SNY reaches deal with Fox Sports, will continue carrying UConn women’s basketball games | The Boneyard

SNY reaches deal with Fox Sports, will continue carrying UConn women’s basketball games

Reaction Score
SNY reaches deal with Fox Sports, will continue carrying UConn women’s basketball games

>>This new, multi-year agreement, announced during UConn’s game against Cincinnati on Wednesday, will let SNY air up to 18 UConn women’s games a year, as well as pre- and post-game shows.<<

>>UConn men’s basketball does not appear to be part of the agreement, suggesting that team’s games will air exclusively on Fox properties.

Raab has expressed interest in SNY carrying UConn football games as well, but the sides have not yet announced an agreement.<<

Reaction Score
I don't think there would be any increased money coming to UConn from this deal. This is Fox selling rights they already had as a part of the Big East contract. UConn could get money from SNY for studio shows but unless there is some clause in the Big East TV contract about local sublicensees generating additional revenue from Fox to the school, there wouldn't be any reason for Fox or the league to send anything else UConn's way.

Football rights would be additional money.

Reaction Score
The ultimate irony would be home games produced in-house and watching them on the web for near zero revenue. Seems like time is ticking fast on a broadcast deal.

Reaction Score
The ultimate irony would be home games produced in-house and watching them on the web for near zero revenue. Seems like time is ticking fast on a broadcast deal.

Exactly why is time ticking fast? Our first game is in 6 months. Exactly how far in advance do you think it needs to be announced for any reason?

The sides are talking. Each wants the best deal, and the negotiations may drag on for a while while each side tries to get the best deal possible. But there is no reason to think it won't happen. Whatever the rights to our football games are worth (and it's not nearly as much as the numbers thrown around here), both SNY and UConn know they are worth more to SNY than to anyone else, and SNY knows UConn's only other option is ESPN internet only coverage.

Reaction Score
Can they also broadcast UConn baseball and ice hockey games on SNY?

I'm fairly certain our conference controls baseball TV rights. So starting next year that would be up to the Big East. That having b een said, there is not enough interest in UConn baseball that SNY would be interested, and if there was the conference would presumably give the rights to you in exchange for you picking up the tab at dinner.

Hockey is controlled by Hockey East. My guess is Hockey East would love coverage to extend into Metro NY, and you could buy the rights cheap, but again there are not enough people who want to watch to make it worthwhile.

UConn rights for SNY have two purposes. The primary one is to get SNY, and thus the Mets, into Connecticut, where they are totally overrun by Yankees and Red Sox fans. Having said that, however, Connecticut residents are a small part of SNY's overall customer market, and there needs to be some interest -- however minor -- in the rest of the market to really make it pay. Men's and women's basketball -- no problem. Football -- my guess is that it is probably only a moneymaker for SNY if they have baseketball coverage as well. Hockey and baseball -- no friggin way.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I don't think there would be any increased money coming to UConn from this deal. This is Fox selling rights they already had as a part of the Big East contract. UConn could get money from SNY for studio shows but unless there is some clause in the Big East TV contract about local sublicensees generating additional revenue from Fox to the school, there wouldn't be any reason for Fox or the league to send anything else UConn's way.

Football rights would be additional money.
Did they have them though? The Big East agreement says that the conference has limited rights to some WBB games. It's a jump to interpret that to mean that that includes all of UConn's WBB games.

(Disclaimer, I'm going from memory.)

Reaction Score
Exactly why is time ticking fast? Our first game is in 6 months. Exactly how far in advance do you think it needs to be announced for any reason?

The sides are talking. Each wants the best deal, and the negotiations may drag on for a while while each side tries to get the best deal possible. But there is no reason to think it won't happen. Whatever the rights to our football games are worth (and it's not nearly as much as the numbers thrown around here), both SNY and UConn know they are worth more to SNY than to anyone else, and SNY knows UConn's only other option is ESPN internet only coverage.
For precisely the optical reason you outline, time-passage favors SNY. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek. They actually do have other options through any number of online media platforms that at least offer some competitive counter pressure. You also have NESN (no Fairfield except through DirectTV). I have little faith in an organization that has consistently proven it has no clue how to manage its place in the media and CR landscape.

Reaction Score
Hockey is controlled by Hockey East. My guess is Hockey East would love coverage to extend into Metro NY, and you could buy the rights cheap, but again there are not enough people who want to watch to make it worthwhile.

Reaction Score
For precisely the optical reason you outline, time-passage favors SNY. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek. They actually do have other options through any number of online media platforms that at least offer some competitive counter pressure. You also have NESN (no Fairfield except through DirectTV). I have little faith in an organization that has consistently proven it has no clue how to manage its place in the media and CR landscape.

NESN doesn't need penetration into Connecticut (other than Fairfield County), and UConn football gets it zero penetration into Fairfield County. Yes, it could air the games but they aren't worth as much to them as they are to SNY. And if we don't cut a deal with SNY, some online media platform will be the answer, but the money won't be there.

So your view is you and I understand the dynamics here, but SNY may not so we should cut our deal with them quickly? Sorry -- that doesn't make sense to me.

Reaction Score
NESN doesn't need penetration into Connecticut (other than Fairfield County), and UConn football gets it zero penetration into Fairfield County. Yes, it could air the games but they aren't worth as much to them as they are to SNY. And if we don't cut a deal with SNY, some online media platform will be the answer, but the money won't be there.

So your view is you and I understand the dynamics here, but SNY may not so we should cut our deal with them quickly? Sorry -- that doesn't make sense to me.

We all know his view, it has been stated over and over and over again. It has nothing to do w/SNY or NESN.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Could Big Ten teams could pay for road games their teams play at the Rent, and put it on their network?
ACC NETWORK?

Reaction Score
Hence my avitar
Been there. Have the t-shirt.
UConn 6th borough t shirt.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain our conference controls baseball TV rights. So starting next year that would be up to the Big East. That having b een said, there is not enough interest in UConn baseball that SNY would be interested, and if there was the conference would presumably give the rights to you in exchange for you picking up the tab at dinner.

UConn rights for SNY have two purposes. The primary one is to get SNY, and thus the Mets, into Connecticut, where they are totally overrun by Yankees and Red Sox fans. Having said that, however, Connecticut residents are a small part of SNY's overall customer market, and there needs to be some interest -- however minor -- in the rest of the market to really make it pay. Men's and women's basketball -- no problem. Football -- my guess is that it is probably only a moneymaker for SNY if they have baseketball coverage as well. Hockey and baseball -- no friggin way.

NESN is broadcasting Hockey East, I'm not so certain SNY wouldn't be interested as well.. Didn't they televise the CT Ice tourney?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom