So Jeff Jacobs call out the NBA Alums... | The Boneyard

So Jeff Jacobs call out the NBA Alums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Feels that they should ante up en masse to pay the balance of the bill for the Werth Center. He always has an angle.

Reaction Score
No one knows what happens behind the scenes, for anything. These guys have given their time and money in many areas outside of UConn events and also some that are related.

I am sure most have not forgotten where their bread is buttered and have somehow given back, somewhere!

Reaction Score
Don't always agree with Jacobs but what he's saying here is quite reasonable IMO. They have helped UCONN numerous ways for sure no argument! But beyond Mek and Donyell and KO's donations I am baffled on this. Out of 1 billion they can't scrape together 1 million? They should want to.

Reaction Score
I thought Calhoun said he did not want the nba alumni to donate. They did their part already. .. could be wrong

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I thought one of JC's roles as an Advisor is special Fundraising?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Who knows whether the players have or have not contributed anonymously. JJ certainly wouldn't have access to that information.

I guess I'm the only one who is scratching my head regarding this column and the recent walk that JJ took. He contributed to a charity that had nothing to do with UConn bb even though his bet was about UConn bb. It was a noble gesture on his part. I admired him for doing it but this column only reinforces why I don't read him. It panders to the baseness in us. I strongly believe in charity. Where and how much we give should be from our hearts and not to appease someone else.

There are many ways to be ambassadors for the program. Several players fund charities in the communities where they grew up or for charities that deal with important issues. They are vocal about their relationship with UConn. IMM this is just as great a PR boost for UConn and the bb program as giving to a practice center. It might even be more of a boost.

Lot's of the best recruits understand these gestures far more than a razzle dazzle super facility. So do casual fans and most of society. It's why most of us had a distaste for the Calipari show vs. the UConn first night. We perceive one as superficial and the other as having substance.

Am I saying The Werth Family Champions center is frivolous? Not by any means. It has a very important value. It keeps the goose that's laying the golden egg alive. Not only for the superficial satisfaction of providing an advantage for the continued success to a program we follow for entertainment but more importantly to get kids into the program who have a greater chance to do more for their communities. I'm not saying kids going to Cal aren't good kids but I am saying kids going to KO will more likely come out as better people for it than going to Cal. And that means more charitable contribution to needy causes. JC understands this. It's no surprise to me JJ doesn't.

Reaction Score
If I was an alumni with NBA loot I surely would be donating a huge ton of money. The thing is I don't have NBA loot, so I (like JJ) can easily say that.

Reaction Score
The column was fine. This board has a knee-jerk reaction to anything he writes that just assumes every column is looking to bring the program through the mud.
This.

Jacobs was insufferable for a couple years with his obvious anti-Calhoun agenda, but his columns have been must-read for awhile now (especially his stuff on the NCAA and conference realignment). He's one of the only local guys that seems to have legitimate connections, too.

Like I said in another thread, I think it's perfectly fair to question why the UConn NBAers haven't donated yet. But I don't think it's fair to criticize without knowing the whole story.

Reaction Score
Question fine, no facts equals no criticism. We no nothing and don't think Jacobs does either.

Reaction Score
Get the money from boosters and sponsors. Get the UConn family love from our NBA players. I'd much rather see Ray sitting next to KO for midnight madness and see Caron, CV, Lamb, Dyson etc in the stands for the final four than have them simply sign a check. Having our successful NBA alumni visible is far more tangible for the program!

Reaction Score
There must be a reason none of our former players donated. We know many of them are passionate about UCONN basketball and care about the university. Has Jeff interviewed any of our alum in the NBA for comment? My gut tells me there is a good explanation as to why Ray's name along with others is not on the donation list.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
There must be a reason none of our former players donated. We know many of them are passionate about UCONN basketball and care about the university. Has Jeff interviewed any of our alum in the NBA for comment? My gut tells me there is a good explanation as to why Ray's name along with others is not on the donation list.
He asked Ray about it and the answer was long and convoluted, but what I gathered from it is that Ray and other players took an active role in going to fundraisers, reaching out to boosters, behind-the-scenes stuff. Which is what I think JC preferred they do, although I don't know why he gets to decide this issue.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what past players have done behind the scenes or if they have donated anonymously. Maybe their behind the scene work has greatly influenced others into donating. Maybe they don't want it publicized.

But with that being said it is dumbfounding the lack of contributions to this cause by past players. I graduated from the UConn school of business and have always followed UConn sports. I send ( be it very small) a contribution to the school of business each year, and pay a seat donation to UConn football games. Many on this board donate a great deal to the sports department or to the school as alumni. Why the players don't (many have made more $ then we will ever see) is a mystery.

I know I don't have all the facts and I am not a big JJ fan, but his questioning of the players on this topic is fine with me. Wish we can hear their side of the story, maybe there is a reasonable explanation.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of Jacobs, but his last two columns have been great.

Reaction Score
Who knows whether the players have or have not contributed anonymously. JJ certainly wouldn't have access to that information.

I guess I'm the only one who is scratching my head regarding this column and the recent walk that JJ took. He contributed to a charity that had nothing to do with UConn bb even though his bet was about UConn bb. It was a noble gesture on his part. I admired him for doing it but this column only reinforces why I don't read him. It panders to the baseness in us. I strongly believe in charity. Where and how much we give should be from our hearts and not to appease someone else.

There are many ways to be ambassadors for the program. Several players fund charities in the communities where they grew up or for charities that deal with important issues. They are vocal about their relationship with UConn. IMM this is just as great a PR boost for UConn and the bb program as giving to a practice center. It might even be more of a boost.

Lot's of the best recruits understand these gestures far more than a razzle dazzle super facility. So do casual fans and most of society. It's why most of us had a distaste for the Calipari show vs. the UConn first night. We perceive one as superficial and the other as having substance.

Am I saying The Werth Family Champions center is frivolous? Not by any means. It has a very important value. It keeps the goose that's laying the golden egg alive. Not only for the superficial satisfaction of providing an advantage for the continued success to a program we follow for entertainment but more importantly to get kids into the program who have a greater chance to do more for their communities. I'm not saying kids going to Cal aren't good kids but I am saying kids going to KO will more likely come out as better people for it than going to Cal. And that means more charitable contribution to needy causes. JC understands this. It's no surprise to me JJ doesn't.

Outstanding post as always, fleud. Most of our high profile players have been wonderful ambassadors to the program. Look at how active the guys are in charitable events. Look at Ray donating new computer labs to local schools. I know that many are active where they grew up. Caron has done a lot for Wisconsin kids in need. Rip, Kemba, and Mek have done a lot, and these things are far more valuable than giving money to the practice facility.

Truth is, we don't know the truth, cuz we don't have all the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom