So close you can smell it. | The Boneyard

So close you can smell it.

Reaction Score
The last time I was this ready for the opener was against Wagner. I thought we were ready to roll. That didn't go well.

I truly believe this team can exceed expectations. That they will produce a lot of very warm winter nights. I try not to take the opener too seriously. I remember 03-04 when we beat Yale by 10 in the opener. Afterwards the Yale coach implied they were the better team. We won the NC that year.

Anyways, I hope everyone is psyched. A comfortable victory where we play well would be nice. Heck, just seeing 'em back on the court will be nice. Go Huskies.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Psyched. Feels like we’re the last team in the country to get their season started though Head bang

amidagoat

Amida was the goat
Reaction Score
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Very hyped. Will be there Friday with a bunch of people, and Florida as well. Huskies!

Reaction Score
Tip off 30 hours away and still no word on James...don’t like that

Me neither. I think its obvious he won't play but it would be nice to know a timeline. Last year, Hurley just suspended Sid indefinitely and brought him back later without much or any announcement. Hopefully, this is different.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Not sure why everyone here thinks he's going to get off with a slap on the wrist and be back soon. Look at Hurley's track record handling these situation (last year with Sid a prime example).

We shouldn't expect much info from Hurley but we should expect a lengthy absence (at least the first month).

I'd be happy to be wrong about this one, but I don't think the punishment will be as light or as short as people expect.

Reaction Score
Given that Sacred Heart lost to Providence by 46 points on Tuesday night, the opener is not likely to establish any positives. St. Joe's, next Wednesday, may be a different story. The Hawks beat a favored Bradley team Tuesday night. We'll see what they do Sunday against Old Dominion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He isn't playing. Expect him to be the invisible man until the University decides what they are going to do.
(just my guess, no inside info)

Reaction Score
Not sure why everyone here thinks he's going to get off with a slap on the wrist and be back soon. Look at Hurley's track record handling these situation (last year with Sid a prime example).

We shouldn't expect much info from Hurley but we should expect a lengthy absence (at least the first month).

I'd be happy to be wrong about this one, but I don't think the punishment will be as light or as short as people expect.

I have no doubt you're right. We won't see Bouk before December. He must be shown that his selfish actions cost the team its NCAA bid next March. This will be Bouk's life lesson. Hurley's life lesson will be to recruit committed basketball players and not kids who need life lessons.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have no doubt you're right. We won't see Bouk before December. He must be shown that his selfish actions cost the team its NCAA bid next March. This will be Bouk's life lesson. Hurley's life lesson will be to recruit committed basketball players and not kids who need life lessons.

What you know about Bouknight as a person wouldn't fill a thimble. There are zero kids graduating high school, athletes or otherwise, who don't need many, many life lessons. It's what college is about. You can only hope they are less costly than this one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He must be shown that his selfish actions cost the team its NCAA bid next March.
No, no he doesn't. If that does happen it will because the university decided to have a "show punishment." You know like the parent who decides to create a public scene because they are embarrassed by their kid's actions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What you know about Bouknight as a person wouldn't fill a thimble. There are zero kids graduating high school, athletes or otherwise, who don't need many, many life lessons. It's what college is about. You can only hope they are less costly than this one.

It is pathetic, of course, that an 81-year-old should attach his happiness to the antics of an 18-year-old kid unknown to him. It is pathetic when the 81-year-old should resent the kid's coach taking punitive action against the kid without considering the happiness of the 81-year-old. All of that is pathetic. But allowing for differences in age, it is more or less true of all of us. Our personal joie de vivre is impacted by Bouknight's action and Hurley's response, but we are in no way consulted in the matter. What is this forum for if not to allow for a little venting of frustration -- an occasional forlorn cry into the void.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is pathetic, of course, that an 81-year-old should attach his happiness to the antics of an 18-year-old kid unknown to him. It is pathetic when the 81-year-old should resent the kid's coach taking punitive action against the kid without considering the happiness of the 81-year-old. All of that is pathetic. But allowing for differences in age, it is more or less true of all of us. Our personal joie de vivre is impacted by Bouknight's action and Hurley's response, but we are in no way consulted in the matter. What is this forum for if not to allow for a little venting of frustration -- an occasional forlorn cry into the void.

Frustrated sure. So who do you think is most upset by this? James is most upset. He is probably crushed that he let down his teammates, his coaches, his family and others. Hurley has said as much. I do not wish to add my trivial anxiety to his burden. As for Hurley, he recruited a great player and a kid who is by all accounts, and despite this, a great kid. He will have bright future here and beyond. Hurley has no regrets about bringing him to UConn, of that I have no doubt.

One of my favorite players UConn ever brought in is Caron Butler. From his wikipedia page: "Butler was born and raised in Racine, Wisconsin, where he suffered through a rough childhood; he was a drug dealer at age 12 and arrested 15 times before the age of 15.[1] Butler discovered his love for basketball while at a youth detention center." Went on to be a lottery pick.

I'm ready for the season. I expect Bouknight will play a key role as we finally qualify for postseason play. We are going to be very glad he's a husky.

Reaction Score
The last time I was this ready for the opener was against Wagner. I thought we were ready to roll. That didn't go well.

I truly believe this team can exceed expectations. That they will produce a lot of very warm winter nights. I try not to take the opener too seriously. I remember 03-04 when we beat Yale by 10 in the opener. Afterwards the Yale coach implied they were the better team. We won the NC that year.

Anyways, I hope everyone is psyched. A comfortable victory where we play well would be nice. Heck, just seeing 'em back on the court will be nice. Go Huskies.

I'm pumped, I'm psyched, and I'm ready. It's time for my cheeseburger in paradise.

Reaction Score

Man, all the downvotes. The irony here is that Florida is going to pound us and everyone is going to say “why can’t we be as good as they are” and if he played for Florida you would never hear a word about this.

Reaction Score
Man, all the downvotes. The irony here is that Florida is going to pound us and everyone is going to say “why can’t we be as good as they are” and if he played for Florida you would never hear a word about this.
Florida might go all the way this year, now that they have Blackshear.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

This didn't age well. I'll be (happily) eating crow for dinner tonight. Hope it tastes like chicken.

Reaction Score
I am optimistic for a better year. If not NCAA bound, then we will be NIT bound. That's how Calhoun started things rolling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom