SNL skit about UCONN | The Boneyard

SNL skit about UCONN

Reaction Score
So not funny. Not because of the negative UCONN connotation, but the writing just doesn't make it, plus the repetitive nature of the gags goes on too long. This show has really degraded from it's early days. I'm surprised it's still on.

Reaction Score
I thought it was mildly amusing but agree it went on too long. Nothing really negative about UConn, just generic college ideas - wonder why they chose UConn -if somebody there is a grad. SNL humor has always been very hit and miss.

Reaction Score
So not funny. Not because of the negative UCONN connotation, but the writing just doesn't make it, plus the repetitive nature of the gags goes on too long. This show has really degraded from it's early days. I'm surprised it's still on.
Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer is one of the funniest skits I've probably ever seen on the show.

Reaction Score
I thought it was mildly amusing but agree it went on too long. Nothing really negative about UConn, just generic college ideas - wonder why they chose UConn -if somebody there is a grad. SNL humor has always been very hit and miss.
Bobby Moynihan is a cast member from UConn.

Reaction Score
True, SNL lacks the charismatic players of the original couple of decades, but:
1. it's incredibly hard to put on a weekly humor program with even success.
2. the media have moved on. Live TV has massive competition and a lot of talent has gravitated to more entrepreneurial opportunities, like individual podcasts and shows on YouTube.

As to using UConn as the punching bag: lighten up, folks. UConn is sort of the "new NYU." NYU used to be considered kind of joke, an almost university--but certainly not anymore. And UConn, if it can continue to be lucky with state support, will quickly move up in peoples' estimation. But in the end, it doesn't matter what others think of your university, because it ain't where you're taught, it's what you're taught.

Reaction Score
I really have had a hard time understanding the point of SNL skits since the greats left. For over a decade when and if I watch I sit there wondering how this show can still be on the air. I hope the University has reached out and spoken with them about this.
Also, they make UCONN out to be some sort of Party school.... and while I do recall a few awesome "get togethers" I have a hard time believing that UCONN is as bad as they want to make it look.

Really disappointed in SNL for their lack of comedy, and their use of UCONN in this.

Reaction Score
Consider it a backhanded compliment. If your t-shirt makes a sketch you're trending and they noticed. The knock on the writing? Has there ever been a time when people weren't upset that it or the cast isn't as good as it was last year or the year before back in the day when they were really funny? And almost no one liked the first year or two of the show when they aired. When you think about it, Lorne Michaels is a lot like Geno, usually gets the best from the cast, cranks out a steady stream of stars, and for every person who, "gets it" there's twenty who don't.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah these skits are mostly hit or miss. This is a miss although all in all a pretty tepid gag. The use of UConn seems an after thought.

Reaction Score
time to hijack this thread. . . . . lets hear your best college drinking stories
Hard to narrow that massive list down to just one particular story. Here's one: Went to a party with my best bud. He got wasted and disappeared. When I looked for him later, I found him in the men's room, passed out, with his head in the urinal.

Not saying it's all that funny, just something that will make a lot of people say, "Pretty sure I knew that guy, too."

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Speaking as a UConn alum, I was bothered by only one thing about this skit: would any student really call it "North quad" instead of "the Jungle"?!

Reaction Score
SNL sucks and, yes, there were casts that were better than the original. In fact, there was a long string of good years (86-96) with people ranging from Piscopo and Murphy to Crystal and Dreyfus to the golden years of Miller, Lovitz, Carvey, Hartman, Nealon and Meyers which overlapped with another great crew of Rock, Farley, Schneider, Spade and Sandler. And the writers, while a little political, were not total political hacks creating "fake news". I guess it isn't their fault that dumb viewers think the skits are actual recreations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Terrible, just plain a terrible skit. This cast is a bunch of 2nd rate amateurs. Save for the guest stars, SNL has devolved into mostly mindless garbage!

Reaction Score
Speaking as a UConn alum, I was bothered by only one thing about this skit: would any student really call it "North quad" instead of "the Jungle"?!
students for over a decade only know it as North Campus. Administration has long buried all Jungle references.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
students for over a decade only know it as North Campus. Administration has long buried all Jungle references.
Appreciate the info. And in any event, that's probably for the best.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I really have had a hard time understanding the point of SNL skits since the greats left. For over a decade when and if I watch I sit there wondering how this show can still be on the air. I hope the University has reached out and spoken with them about this.
If they did it was probably to thank them. It got UCONN trending a little. Lobo even tweeted about it.

Also, they make UCONN out to be some sort of Party school.... and while I do recall a few awesome "get togethers" I have a hard time believing that UCONN is as bad as they want to make it look.
Actually I think it made UCONN look a little lame on the party front. "Dry Friday's"?? I'm sure that's what college kids are looking forward to. Although it was free pizza, might be worth stopping in for. :cool:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I was fooled by the OP's wording superimposed on the photo from the video.

I thought the skit was going to be about how UConn was managing a dry year in which the women didn't win the national championship.

Reaction Score
SNL has always kind have been generational. There is alot of millenials who thinks these casts are far funnier than the previous 80s or 90s crews. SNL has this ability to change itself to fit modern young comedy. That's a good thing I think. I personally think its been as good as its been in years and the best its been since Wiig left.

Always fun to see UConn get a pop culture mention though regardless.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Once again UConn is getting media coverage with no mention of women's basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom