So, does UCONN get the best players or do they become so? | The Boneyard

So, does UCONN get the best players or do they become so?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
This list indicates the HoH players on each team, not their playing time or impact in each year. While I would like to add Gabulous, Pheesa and Lou (among others) it is too soon. No new news here, but I'd welcome comments as well as corrections.

Year Result Eventual HOH Their names

1994 FF (30-3) 3 Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters

1995 NC (35-0) 4 Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters, Sales

1996 FF (34-4) 3 Rizzotti, Wolters, Sales

1997 RF (33-1) 3 Wolters, Sales, Ralph

1998 RF (34-3) 1 Sales, Abrosimova, Ralph

1999 16 (29-5) 3 Abrosimova, Bird, Cash, Ralph

2000 NC (26-1) 4 Abrosimova, Bird, Cash, Ralph

2001 FF (32-3) 4 Abrosimova, Bird, Cash, Ralph

2002 NC (39-0) 3 Bird, Cash, Taurasi

2003 NC (37-1) 1 Taurasi

2004 NC (31-4) 1 Taurasi

2005 16 (25-8) 0

2006 RF (32-5) 1 Montgomery

2007 RF (32-4) 2 Montgomery, Charles

2008 RF (36-2) 2 Montgomery, Charles

2009 NC (39-0) 3 Montgomery, Charles, Moore

2010 NC (39-0) 2 Charles, Moore

2011 FF (36-2) 3 Moore, Dolson, Hartley

2012 FF (33-5) 3 Moore, Dolson, Hartley, KML

2013 NC (35-4) 6 Dolson, Hartley, KML, Jefferson, Stewart, Tuck

2014 NC (40-0) 6 Dolson, Hartley, KML, Jefferson, Stewart, Tuck

2015 NC (38-1) 4 KML, Jefferson, Stewart, Tuck

2016 NC (38-0) 3 Jefferson, Stewart, Tuck

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
There have been a number of posts on this topic, or, its first cousins. The answers seem to be that
A). UConn is one of the half-dozen or so schools that get more high school AA than other schools. In any given year, schools such as Tennessee, Maryland, South Carolina, Duke, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Baylor, Stanford, may have almost as many AA's as UConn, or have a higher-rated recruiting class. Currently, I think that there are two or three schools that have as many or more AA's than UConn - working from memory, I think Tennessee, Duke and maybe another. I ran the numbers some months ago, and I can dig it up if you'd like.
B). UConn does seem to get the #1-rated high school player a disproportionate amount of the time.
C). Perhaps most importantly, UConn has been highly successful in recent years in getting the kind of player they want - not only filling needs (rather than, say, stockpiling power forwards, or just 2 guards), but, in recruiting players that will fit. Players that will put team first, take defense seriously, respond to the highly-demanding approach to coaching and the game that Geno espouses, and can deal with the spotlight and the media, too.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

1994 RF (30-3) 3 Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters

1998 RF (34-3) 3 Sales, Abrosimova, Ralph

1999 16 (29-5) 4 Abrosimova, Bird, Cash, Ralph

2000 NC (36-1) 4 Abrosimova, Bird, Cash, Ralph

2001 FF (32-3) 5 Abrosimova, Bird, Cash, Ralph, Taurasi

2003 NC (37-1) 1 Taurasi

2004 NC (31-4) 1 Taurasi

2005 16 (25-8) 0

2008 FF (36-2) 3 Montgomery, Charles, Moore

2012 FF (33-5) 3 Moore (remove), Dolson, Hartley, KML

Corrections in red :)

Ultimately, UConn wins titles with at least two players that were ranked #1 in high school. That's not a guarantee of a title, of course. But, they don't win a title when they don't have that. (The exception was 1995.)

Geno does a lot with some, like 1991. He does more with more, like 1995. He does the most with the most, like the last four years, for example.

Other schools have great recruiting classes, even a few in a row. Geno gets the most out of his great classes.

When he doesn't have a great class (or the right great class)? You get 2005 through 2007.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure I've ever seen a better or more succinct summary of the answer to this question than PinotBear's.

Reaction Score
This list indicates the HoH players on each team, not their playing time or impact in each year. While I would like to add Gabulous, Pheesa and Lou (among others) it is too soon. No new news here, but I'd welcome comments as well as corrections.

2003 NC (37-1) 1 Taurasi

2004 NC (31-4) 1 Taurasi

2005 16 (25-8) 0

No disagreement-- the Title premise---Does Uconn get the best or make them the best.
The true answer is both---Geno recruits a lot of players some are top level players--and usually those top recruits become top players--the lessor recruits usually do not become high sought after Wnba players (USUAlLY)--Geno after a year two or almost 3 years makes highly regarded professional type players--usually. Geno does not always recruit the top players--and often they become role players --or leave. So top recruits become better at Uconn.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There have been a number of posts on this topic, or, its first cousins. The answers seem to be that
A). UConn is one of the half-dozen or so schools that get more high school AA than other schools. In any given year, schools such as Tennessee, Maryland, South Carolina, Duke, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Baylor, Stanford, may have almost as many AA's as UConn, or have a higher-rated recruiting class. Currently, I think that there are two or three schools that have as many or more AA's than UConn - working from memory, I think Tennessee, Duke and maybe another. I ran the numbers some months ago, and I can dig it up if you'd like.
B). UConn does seem to get the #1-rated high school player a disproportionate amount of the time.
C). Perhaps most importantly, UConn has been highly successful in recent years in getting the kind of player they want - not only filling needs (rather than, say, stockpiling power forwards, or just 2 guards), but, in recruiting players that will fit. Players that will put team first, take defense seriously, respond to the highly-demanding approach to coaching and the game that Geno espouses, and can deal with the spotlight and the media, too.

A half-time graphic a couple of weeks ago on ESPN network had 8 schools with more AAs than UConn. Rebecca was holding forth on "the myth."

The answer to me is that UConn gets some kids with great potential pre-certified and some with all the things Geno et al think they need to work a kid up to where they are excellent players. None of them arrive with the tools already in the belt to play for UConn.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
None of them arrive with the tools already in the belt to play for UConn.

I don't know about "none." I'd say that Maya, Shea, Sue, and Breanna, for starters, arrived ready to play for UConn. Yes, they all got much better. But, they were ready to play. I mean, Sue started at PG her first game.

Reaction Score
There's no way Morgan Tuck should be included on the 2014 (2013-2014) season as she only played in 8 games.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

2003 NC (37-1) 1 Taurasi

2004 NC (31-4) 1 Taurasi

2005 16 (25-8) 0

It's both. Connecticut more often than not has the best player in the country on their championship team and she is usually surrounded by 1-2 All Americans. Geno does an exceptional job of filling the rest of the roster with support players and role players who understand their role on the team and play within themselves. He also develops talent as well as anyone in the business and does a terrific job of identifying players who will respond to his coaching style. Not everyone is going to buy into his philosophy and he does a good job of avoiding those players.

Talent wise though, there's no denying that Connecticut has had an embarrassment of riches over the years. In the last twenty years Geno has landed Ralph, Williams, Cash, Taurasi, Strother, Charles, Moore, EDD (granted she didn't play at UCONN), KML, Jefferson, Stewart, KLS and now Walker. All of those players were top 2 recruits coming out of high school, and almost all of those players were major impact players as freshmen. Not to mention players like Hartley, Bird, Montgomery, Turner, Doty, Hayes, Nurse, Williams, etc who were day one contributors despite not being a top 5 recruit. No other program has had the consistent recruiting success that UCONN has had the last 20 years. Tennessee is comfortably 2nd, but is still a big step behind.

I think what separates UCONN from the rest of the pack, specifically over the last ten years, has been their ability to develop virtually every top 20-30 kid who enters the program. Players come to UCONN with potential and leave having maximized it. From 2007-08 on, here are a handful of the kids who developed into very good players after up and down starts:

Swanier-out of control as an underclass man, one of the more underrated point guards as a senior

Renee Montgomery-trigger happy point guard who shot for poor percentages as a junior, a NPOY candidate as a senior.

Tina Charles-developed into the premier post player in the country as a senior after an up and down sophomore campaign

Kalana Greene-quietly developed into one of the best support players in the country her senior season.

Kelly Faris-scrappy freshman with limited offensive ability. One of the best support/do everything players as a senior.

Stefanie Dolson-looked so lost as a freshman early on, consistently dropped weight and improved, she probably should have taken home MOP in the Final Four as a senior and she was arguably the team MVP in 2014.

Moriah Jefferson-looked out of control as a freshman. Now is remembered as one of the best point guards in women's college basketball history.

Morgan Tuck-inconsistent as a freshman, developed into one of the best inside out players her junior and senior seasons.

Breanna Stewart-extremely inconsistent as a freshman. As a senior she had as good of a season as anybody ever has.

Gabby Williams-undersized post as a freshman who played big minutes in garbage games. As a junior is the team's best all around player.

Napheesa Collier-quiet as a frosh. Lock to be an All American as a sophomore.

KLS-streaky shooter as a freshman who is now a leading candidate for POY as a sophomore.

Saniya Chong-most people wrote her off after her first year. As a senior she is now a very underrated point guard who leads the nation in A/TO ratio.

The only 4 year player who contributed but didn't improve by leaps and bounds at Connecticut was Tiffany Hayes, and people will probably criticize me for saying that.

No other program has the combination of talent and proven development of talent like Connecticut. Honestly, I think if any other coach had this roster, they would have lost at least 2-3 games by this juncture. The coaching job Geno and co have done this year might be his best job yet.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It's both. Connecticut more often than not has the best player in the country on their championship team and she is usually surrounded by 1-2 All Americans. Geno does an exceptional job of filling the rest of the roster with support players and role players who understand their role on the team and play within themselves. He also develops talent as well as anyone in the business and does a terrific job of identifying players who will respond to his coaching style. Not everyone is going to buy into his philosophy and he does a good job of avoiding those players.

Talent wise though, there's no denying that Connecticut has had an embarrassment of riches over the years. In the last twenty years Geno has landed Ralph, Williams, Cash, Taurasi, Strother, Charles, Moore, EDD (granted she didn't play at UCONN), KML, Jefferson, Stewart, KLS and now Walker. All of those players were top 2 recruits coming out of high school, and almost all of those players were major impact players as freshmen. Not to mention players like Hartley, Bird, Montgomery, Turner, Doty, Hayes, Nurse, Williams, etc who were day one contributors despite not being a top 5 recruit. No other program has had the consistent recruiting success that UCONN has had the last 20 years. Tennessee is comfortably 2nd, but is still a big step behind.

I think what separates UCONN from the rest of the pack, specifically over the last ten years, has been their ability to develop virtually every top 20-30 kid who enters the program. Players come to UCONN with potential and leave having maximized it. From 2007-08 on, here are a handful of the kids who developed into very good players after up and down starts:

Swanier-out of control as an underclass man, one of the more underrated point guards as a senior

Renee Montgomery-trigger happy point guard who shot for poor percentages as a junior, a NPOY candidate as a senior.

Tina Charles-developed into the premier post player in the country as a senior after an up and down sophomore campaign

Kalana Greene-quietly developed into one of the best support players in the country her senior season.

Kelly Faris-scrappy freshman with limited offensive ability. One of the best support/do everything players as a senior.

Stefanie Dolson-looked so lost as a freshman early on, consistently dropped weight and improved, she probably should have taken home MOP in the Final Four as a senior and she was arguably the team MVP in 2014.

Moriah Jefferson-looked out of control as a freshman. Now is remembered as one of the best point guards in women's college basketball history.

Morgan Tuck-inconsistent as a freshman, developed into one of the best inside out players her junior and senior seasons.

Breanna Stewart-extremely inconsistent as a freshman. As a senior she had as good of a season as anybody ever has.

Gabby Williams-undersized post as a freshman who played big minutes in garbage games. As a junior is the team's best all around player.

Napheesa Collier-quiet as a frosh. Lock to be an All American as a sophomore.

KLS-streaky shooter as a freshman who is now a leading candidate for POY as a sophomore.

Saniya Chong-most people wrote her off after her first year. As a senior she is now a very underrated point guard who leads the nation in A/TO ratio.

The only 4 year player who contributed but didn't improve by leaps and bounds at Connecticut was Tiffany Hayes, and people will probably criticize me for saying that.

No other program has the combination of talent and proven development of talent like Connecticut. Honestly, I think if any other coach had this roster, they would have lost at least 2-3 games by this juncture. The coaching job Geno and co have done this year might be his best job yet.

Close thread. I've read all that I need to read here.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kerry Bascom is in the HOH. She played on the 87/88 through 90/91 teams. She was WBCA AA in 90/91 season.

Reaction Score
A half-time graphic a couple of weeks ago on ESPN network had 8 schools with more AAs than UConn. Rebecca was holding forth on "the myth."

The answer to me is that UConn gets some kids with great potential pre-certified and some with all the things Geno et al think they need to work a kid up to where they are excellent players. None of them arrive with the tools already in the belt to play for UConn.
I agree Top Recruits, regardless of how great the talent, need the Uconn treatment for "final touches" for greatness.

Only one--comes close to violating that truism--DT --she walked in the door ready to play--with an ego to complete the package. Yes with all she had--(we have DT and they don't)--she required modifications to her skills and defense. A close second was SVETA--she lacked defense--why do i need to play defense--I score!!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I agree Top Recruits, regardless of how great the talent, need the Uconn treatment for "final touches" for greatness.

Only one--comes close to violating that truism--DT --she walked in the door ready to play--with an ego to complete the package. Yes with all she had--(we have DT and they don't)--she required modifications to her skills and defense. A close second was SVETA--she lacked defense--why do i need to play defense--I score!!

Moore was great before she ever suited up for Connecticut. She is arguably the best freshman to ever play college basketball, finishing #2 in POY to Candace Parker in some polls and then winning three POY awards to finish her career. "Only" two titles on her resume, but IMO she is the best player to ever suit up for the Huskies when you look at her body of work.

Reaction Score

2003 NC (37-1) 1 Taurasi

2004 NC (31-4) 1 Taurasi

2005 16 (25-8) 0

I'm thinking the national championship team of 2000 was actually 36-1 rather than the 26-1 that you listed. Really liked the info you listed. Well done!

Reaction Score
Moore was great before she ever suited up for Connecticut. She is arguably the best freshman to ever play college basketball, finishing #2 in POY to Candace Parker in some polls and then winning three POY awards to finish her career. "Only" two titles on her resume, but IMO she is the best player to ever suit up for the Huskies when you look at her body of work.
I have been saying that for a long time. There's no question she was appreciably more consistent throughout her time in Storrs whereas players like Stuart had periods of less than exceptional play, particularly through a lot of her freshman year. Moore was the consummate player from the moment she stepped on the campus and I loved the way she comported herself always. Never disrespectful or arrogant or overly demonstrative and always respectful of her teammates and even her opponents. An amazing lady.

Reaction Score

DT played with great skill but her attitude, beloved by some here, was not to my liking. I much preferred the grace and class of Maya to the MOXIE of DT and appreciated her (Maya's) skill level more, as well.

Reaction Score
DT played with great skill but her attitude, beloved by some here, was not to my liking. I much preferred the grace and class of Maya to the MOXIE of DT and appreciated her (Maya's) skill level more, as well.
DT had confidence/ego the size of an elephant, except in the 2001 NCAA game with ND, that was why she took on the improbably and succeeded. There were some things within that personality I didn't like--but I liked the results.
Maya was to me--a lady--an extremely nice person--some of what was demanded of her was not within her personality--but she made that work. As a friend--I'd take Maya. But either was capable of winning for Uconn (with the appropriate supporting players).

Reaction Score

Arguing for or against any two of those we consider Uconn greats--pick any two--is like being asked which of your daughters do you want shot. As a fan i liked them all.
i was asked between Maya and DT---each brought their own personalities to the table--each brought their own skills--.
As this season began--I stated, and believed, that Moriah was born great--the skills came with her --and some posters had a hard time believing that--
The Maya I remember was not the basketball player--it was the gracious, caring, giving LADY she projected to me and the public.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom