslight Theater. It is every Monday except the weeks they change over their plays (5 a year) and during the Christmas Show which runs 7 days a week instead of the usual 6.

That's it for me - you all seem much more into music. How do you do it?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Most of the time when I'm goofing around on the computer I have Pandora going. Don't listen to cd's much these days. Some jerk stole the detachable face plate from my car stereo last year and I never got a new stereo, so no radio or cd's in the car. Number of concerts per year varies. Went to 3 near the beginning of the year. Long drought, but 3 more coming up in the next several months.

edited--I got edited for using an approximation of a curse word, not even an actual curse word. Wow. I'll try something else.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have my personal musical favorites; some 10,000 songs or so of dozens of genres, many quite obscure as many of you have been subjected to. These were taken from radio, shows and off the internet and I have never paid for a song. If your computer can play you can record it as .mp3 files into albums you can create on your hard drive. My favorite is Goldwave; records it and you can manipulate each one for volume, noise removal, bandpass filters and dozens of other parameters. Save on a USB drive and play them anywhere any time!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Have the radio on in the car, EVERY time I'm in it. Usually local Classic Rock station or Sirius XM (70's, 80's, Classic Rewind, Classic Vinyl, The Spectrum, Jam On, The Bridge, Alt Nation, Octane). At work I listen to my collection most of the day. At home, almost anytime I'm doing something (besides TV) I have playlists from my phone on (cooking, cleaning, mowing lawn, doing laundry, etc.). At BBQ's or just sitting around the firepit will have music on. Many nights I'll go down YouTube wormholes listening to music, trying out new artists. About 10% of my responses when talking to people are lyric based. Wife and I go to concerts 5-10 times a year (depending on who comes around) - only smaller venues though, don't do any of the big acts in stadiums or anything like that. Try to get to the concert series in town on Wednesday nights in the summer. We try to eat at restaurants that have live music when possible.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Never the radio. Soft CD's with my morning paper. Days of brisk walks consume about 9 songs on my earbuds. Upbeat
CD's in my car Sometimes listen to computer library evenings. Largely stuck in the 70's.

Reaction Score
Primarily on trips - for instance I'm driving to Oregon next month (from Indiana) so it will be a lot of road time. I have my iPhone with my favorites along with Sirius radio.

On Sirius it's Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl, Beatles channel, and Outlaw Country along with one of the Comedy channels "Canada Laughs" when I need some cutting edge humor. :D:D:D

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm another "never the radio" guy. I have NPR on for my daily commute.

At work I have youtube on much of the time. I'd say probably 90% of the 21st century music I listen to, I found on youtube.

I have three ipods; one for running/biking during the week and two for home. One is for running/biking, the other for yard work. I have a set of ear cups with speakers and an MP3 jack, so I can listen when chainsawing, splitting wood, and mowing the lawn. I also listen to the ipod in the car on trips.

I still listen to CD's, too. I have a boom box in the workshop, where I spend quite a bit of time. I have another for doing chores (painting, etc.) upstairs. I still listen on an old-fashioned stereo, too.

I've bought almost all of the music I own. I've downloaded a handful of live performances from youtube and two albums that I can't find commercially. (I've bought albums by all of the artists whose stuff I've downloaded.) Don't forget that it's (likely) somebody's livelihood you're taking away from if you pirate music. In the case of obscure music, it's probably someone who's not well off. I have no problem not lining the pockets of record-company executives, but I do watch out for the little guy.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have an Astell and Kern DAP which use when I'm out and about. At home I listen to my home system (vinyl only) and on my headphone/amp/DAC system (downloads only). Jazz and classical only.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Jordy, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of ear buds/phones do you listen to the Astell and Kern through?

TIA.

Reaction Score
I grew up in a not terribly wealthy set of circumstances so when our family TV crapped out when I was five or six years old. my parents didn't replace it (they may have also made a conscious choice to remove the distraction from my sister and myself as we were school aged kids at the time). Consequently, we always had the radio on. I have been listening to music and it has been a big part of my life ever since. I have the radio on in the car most times unless I'm listening to a particular artist on CD or MP3. If I find a truly good artist (to me) I will "binge listen" to them for extended periods of time. I generally will have background music on in my office. I often listen to a web based radio station called "Web Radio Classics" as they play music that I grew up with from the 60's.

I am not a particular genre snob as I will listen to just about anything (other than rap/hip hop) depending on my mood. I am less than thrilled by most pop music available on commercial radio these days. Thank goodness for public radio and the internet that allows many very deserving artists an outlet for their music that the traditional record companies can't or won't provide.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Jordy, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of ear buds/phones do you listen to the Astell and Kern through?

TIA.
Astell and Kern Rosie's. I have had the chance recently to listen to the Westone 60's. They were a bit more colored on the bottom, warmer overall with outstanding soundstage capabilities laterally. The Rosie's were a bit more refined, a little more detail within a narrower soundstage, quicker, with a more texture on stringed instruments. The instruments within the soundstage sounded better defined through the Rosie's. The Westone's had more punch from about 300 hz's down. Very engaging. The Rosie's sounded more cerebral. The Westone's better on rock, good on jazz. The Rosie's better on jazz, great on classical. I've also heard the Audeze i4's. They're an open backed earphone design. They're also on another level in speed, detail, textures, dynamics and soundstaging, both laterally and horizontally. Great on anything. Eye opening in performance and I envy anyone who can afford them, at $2500 a pair. Crazy good. Also being open backed anyone in the vicinity can hear what you're listening to. A few years ago I heard the Audeze Sine 20's at $600 a pair, also open backed. They were not competitive with the Rosie's in any way, although their soundstage was slightly (and only) better. As for over the ear can's I've listened to quite a few.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I listen to music when driving in the car and in the golf cart! I use Pandora thru my iPhone.

As to music I listen to, I'm all over the map:
Tchaikovsky
Beethoven
Wagner
Chopin
Benny Goodman
Glenn Miller
Duke Ellington
Count Basie
Benny Goodman
Buddy Rich
Maynard Ferguson
Doc Severnson
Beatles
Aroesmith
Run DMC
Peter, Paul and Mary
Grass Roots
The Platters
Steppenwolf
Eric Claton
Johnny Cash.

And the list goes on and on.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I listen to music when driving in the car and in the golf cart! I use Pandora thru my iPhone.

As to music I listen to, I'm all over the map:
Tchaikovsky
Beethoven
Wagner
Chopin
Benny Goodman
Glenn Miller
Duke Ellington
Count Basie
Benny Goodman
Buddy Rich
Maynard Ferguson
Doc Severnson
Beatles
Aroesmith
Run DMC
Peter, Paul and Mary
Grass Roots
The Platters
Steppenwolf
Eric Claton
Johnny Cash.

And the list goes on and on.
I like your style friend, although that is a lot of Goodman.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I like your style friend, although that is a lot of Goodman.

OOPS! Got Benny in there twice. Must have been because I was working on the playlist for the next swing band rehearsal at the same time. We've got a couple of Goodman's originals that we are working on.

JordyG

Reaction Score
OOPS! Got Benny in there twice. Must have been because I was working on the playlist for the next swing band rehearsal at the same time. We've got a couple of Goodman's originals that we are working on.
Hopefully you're not doing any of that Wagner for band.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Hopefully you're not doing any of that Wagner for band.

No Wagner for band - that's for sure. But I am getting back into arranging after a hiatus of several years. Since the band has no income, so to speak, we write our own arrangements. However, it might be interesting to see if I could do Ride of the Valkyries in swing style!!! :cool::cool:

Reaction Score
I commute 45 min. - 1 hour to work on city transit every day (so about 2 hours a day) and listen to music on big fat headphones all the way there and back. It’s my security blanket - it gives me a private little zone of comfort and familiarity on the crowded buses. I listen mostly to pop and hip hop. It’s so important to me - I get stressed if I forget my headphones! After a long day of being patient and kind and helpful to over a hundred teens and colleagues, I need that private little zone and all those tunes.

JordyG

Reaction Score
No Wagner for band - that's for sure. But I am getting back into arranging after a hiatus of several years. Since the band has no income, so to speak, we write our own arrangements. However, it might be interesting to see if I could do Ride of the Valkyries in swing style!!! :cool::cool:
Sweet idea. Maybe also parts of that Ravel "Rhapsodie Espagnole" would work since it's kind of tango-esque. Of course there's also his "Bolero".

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Sweet idea. Maybe also parts of that Ravel "Rhapsodie Espagnole" would work since it's kind of tango-esque. Of course there's also his "Bolero".

Now those two would be a serious challenge.

Reaction Score
I listen to music in 3 places. At home, when I wake up to my Bose Wave radio/alarm set to WQXR (the NYC classical station); while walking in the park on LI Sound, using mp3's on my S7 Edge through Bose Soundsport earbuds; and in the car, through a Bang & Olufsen sound system either on Sirius/XM (usually channel 18 (Beatles), 32 (Bridge), 75 (Met Opera), 0r 76 (Symphony)) or from mp3's on my S7 Edge via Bluetooth.

I've ripped hundreds of albums from CD's onto my phone, either from CD's I owned or from CD's taken out from one of the local libraries, which has a very extensive CD collection in all genres. I have mostly classic rock, R&B, soul from the 60's through the 80's, some jazz, and lots of classical. Nothing from the last 20 years interests me (and I literally get nauseous from hip/hop).

I have a question for those of you who are more technically up-to-date than myself. I can remember 10 or 15 years ago ripping opera CD's into mp3's using a program I think called Jukebox which allowed one to eliminate the gaps caused by separate tracks. I currently use i-tunes (even though I own no Apple products) to rip CD's, but can find no feature that allows eliminating the gaps when ripping opera. Does anyone know how I can do this. I have fond memories of listening to Lohengrin back in 2001 when I was without a car and had a half hour walk through snow to get to and from the nearest bus stop.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I commute 45 min. - 1 hour to work on city transit every day (so about 2 hours a day) and listen to music on big fat headphones all the way there and back. It’s my security blanket - it gives me a private little zone of comfort and familiarity on the crowded buses. I listen mostly to pop and hip hop. It’s so important to me - I get stressed if I forget my headphones! After a long day of being patient and kind and helpful to over a hundred teens and colleagues, I need that private little zone and all those tunes.
Every so often I’ll forget my music when I go out to run or bike. It’s a bit disarming initially, but it only takes a few minutes to get lost in my thoughts without the prompt of music. That is the point of exercise for me, after all.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Now those two would be a serious challenge.
Yeah. People kind of sleep on Ravel and Debussy, but those guys wrote orchestrations that are really hard to play.

I recently went to see Kirill Gerstein at Town Hall here in NYC and the majority of his program was Debussy's Prelude's Books 1 and 2. Not only did he pierce the maudlin romanticism that many fall prey to when doing these incredibly tough pieces, but he made them seem like two books of a coherent whole. One entire tome, and he popped them off with a well interpreted intelligence , beauty, and clarity.

Good luck with whichever pieces you choose.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I listen to music in 3 places. At home, when I wake up to my Bose Wave radio/alarm set to WQXR (the NYC classical station); while walking in the park on LI Sound, using mp3's on my S7 Edge through Bose Soundsport earbuds; and in the car, through a Bang & Olufsen sound system either on Sirius/XM (usually channel 18 (Beatles), 32 (Bridge), 75 (Met Opera), 0r 76 (Symphony)) or from mp3's on my S7 Edge via Bluetooth.

I've ripped hundreds of albums from CD's onto my phone, either from CD's I owned or from CD's taken out from one of the local libraries, which has a very extensive CD collection in all genres. I have mostly classic rock, R&B, soul from the 60's through the 80's, some jazz, and lots of classical. Nothing from the last 20 years interests me (and I literally get nauseous from hip/hop).

I have a question for those of you who are more technically up-to-date than myself. I can remember 10 or 15 years ago ripping opera CD's into mp3's using a program I think called Jukebox which allowed one to eliminate the gaps caused by separate tracks. I currently use i-tunes (even though I own no Apple products) to rip CD's, but can find no feature that allows eliminating the gaps when ripping opera. Does anyone know how I can do this. I have fond memories of listening to Lohengrin back in 2001 when I was without a car and had a half hour walk through snow to get to and from the nearest bus stop.
Windows Media Player 12 has a program that will allow ripping without gaps.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Yeah. People kind of sleep on Ravel and Debussy, but those guys wrote orchestrations that are really hard to play.

I recently went to see Kirill Gerstein at Town Hall here in NYC and the majority of his program was Debussy's Prelude's Books 1 and 2. Not only did he pierce the maudlin romanticism that many fall prey to when doing these incredibly tough pieces, but he made them seem like two books of a coherent whole. One entire tome, and he popped them off with a well interpreted intelligence , beauty, and clarity.

Good luck with whichever pieces you choose.

The swing band's big need is more dance tunes. We all live and perform in a 55+ community here in Florida. Sketching out Cindi Lauper's "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" and The Village People's "YMCA." Another band member who arranges is working on "The Macarena."

JordyG

Reaction Score
The swing band's big need is more dance tunes. We all live and perform in a 55+ community here in Florida. Sketching out Cindi Lauper's "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" and The Village People's "YMCA." Another band member who arranges is working on "The Macarena."
Good choices. May I suggest, "At The Hop" by Danny and the Juniors, one of those Beach Boys numbers, and some early Motown ("Dancing In The Streets" by Martha and the Vandella's works very well).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom