So 2.5 months of speculating who the new coach will be | The Boneyard

So 2.5 months of speculating who the new coach will be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No one will be named new coach anytime in the next few days. It will be just after the season ends.

Upside for Uconn on doing this now is that they are #1 in line (USC is aiming so much higher on this that they are not even a factor).

Where do you go if you are WM? Current HC in FCS/lower level BCS that has a winning and dynamic profile? Problem with that coach, they use Uconn as a stepping stone job. Not that that is so bad since that means success at Uconn. Great successes and flame outs with that strategy (Kelly - both Brian and Chip - success and stepping stones; flame outs - London at UVA jumps right to mind).

Or do you go BCS assistant that has the drive and passion for recruiting and roll the dice on their ability to assemble a great staff around them.

I go with the up and comer head coach from a lower level. Start the focus on coaches like Ambrose, in the MAC and Sunbelt, etc. You have 75% of a season to watch them carefully and really hone in on 2 to 3 great candidates. Being first in line should pay dividends.

Worst case scenario - the interim head coach does a great job and is retained. I see UWV hiring Stewart as on of those great failures. Resist the temptation. Look at the history of elevating coordinators to HC within a program. Clean house.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Based on WM's prior history at Buffalo and with the way he handled the Kevin Ollie transition I think he'll hire outside of the program. All I really know is that I hope he doesn't hire a guy from his history... like the guy at Buffalo now though... or Turner Gil.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We have a jump on everyone and can float our opening (and salary potential) to any interested coordinator in the country that feels like they are stuck where they are at. I hope the next coach is offensive minded and we hire a good DC.

Reaction Score
We have a jump on everyone and can float our opening (and salary potential) to any interested coordinator in the country that feels like they are stuck where they are at. I hope the next coach is offensive minded and we hire a good DC.
They are dead end for a reason. See Stewart, Spaziani, Croker for prime examples of successful dead end coordinators that were elevated to a HC and failed spectatcularly.

There is something to be said for getting the guy you want, not guys that come banging on your door. Uconn needs to drive this process and not being fielding offers. They need to be targeting 2 to 3 prime candidates and be as aggressive as Calhoun was in BB getting their top choice. Maybe it is one of the guys banging on the door, but make sure you want him first.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Narduzzi and Schiano would excite me the most from this list of 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom