SNY and the Oklahoma game? | The Boneyard

SNY and the Oklahoma game?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I know it is being broadcast by CBSSports. I do not trust them to appropriately
recognize the importance of the game...in terms of former UConn players being there and
on other issues that UConn fans would love to see.

How about SNY going on air for the 30 minutes prior to the game and 30 minutes afterwards to go into some detail.. interviews with former players....thoughts of CD and Geno....clips from past historic games etc.

I believe when the Red Sox are in the playoffs NESN will do that even when the games themselves are carried by somebody else.

Reaction Score
I would expect there will be coverage on ESPN - both on SportsCenter, but hopefully more detail on ESPNNews.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It may seem like a foregone conclusion that the night at Mohegan Sun will end in a victory for the Huskies, but planning a half hour show on either side of it, warranted only by victory, seems like a big insult to the Mojo gods and Oklahoma. Filming for a celebratory show for later broadcast would be cool and I would expect SNY to do that for All Access or Geno Show or both.

Reaction Score
recognize the importance of the game...in terms of former UConn players being there and

How about SNY going on air for the 30 minutes prior to the game and 30 minutes afterwards to go into some detail.. interviews with former players....thoughts of CD and Geno....clips from past historic games etc.

I believe when the Red Sox are in the playoffs NESN will do that even when the games themselves are carried by somebody else.
Blake, the announcers at the Nevada game 11/28 were mentioning the 1000th victory could be against Ok in three weeks on their network. They are fully aware of what is happening

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Blake, your concept has merit. The CBS Sports Network may not have the partnership agreement, or working relationship with UConn and it's athletic program to present this monumental event and do it justice. I agree with your proposal. SNY has an investment in this university, and is more closely aligned with it. It can produce pre and post-game pieces and interviews to mark this occasion that CBS Sports will not.

Would the local audience be more comfortable with Eric, Meghan and Justine, or two strangers randomly assigned to do the game? Present and memorialize this game the way it should be. You only get one change to get this right. I'm sure the event staff at UConn has already planned something for that evening. It would be nice if the TV audience could be a part of it as well.

CBS Sports has the broadcasting rights to this game, but does that preclude SNY from being present and provide pre and post game coverage to it's audience?
This once in a lifetime event/celebration should be done and captured in the spirit of the moment. Once that moment is gone, it's gone. SNY can step up and fill in the gaps with vintage and live interviews and clips of former players/coaches and game clips that CBS does not have access to, and cannot possibly duplicate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Not 100% sure about this but CBS can prevent other networks from broadcasting anything related to this game.
Blake, your concept has merit. The CBS Sports Network may not have the partnership agreement, or working relationship with UConn and it's athletic program to present this monumental event and do it justice. I agree with your proposal. SNY has an investment in this university, and is more closely aligned with it. It can produce pre and post-game pieces and interviews to mark this occasion that CBS Sports will not.

Would the local audience be more comfortable with Eric, Meghan and Justine, or two strangers randomly assigned to do the game? Present and memorialize this game the way it should be. You only get one change to get this right. I'm sure the event staff at UConn has already planned something for that evening. It would be nice if the TV audience could be a part of it as well.

CBS Sports has the broadcasting rights to this game, but that does not preclude SNY from being present and provide pre and post game coverage to it's audience.
This once in a lifetime event/celebration should be done and captured in the spirit of the moment. Once that moment is gone, it's gone. SNY can step up and fill in the gaps with vintage and live interviews and clips of former players/coaches and game clips that CBS does not have access to, and cannot possibly duplicate.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not 100% sure about this but CBS can prevent other networks from broadcasting anything related to this game.

Even if this coverage is done from their studios in NY, or interviews after CBS has signed off and terminated coverage after the game?

Reaction Score
Even if this coverage is done from their studios in NY, or interviews after CBS has signed off and terminated coverage after the game?
I would think once CBS signs off you could do it. But I don't think they allow other network cameras/interviews during pre or post game. Maybe only local news sports reporters . Not really sure

Reaction Score
We will be lucky if we get the whole game. CBS always runs late. The game before ours will take 15 minutes to play the last 2, and then directly after our game they will need to cut to whatever men's game follows. Somehow CBS ends up with these big games - remember Stef and Bria's senior day?

Carnac

Reaction Score
We will be lucky if we get the whole game. CBS always runs late. The game before ours will take 15 minutes to play the last 2, and then directly after our game they will need to cut to whatever men's game follows. Somehow CBS ends up with these big games - remember Stef and Bria's senior day?

THIS is the one game that SNY should have been able to cover. Who decides which networks cover what games? Does ESPN, FS1, and CBS Sports get their pick of the games they want to broadcast, and SNY gets the "left overs" ? :confused: If anyone knows, I would sure like to be enlightened.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
There is no live event/game on before the bball game, so no need to worry about missing the start of the game.

And it is really, really weird about which network has the TV rights. CBSSN is also scheduled to broadcast the Temple vs UConn game from the XL Center and not SNY or ESPN. ESPN has the rights to the AAC games so maybe it is a misprint on the schedule...

Reaction Score
THIS is the one game that SNY should have been able to cover. Who decides which networks cover what games? Does ESPN, FS1, and CBS Sports get their pick of the games they want to broadcast, and SNY gets the "left overs" ? :confused: If anyone knows, I would sure like to be enlightened.
Yeah that's how it works. ESPN gets first pick, followed by CBS, not sure where FS1 fits in since this is the first year I can remember them covering a game, and finally SNY gets whatever is left. It's why SNY was mad when we joined the AAC which meant the new conference's deal with ESPN superseded whatever deal UConn had in place with SNY. I'd be happy if every game was on SNY, as I'm sure they would. Eventually we're going to get to a point where there is no SNY coverage until conference play begins.

Reaction Score

I expect a full crazy crowd and $1,000 Geno dollar bill at the end of the games along with a sale of T-Shirt "1000 wins" like Uconn did when they won their "`100" game streak last year!

Centerstream

Reaction Score
ESPN has the rights to AAC games and NCAA Tournament games, Fox (FS1) has the rights to Big East games and I have no idea who CBS may have the rights to but maybe the Big 12? And of course there is the SEC Network, PAC 12 and ACC Network that also have rights to their respective conference games

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here, just pretend they are saying 1000 instead of 900 ... Let's face it, this last 100 have flown by ... well 99 and counting:

Reaction Score
Cripes. My local sports bar no longer carries CBS Sports. I found another place and it was pretty rough, not to mention full of smokers. Guess I'd better start looking for another sports bar.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
It happens a lot on ESPN also.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
It happens a lot on ESPN also.
And for most every other sport ESPN will start the broadcast on ESPN News but not a sure thing for WBB.

Reaction Score
ESPN has the rights to AAC games and NCAA Tournament games, Fox (FS1) has the rights to Big East games and I have no idea who CBS may have the rights to but maybe the Big 12? And of course there is the SEC Network, PAC 12 and ACC Network that also have rights to their respective conference games
ESPN has first pick and usually picks up 9 UConn games per season. CBS gets second pick and usually picks up 2 UConn games per season. Fox having rights to the Big East explains why the DePaul game was on there because the rights go to the home team, so had the DePaul game been at XL or Hartford it would have been on SNY. Poor SNY gets the last pick so usually just the crappy games which amounts to about 18 games that aren't picked up by national networks. Of course every other WCBB program would love our problem of having multiple networks all vying to televise our games.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
And for most every other sport ESPN will start the broadcast on ESPN News but not a sure thing for WBB.
It happened last week with the Texas-Tenn game.

Reaction Score
It may seem like a foregone conclusion that the night at Mohegan Sun will end in a victory for the Huskies, but planning a half hour show on either side of it, warranted only by victory, seems like a big insult to the Mojo gods and Oklahoma. Filming for a celebratory show for later broadcast would be cool and I would expect SNY to do that for All Access or Geno Show or both.

Thank you---I'm sure that on sports shows on any network should Uconn win--you will see the 1000th celebration with associated sports names and former Uconn's. As you stated: it is near foolhard to schedule a celebration prior and post game--what if it does not happen.

I'm and OKLA fan and Sherri fan--it would be insulting to have them slated as a loss prior to the game. But, based on past actions this year--Uconn must be the overwhelming favorite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom