So a really wierd question ... | The Boneyard

So a really wierd question ...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This was posted on the VolNation board - Who was the last male HC to beat Uconn before Vic - i did the research because it struck me both as odd and curious - especially give the pre-game question about gender in coaching. So ...
In the last ten years the teams to beat Uconn are Standford (3), ND (7), Baylor (2) and St John's (Barnes Arico 1) and Rutgers (1). So all women coaches.
Prior to that:
2007 add in Pat, Sylvia, CViv, and LSU - Pokey was HC but fired/resigned before the NCAA and the interim HC was a man Bob Starkey
2006 Sylvia, Pat, CViv twice and Gail
2005 Tara, BC - Cathy Inglese, CViv, Muffett, Pat, MSU - JPM, ASU - Joan Bonvicini, Sylvia
2004 Gail, Muffet, Harry Perretta, BC- Cathy
2003 Harry
2002 undefeated
2001 Muffet twice and Pat
2000 Pat
So as a full time head coach the answer is Harry Perretta in both 2003 and 2004, but as the HC on the sidelines in a game Bob Starkey in the elite 8 in 2007.

Strange that it has worked out that way, but really there haven't been many men coaching perennial powers since the turn of the century and only one other male NC coach - Gary Blair at TX A&M.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This was posted on the VolNation board - Who was the last male HC to beat Uconn before Vic - i did the research because it struck me both as odd and curious - especially give the pre-game question about gender in coaching. So ...
In the last ten years the teams to beat Uconn are Standford (3), ND (7), Baylor (2) and St John's (Barnes Arico 1) and Rutgers (1). So all women coaches.
Prior to that:
2007 add in Pat, Sylvia, CViv, and LSU - Pokey was HC but fired/resigned before the NCAA and the interim HC was a man Bob Starkey
2005 Tara, BC - Cathy Inglese, CViv, Muffett, Pat, MSU - JPM, ASU - Joan Bonvicini, Sylvia
2003 Harry
2002 undefeated
2000 Pat
So as a full time head coach the answer is Harry Perretta in both 2003 and 2004, but as the HC on the sidelines in a game Bob Starkey in the elite 8 in 2007.

Strange that it has worked out that way, but really there haven't been many men coaching perennial powers since the turn of the century and only one other male NC coach - Gary Blair at TX A&M.
If that was ASU you lost to, Charlie Turner Thorne. - still female, but Bonvincini was at Arizona.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If that was ASU you lost to, Charlie Turner Thorne. - still female, but Bonvincini was at Arizona.

It was Arizona State that UCONN lost to, Charli Turner-Thorne's team. UCONN has only played Arizona once and won that game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It was Arizona State that UCONN lost to, Charli Turner-Thorne's team. UCONN has only played Arizona once and won that game.
Thanks - you are correct - got the right school, but the HC search went wacky.

Reaction Score
Such awesome research.

The fact that female coaches really do dominate WCBB in terms of successful programs makes it even more puzzling and concerning that recently far more head coaching jobs are going to males than females.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Such awesome research.

The fact that female coaches really do dominate WCBB in terms of successful programs makes it even more puzzling and concerning that recently far more head coaching jobs are going to males than females.
Blame Geno! :eek::confused::cool:
Teams do try to emulate successful teams so while a joke, he is the most prominent coach of the best program ever created.
I think what has happened beyond everything else that has been discussed, is that there are fewer HC jobs in WCBB where the school and AD are adamant about hiring by gender (a woman.) It still exists I think some places, but more programs are actually looking at results based choices than quotes or PC or whatever you want to ascribe the motive to - and I am not implying hiring a male coach is results oriented, just that the decision is being made on what happens on the court and in the gym. Given that Muffet said her last assistant position drew a 70% male pool of applicatants and supposing they had an equal gender spread from weak to strong, her final list of interviews would likely be 7 men and 3 women, and the final choice between 5 candidates would be 3 males and 2 females or even 4 to 1 going just by numbers.

Reaction Score
Prior to that:
2003 Harry
2002 undefeated
2000 Pat

Harry Perretta--nice guy, terrible coaching style---I'll beat you with 3's and dribble with my back to you---yet he beat Geno--his pal.

almost tongue in cheek---with all those losses----wow!!
It appears Vic is a really great coach or an exceptional MAN ---or just showing his feminine side!!

Side note:; Great surfing and posting.. Also wasn't some male coach involved with the last St Johns
win over Uconn--or was that back too far or was he a part time coach???

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Harry Perretta--nice guy, terrible coaching style---I'll beat you with 3's and dribble with my back to you---yet he beat Geno--his pal.

almost tongue in cheek---with all those losses----wow!!
It appears Vic is a really great coach or an exceptional MAN ---or just showing his feminine side!!

Side note:; Great surfing and posting.. Also wasn't some male coach involved with the last St Johns
win over Uconn--or was that back too far or was he a part time coach???
Wasn't her assistant at St. John's her husband.
Harry, like Doug, has developed a style to compete in D1 basketball with the limitations of the players they have available. Mitchell at KY did the same with his 40 minutes of dread - for years he had no post presence but lots of pesky fast guards so they played full court trapping defense hoping to keep the ball from reaching opposing post players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom