So I watched some RE1.0 youtubes last night | The Boneyard

So I watched some RE1.0 youtubes last night

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
A few things jumped out at me in comparison to where we were recently

1) We were much much more physical. We hit harder. We swarmed on defense. Our Oline just kept hitting someone in the other jersey until the whistle blew. They ran downfield and hit people. On D, after an INT, our safety - think it was Vaughn - blocked the WR out of the play and then kept pushing him back for 10 yards just being physical.

2) We were much more athletic. It pops out on defense. Our D ends didn't look like they were in slow motion when they went after the QB. Our LB's made plays all other the field. Our backfield picked off a bunch of passes.

3) There was a return play in almost every game. It might not have been a TD every time, but starting a drive at midfield after an opponent's touchdown would be wonderful to experience again. And it wasn't just that it was Nick Williams. It was him or Todman or Jasper Howard or Branch or Robbie Frey or Larry Taylor etc.

On an individual level, Lorenzen threw the ball OK before he got hurt. And he was faster than I remember. Dixon was a first down machine. If we needed 5, he got 6. If we needed 8, he got 10 etc. Lutrus sure showed up whenever the ball was on the ground.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A few things jumped out at me in comparison to where we were recently

1) We were much much more physical. We hit harder. We swarmed on defense. Our Oline just kept hitting someone in the other jersey until the whistle blew. They ran downfield and hit people. On D, after an INT, our safety - think it was Vaughn - blocked the WR out of the play and then kept pushing him back for 10 yards just being physical.

2) We were much more athletic. It pops out on defense. Our D ends didn't look like they were in slow motion when they went after the QB. Our LB's made plays all other the field. Our backfield picked off a bunch of passes.

3) There was a return play in almost every game. It might not have been a TD every time, but starting a drive at midfield after an opponent's touchdown would be wonderful to experience again. And it wasn't just that it was Nick Williams. It was him or Todman or Jasper Howard or Branch or Robbie Frey or Larry Taylor etc.

On an individual level, Lorenzen threw the ball OK before he got hurt. And he was faster than I remember. Dixon was a first down machine. If we needed 5, he got 6. If we needed 8, he got 10 etc. Lutrus sure showed up whenever the ball was on the ground.

And remember Diaco never bothered to watch any of UConn football history - probably would have been horrified.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
"On an individual level, Lorenzen threw the ball OK before he got hurt. And he was faster than I remember."

Lorenzen was quick, especially for a man his size. With the quality of O-line play and running backs that we had during his tenure, especially when he could still throw, his running ability made our ground game unstoppable. He was our most effective QB after Dan O.

EDIT: And one of my favorite Huskies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
"Back in the day" we played an exciting brand of football.
Just another case of him insulating himself
You know, if our old games were on Nick he would have watched them.

Reaction Score
RE would have been the perfect coach for the Falcons in the 2nd half of their Super Bowl, he got killed in the past for running the ball so much there is a reason for that to shorten the game.

Reaction Score
"On an individual level, Lorenzen threw the ball OK before he got hurt. And he was faster than I remember."

Lorenzen was quick, especially for a man his size. With the quality of O-line play and running backs that we had during his tenure, especially when he could still throw, his running ability made our ground game unstoppable. He was our most effective QB after Dan O.

EDIT: And one of my favorite Huskies.

Lorenzen gets a bad rep his 2 years here we were ranked (yes i know Donald Brown, the defense, special teams) but he was a huge factor for us, he also missed some games in his Senior year I believe when he returned he was playing hurt.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I was at TL's first game against Duke and he was amazing. I think that ended up being his best game at UConn.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
UCONN was 2 bad shotgun snaps from beating Virginia on the road with Lorenzen in 2007!!

Agreed, I drove to that game and back the same day with UMBear's brother in a rented Cadillac. Ended up tailgating with a lot of the player's families who treated us like one of their own. Good times.

UConn-3  UVa-0.JPG

Reaction Score
Lorenzen gets a bad rep his 2 years here we were ranked (yes i know Donald Brown, the defense, special teams) but he was a huge factor for us, he also missed some games in his Senior year I believe when he returned he was playing hurt.
Nah.

Iowa State wanted him at WR, Therefore, we should have played him at WR.

/sarcasm

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom