Sneaky-Good Recruiting Class | The Boneyard

Sneaky-Good Recruiting Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Daniels, Nolan and Calhoun. Another UConn class that flies somewhat under-the-radar, but at the end of the year, is very, very solid. UConn has done this a couple of times before (usually with back-end Top 100 guys, hence SOMEWHAT under-the-radar) and down the line it always leads to big things.

When is the last time an entire incoming class made such strides over a year?

Evans has also been good in flashes. Nobody outside the locker room can accurately speak to what he's added from an experience or leadership standpoint, but I imagine it has helped.

Reaction Score
75587_10151368296022886_812223610_n.png

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
The fact that Daniels barely played last year makes it even more amazing.....great to see him live up to the hype.

So glad he stuck it out with the team. I could have seen the possibility of transferring after last season (like a couple of them) due to his lack of playing time, etc.... But it is working out and he is becoming a very good player.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Deandre has clearly been working on his jump shot, he's starting to make everything from the outside, even when contested. He's also getting stronger, starting to finish through contact inside. This kid is gonna average 20 PPG next year, once he cleans up a few things he'll be really tough to defend. And the best part? He's an unselfish guy who isn't afraid to mix it up inside defensively. This kid is gonna be a monster next year; I can't wait to see this team get a shot at the NCAAs with the talent we'll have next year and the hunger of being denied from the tourney this year. It could be something very special.

Reaction Score
Rivals Class of 2011:
Deandre Daniels - #10
Otto Porter - #37

Daniels turns 21 in April, Porter turns 20 in June.

Reaction Score
Honestly I was so high on Daniels when he came in last year and then so low. He really surprised me this year and I'm really happy for him. He had 20 points last night before bazz and boat got going, kept us in the game. Gtown was nailing every 3 and at one point I thought we were toast but he came up huge for us.

I think he's a 4 year player for us and could be talking huskie of honor before all is said and done.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Rivals Class of 2011:
Deandre Daniels - #10
Otto Porter - #37

I like both players but DD has a much better ability to create for himself and OP is more consistent with his shot. IMO DD will surpass OP when DD gains the same confidence about himself that OP has.

Reaction Score
Daniels could have has 30 if our guards didn't look him off in crucial moments. So many screens where dd faded off and was wide open.
Calhoun is player, the guys motor never stops . He's on the glass, in the passing lanes, taking it to the rack. Most importantly he learns from his mistakes, highly coachable. I feel like Ollie barks at him the most out of anyone.

Reaction Score
I like both players but DD has a much better ability to create for himself and OP is more consistent with his shot. IMO DD will surpass OP when DD gains the same confidence about himself that OP has.

Otto Porter's going to be a 1st team All-American. That's a lofty standard.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Otto Porter's going to be a 1st team All-American. That's a lofty standard.
Last year was essentially a non year for DD. He was behind too many players and his sisters illness was too much of a distraction. So essentially this season was DD's freshman season.

What I've seen is the steady progression he's made this season. Not always linear, but certainly over the season a great improvement, all the while being asked to play out of position.

It all depends on the mental makeup of DD and that is still an unknown, but if this game was any indication, DD can do more things than OP. For one thing he has a much better handle. OP can make contested shots better than DD by far. But I thinks it is more the result of confidence than anything physical.

Reaction Score
Nolan will be a nice player next year. He's not incredible yet, might never be. I'd rather him get the min over TO for the last few games, see what we have in him.

Reaction Score
Rivals Class of 2011:
Deandre Daniels - #10
Otto Porter - #37

Those ranking mean squat. Otto didnt play AAU basketball so a lot of people overlooked him and didnt rank him highly because he wasnt playing against "the best".

Otto is a complete player. Reminds me of Caron Butler a little except not as good defensively.

Reaction Score
Daniels is a sophomore and the most talented player on our team, he's going to be a beast next year. Even Otto Porter was saying Daniels is a hell of a player after the game.

Sticks has practiced with the team a few times, along with Tony Robertson and Taliek Brown, and Sticks usually matches up against DD.

Told me Daniels has sick game and is extremely good and loves his laid back, slow it down style of play like Brandon Roy.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, if DD gets stronger, he will be tough. He protects the ball by cradling it on drives now.

Reaction Score
Those ranking mean squat. Otto didnt play AAU basketball so a lot of people overlooked him and didnt rank him highly because he wasnt playing against "the best".

Otto is a complete player. Reminds me of Caron Butler a little except not as good defensively.
Otto couldn't hold Caron's jock. You did give me a good laugh though.

Reaction Score

Really? Porter is a really nice all around player. Very Jeff Green like. He boards, handles, passes, etc. Deandre has had some really nice games for us, but he is a bit of a black hole offensively and he can be extremely turnover prone. He's nowhere near as good as Porter is right now and Porter will be even better when he's in a more free flowing offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom