So how was Dallas as a Final 4 spot? | The Boneyard

So how was Dallas as a Final 4 spot?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
First time in Dallas......... for those who went... how was it as a host city compared to other places? The arena... the hospitality? The layout?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It was a nice arena except the corner sections face straight ahead instead of being angled towards the court. It was very difficult to see the far corner on the same side. I was flying back and forth from the Men's Final Four in Phoenix, so I didn't get to partake in many of the non-game festivities. They did have cool light shows on 4 of the Dallas buildings for the Final Four and after USC won, they had various congratulations up in lights. That was way cool.

Reaction Score
Really nice, well-appointed arena. I was impressed with the fact that up in the cheap seats, they didn't treat you like you were in the cheap seats. We had a huge FlashTicket problem the first game, but we determined that was the NCAA's problem, not the arena's. Prior to going to Dallas and at the game, arena personnel were exceptional. Parking was expensive, but that was expected. As a city, a good place to see stuff. The Kennedy Assassination Museum is nearby and the Dallas World Aquarium, also nearby, is outstanding. The West Side is full of restaurants and bars, again, nearby. We stayed in a hotel well away from thew area because we d not want to pay the high prices there ($250-$300 a night).

Reaction Score
I used to live in Dallas so I loved it and showed the MIssissippi State fans around town on Saturday and Saturday Night.

Reaction Score
First time in Dallas.... for those who went... how was it as a host city compared to other places? The arena... the hospitality? The layout?
Living in Dallas area, I had previously posted about the lack of PR regarding women's basketball. While somewhat silent the week's prior to the event, the local press ramped up the last few days. Dallas Morning News had full page articles about all the teams. While the Boneyard news was more interesting, at least they stepped up. Most radio shows such as local ESPN channel unfortunately virtually ignored the event with one of the prime time 5PM hosts stating, "No one cares about women's basketball."

Reaction Score
We always rent a car and usually stay outside of town for the final four. One downside to Dallas was the massive highway construction and reconstruction that seemed to be going on all over the area, making for adventurous and difficult driving around the metroplex. It seemed that we were always encountering rerouted highways and closed entrance and exit ramps to the various highways. I don't think our GPS was too happy about this, and neither were we.

Reaction Score
It was good. We stayed in the team hotel and they provided regular shuttles to the arena. We also got the added attraction on the Comic-Con convention as a bonus. I met a lot of fans from the other teams and didn't realize I met A'Ja Wilson's father until I saw him on TV the next day.

Reaction Score
The venue was wonderful, especially with the giant screen for those in the upper sections. The free shuttles from the hotels made for easy to and from the arena. Traffic on the highways in and around Dallas is horrendous. It is really much easier and faster to get around Dallas using the secondary roads, but no one tells you that and sends you on the highways. Great sites, restaurants, and shopping. Real cheap sponsor freebee on the first night games (drawstring back-sack) was a real disappointment from previous years.

Reaction Score
I thought the American Airlines Center looked great on TV. And you couldn't find an empty seat.

Seems when a city host for the first time like Dallas, Denver, and Nasvhille they are extra excited about it.

It also helps who makes it. Mississippi State has a very passionate fan base that has never won a National Title in any sport and traveled very well.

Reaction Score
Dallas is probably the most boring city in the country. After the Kennedy site, there really isn't much else. Their aquarium compared to Mystic, please....

Reaction Score
Everything that we did far exceeded my expectations (Dallas Aquarium, Reunion Tower, and Dallas Comic Con). Across the board, I thought that the hospitality was outstanding. To boot, we got to meet the following: Tamika Catchings, Breanna Stewart, Kelly Schumacher, Kara Lawson, Lindsey Whalen, Doris Burke, Nell Fortner and Jody Condradt. To be fair, we stayed at the Hyatt Regency which was the host for the Alumnation Event. This ranks as one of my favorite Final Four experiences behind Tampa Bay (2015), and San Antonio (2002).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I thought the American Airlines Center looked great on TV. And you couldn't find an empty seat.

Seems when a city host for the first time like Dallas, Denver, and Nasvhille they are extra excited about it.

It also helps who makes it. Mississippi State has a very passionate fan base that has never won a National Title in any sport and traveled very well.

Well that bodes well for next year's final 4. Ive seen people question Columbus as a host city..... but I have a feeling it will be a good host site. Just a hunch.

Dallas is probably the most boring city in the country. After the Kennedy site, there really isn't much else. Their aquarium compared to Mystic, please....

:rolleyes: I find that hard to believe....... actually I refuse to believe that.

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of Mystic Aquarium, but Dallas World Aquarium provides a wonderful tourist experience because it is NOT and aquarium. The three-toed sloth alone was worth the price of admission. As for the most boring place, I've been in cities that were a lot more boring than Dallas. And let's keep this all in perspective, shall we? This board is all about a university whose capital city is Hartford, yes?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom