So if/when the C7 leave, where do the BE credits go? | The Boneyard

So if/when the C7 leave, where do the BE credits go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
I have heard a bunch of stuff about how the C7 would get to keep the auto birth, the BE name and the MSG contract, but where do the BE credits go? I assume they can't keep them from UConn if they get them...anyone know?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UConn is currently in eligible for credit payments due to a litany of reasons. I think its just this year.

caw

Reaction Score
UConn is currently in eligible for credit payments due to a litany of reasons. I think its just this year.

Right, but the BE hasn't been fully paid on past credits. I know UConn can't get paid for the men's basketball ones for this year.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Lawyers will wrestle with that. I guess it would start with who gets to keep the BE name. The quick and dirty fix might be that the C7 agree to leave BE and forego the credits in lieu of the exit fee. The remaining FB teams would keep the BE brand and credits. The C7, form a new conference and the NCAA would grant them an autobid.

Reaction Score
Lawyers will wrestle with that. I guess it would start with who gets to keep the BE name. The quick and dirty fix might be that the C7 agree to leave BE and forego the credits in lieu of the exit fee. The remaining FB teams would keep the BE brand and credits. The C7, form a new conference and the NCAA would grant them an autobid.

Legally speaking, I don't know how the C7 can expect to quit the league and then take its name with them. That just won't fly.

Their alternative is to vote out the other schools, while they still have a majority.

Then it becomes a breach of contract case where the C7 are paying damages to the ones they kicked out (or if you prefer, those whose offers were rescinded).

It seems to me the only way they keep the NCAA credits, conference name and Big East contract with MSG is to remain in the conference and kick the others out. That would take some serious balls.

caw

Reaction Score
Legally speaking, I don't know how the C7 can expect to quit the league and then take its name with them. That just won't fly.

Their alternative is to vote out the other schools, while they still have a majority.

Then it becomes a breach of contract case where the C7 are paying damages to the ones they kicked out (or if you prefer, those whose offers were rescinded).

It seems to me the only way they keep the NCAA credits, conference name and Big East contract with MSG is to remain in the conference and kick the others out. That would take some serious balls.

I don't know how the by-laws are written, just going off of what I have heard in this case.

Reaction Score
I don't know how the by-laws are written, just going off of what I have heard in this case.

I have read the By-Laws, but not in a while, since the WVU suit. But that is my general recollection, and it makes sense under general corporations law. The people leaving the organization don't ordinarily get to keep the name/brand/goodwill of the organization they quit.

Reaction Score
There is a lot of money on the table here: Exit fees, NCAA credits, bowl money, TV contracts, MSG contract, football schedules... The question is will the C7 treat UConn, Cincinnati, and USF well? If not, this breakup could make the first raid on the BE by the ACC look like a minor spat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom