Snippet from latest Deseret News article on BYU, which if true, is devastating to UCONN | The Boneyard

Snippet from latest Deseret News article on BYU, which if true, is devastating to UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-Cougars-Big-East-haggling-over-TV-deals.html

""BYU was insisting on two things that would never be agreed to by the Big East: (1) BYU wanted to retain the television rights to all BYU home games, and (2) BYU wanted the ability to leave and take all its television rights with them if the Big East lost AQ status, even if the Big East lost it because AQ status was eliminated," the source told the Deseret News.""

_________

If the second condition is to be believed, (the Big East gets to keep the media rights), this is completely new. So far, the only discussion concerning an exit fee has been the increase to $10m if one of the academies join. Plus the 27 month clause.

Granting media rights to this experiment is not sound.

Reaction Score
A little bit dramatic are we?

Perhaps, if I'm reading that particular clause incorrectly. Does it mean that if BYU joins, but later decides to leave, that its media rights remain only if the reason for leaving is the loss of AQ status? The problem is, the motive for departure should not impact media rights, only exit period.

But if it means what it looks like it means, no, not dramatic at all. There has been no discussion of granting media rights. That is muy biggo.

Reaction Score
Not devastating at all. BYU joining the Big East makes both sides much better off. The two sides are just arguing over their respective share of the spoils. BYU knows the Big East won't agree to everything they are asking for and the Big East knows it's not really all that interested in SD State. Both sides are posturing, but this thing will get done.

Reaction Score
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-Cougars-Big-East-haggling-over-TV-deals.html

""BYU was insisting on two things that would never be agreed to by the Big East: (1) BYU wanted to retain the television rights to all BYU home games, and (2) BYU wanted the ability to leave and take all its television rights with them if the Big East lost AQ status, even if the Big East lost it because AQ status was eliminated," the source told the Deseret News.""

_________

If the second condition is to be believed, (the Big East gets to keep the media rights), this is completely new. So far, the only discussion concerning an exit fee has been the increase to $10m if one of the academies join. Plus the 27 month clause.

Jim Calhoun will mow Geno's front lawn before BYU joins the Big East or what's left of it. I mean you've got John Marinatto wearing a clown suit performing for small groups at various western colleges and with that UCONN needs to distance itself as far as possible from that joke parade until they get an invite or announce they are going independent.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How is this devastating to UConn? We won't be in the NBE either. This thing is so hokey I really have a hard time believing it will ever come together.

Reaction Score
BYU is irrelevant in what the poster is saying. He's saying Marinatto is requiring media rights.

If true, that would be devastating to UConn.

If true, it would also mean Marinatto is actively trying to submarine the conference, just like the expansion chair is.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If UConn sports ever ends up being dependant on BYU for anything, I quit.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
BYU is irrelevant in what the poster is saying. He's saying Marinatto is requiring media rights.

If true, that would be devastating to UConn.

If true, it would also mean Marinatto is actively trying to submarine the conference, just like the expansion chair is.

Or you could argue he's trying to save it. Isn't that what some have been pushing for, making every school go "all in". I agree, nobody will. Which does nothing but illuminate the fact that this thing isn't built to last.

Reaction Score
Or you could argue he's trying to save it. Isn't that what some have been pushing for, making every school go "all in". I agree, nobody will. Which does nothing but illuminate the fact that this thing isn't built to last.

Knowing that schools won't sign up for something as ridiculous as what he suggests, why would he push for it?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Knowing that schools won't sign up for something as ridiculous as what he suggests, why would he push for it?

Because anything less will be the death of the conference as well, as the various members are continuously poached.

Reaction Score
Because anything less will be the death of the conference as well, as the various members are continuously poached.

Obviously, BYU isn't clamoring to give up media rights, so it's pretty evident that the new schools don't like this idiotic policy either.

You're telling me BYU, SMU, Houston, etc., won't come unless everyone gives up media rights? I call baloney on that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Obviously, BYU isn't clamoring to give up media rights, so it's pretty evident that the new schools don't like this idiotic policy either.

You're telling me BYU, SMU, Houston, etc., won't come unless everyone gives up media rights? I call baloney on that.

Oh I think they will come. I don't think they want to give up media rights. And I think various schools will then leave, and the conference will likely fall apart within a couple of years. I think you need to not have a media rights clause to attract teams like BYU and Boise, and yet without one, I think the NBE will collapse.

UCF, SMU and Houston want in anyway, and with all sports involved, they have an upgrade for other sports. But Boise and BYU are clearly better off where they are except for gaining AQ status.

Reaction Score
Oh I think they will come. I don't think they want to give up media rights. And I think various schools will then leave, and the conference will likely fall apart within a couple of years. I think you need to not have a media rights clause to attract teams like BYU and Boise, and yet without one, I think the NBE will collapse.

UCF, SMU and Houston want in anyway, and with all sports involved, they have an upgrade for other sports. But Boise and BYU are clearly better off where they are except for gaining AQ status.

This is not a long-term affair for UConn. In the end, this league won't get the media money needed to compete. This is a stopgap measure. There is no way to compete against schools making $20 million more than you.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is so much stupidity in this thread it annoys me to be a UConn

_________

Basically BYU is saying they only want to join the Big East for the AQ bid. If it is every team for themselves, they would just as soon be independent. Not a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom