OT: Snow shovels? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Snow shovels?

Reaction Score
OK I'm trying to get ahead of the snow this winter. I lost a few friends who died after shoveling snow. I don't have a garage so I have no place to store a snow blower. When I shovel I'm paranoid about overdoing it. I've got a corner lot, meaning a lot of sidewalk and a 4 car driveway. I'm not young, and getting tired of waiting for the high school kids to knock on my door. I'm usually the last knock, because I'm cheap.

I've been using the conventional snow shovels but I've been seeing some different models that look intriguing. Just curious does anyone use a non-conventional shovel?

This is one:

71ab6pm-5sL._SL1500_.jpg

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Why do you shovel the sidewalks? Is there a Town ordinance in place stating you must? Or were you told you had to? Check those ordinances. You may be wasting your time.
It is a town ordinance in Manchester where I live. Sidewalk is considered homeowners responsibility and property in most cases. If you don’t shovel sidewalks who will?

Reaction Score
Find a neighbor with a garage and offer to do their driveway if they’ll store your snowblower.
I should have mentioned that aside from being old(er) I'm also kind of lazy. It would then be an offer I would often refuse.

I have thought about cost sharing, not sure how that would work. I've got the largest section on the block (2x).

Reaction Score
Why do you shovel the sidewalks? Is there a Town ordinance in place stating you must? Or were you told you had to? Check those ordinances. You may be wasting your time.
Yeah. To my chagrin the town laid one down in my front yard 10 years ago. My side does not have one. My mailman also left me a threatening message many years ago, although I think that was more for ice. They also didn't want schoolchildren walking in there street.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
All of you:

Pay a guy with a pickup and a plow to clear your driveway.

There’s no way shoveling the driveway is an economical use of your time.

I’m sure it’s no more than $25-40 a storm.

Reaction Score
All of you: Pay a guy with a pickup and a plow to clear your driveway. There’s no way shoveling the driveway is an economical use of your time. I’m sure it’s no more than $25-40 a storm.
And, likely less costly (time & dinero) than a heart attack, spinal fusion, etc.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I should have mentioned that aside from being old(er) I'm also kind of lazy. It would then be an offer I would often refuse.

I have thought about cost sharing, not sure how that would work. I've got the largest section on the block (2x).

Plan B: Fake an injury and hope your neighbors take pity on you, and shovel your property. It’ll mean crutches for the winter, but I have a feeling you have no problem moving slowly, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Plan C: Find a neighborhood kid who is in trouble. Ask his parents if they’d like to give him an opportunity to take on a little responsibility. He won’t likely do a good job, but he’ll be cheap.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It is a town ordinance in Manchester where I live. Sidewalk is considered homeowners responsibility and property in most cases. If you don’t shovel sidewalks who will?
I don't know a suburb where that is not the case.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You don't need a garage to own a snow blower. Throw a tarp over it and tie it down. The machine is meant to get wet.

That’s the best option. Home Depot and a Lowe’s sells garden sheds that would be perfect. Many options for around $100.

As to snow blowers - I see snow blowers at estate auctions all the time. Most go for well under $100.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That’s the best option. Home Depot and a Lowe’s sells garden sheds that would be perfect. Many options for around $100.

As to snow blowers - I see snow blowers at estate auctions all the time. Most go for well under $100.
OTOH, being self-proclaimed, "cheap" and "lazy" are excuses that will upstage any solution, no matter how reasonable.

Reaction Score
All of you:

I had my driveway plowed for 25 years. After each big storm I would be still out there shoveling in front of the garage and walks for an hour to "clean up". In the spring I have to pick up the turf that has been ripped from my lawn and plant new grass, and that's even with driveway stakes. A snowblower is fun to use and does a neat and clean job, without waiting for the plow guy to show up. They come too early, too late half the time too. No contest but get a good one.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I had my driveway plowed for 25 years. After each big storm I would be still out there shoveling in front of the garage and walks for an hour to "clean up". In the spring I have to pick up the turf that has been ripped from my lawn and plant new grass, and that's even with driveway stakes. A snowblower is fun to use and does a neat and clean job, without waiting for the plow guy to show up. They come too early, too late half the time too. No contest but get a good one.
As long as I am able, I will snow blow my own driveway (and help those who need it). Alas that may change this winter if my house does not sell. I am not shuttling my snowblower from one to the other. For one thing, I don't know if I'd be able to fit it in the back of my SUV, even with handles collapsed and shoot removed. I may be forced to get a plow service for one of the properties.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All of you:

The new guy that moved in across the street 2 autumns ago had a plow on his truck so we asked him if he would do our driveway. He's happy to do it, well worth the $35.

Reaction Score
Talk about burying the lede. More than one friend of yours died shoveling snow?
Yeah they were in their 40s, in good shape and certainly not overweight. At least 3 friends and I know of a couple of other men. My friends shoveled like madmen very fast and aggressive. They then went inside laid down and never woke up. Heart attacks. I know that they smoked pot and one did cocaine, which I'm sure were contributing factors.

Nonetheless its a real thing for all to all of us to keep in mind.

Now when I shovel I take little bits (takes longer) especially the wet stuff. I'm so paranoid that when I come in I never lay down.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just bought the 24" SHO. 369 cc. Itching to let er rip. (Sorry for mini hijack).

I just bought a 28" SHO. To be delivered this week. My old 24' Ariens had some problems, and the repair time was 6 weeks out. Anybody want my 24"? I am sure it can be fixed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
All of you:

My neighbor had a quote two weeks ago that ranged from $40-60 per storm, depending on depth. And he would come twice and charge twice for more than 12". A typical winter here in suburban Boston could easily cost as much as a new snowblower. My old one lasted 14 years. The curve of my driveway plus my fence means it can't be plowed anyway. No place to put the snow.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
My summer lawn guys automatically show up and clear the sidewalk and driveway. Fee is based upon number of snow inches.

I don't do any of that crap.

Reaction Score
What about the freeze?
Inside many garages and leaky sheds, how many snow blowers don't survive freezing? Living briefly in the upper midwest, worst case those electrified oil dipsticks did wonders for cars, snowmobiles, and ... even snow blowers!

You could even buy snow blower hand warmers for your poorly circulating cool paws. Or, go bat sh|t crazy investing in an outdoor radiant heated driveway and sidewalks. Cost shouldn't matter, you wanted solutions without a heart attack. ;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
What about the freeze?
If you clean the machine of snow and water, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Failing that, I've seen where a hair dryer or space heater (careful not to melt the tarp) are useful.

Personally, I would build a small shed right off the driveway in your situation, like the one in @Milo65 's link. It takes some what-to, but just think of the regret you may have at the end of January after the second or third nor'easter.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Considering the amount of snow the NE is gotten the last couple of years, you are talking shovels? My brother lives in Waterbury and said last year his house was an igloo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom