SMU's Punishment and North Carolina | The Boneyard

SMU's Punishment and North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I admit to being in the dark on this but SMU and Syracuse missed a tournament (as did we) and the North Carolina case has been hanging out there seemingly forever. They haven't taken themselves out of the tourney and they continue to recruit top players, while Roy says 'aw shucks', what gives?

Reaction Score
I admit to being in the dark on this but SMU and Syracuse missed a tournament (as did we) and the North Carolina case has been hanging out there seemingly forever. They haven't taken themselves out of the tourney and they continue to recruit top players, while Roy says 'aw shucks', what gives?

Syracuse missed the tourney the same way I missed the party at Hugh Hefner's.

Reaction Score
I haven't followed the story as closely as others because it is no good for my blood pressure, but my recollection is that it was announced a couple months ago that it was unlikely anything major would come of it. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comparing the Syracuse and SMU situations is more interesting because of the terms on which the punishments were served. Syracuse got to do it on their timeline, SMU was leveled with the death blow at the cruelest time possible. Although there are details I don't know from both cases, on the surface it does little to quell the boiling suspicion among non-P5 schools that they are judged with a different hand.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Syracuse missed the tourney the same way I missed the party at Hugh Hefner's.

images

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Syracuse got to self-impose a ban in a year they weren't going anyways. SMU was what like 25-4? We had a decent resume when we were kept out. There are different rules.

Reaction Score
I have an insane unc coworker who thinks unc will get a slap on the wrist.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have an insane unc coworker who thinks unc will get a slap on the wrist.

I don't think he's insane at all. I'll be surprised if they get hit with anything meaningful.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
SMU and UConn, along numerous other schools ought to sue the crap out of the NCAA
BUT the questions are: will it do anything? is it realistic?
Me thinks NOT
The NCAA is pure BS

Reaction Score
What will really get you cranked up is what the actual differences are in the allegations. I'm paraphrasing and this may not be totally accurate but:

Syracuse - Fab Melo received improper coursework assistance. Local YMCA gives some players jobs. Not sure what else but I'm sure there's more to it. Allowed to self ban in a season where they weren't making the tourney anyway and then the following season the committee takes into account Boeheim's suspension to let them into the tournament with 18 wins and a 70+ RPI.

SMU - Academic fraud with secretaries and assistant coaches taking exams, Larry Brown lies about it or at minimum obstructs the investigation and they get spanked.

UNC - Offers paper classes in AFAM program which include grade manipulation and all kinds of other academic fraud between 1992 and 2011 in order to keep athletes eligible. There were no actual classes, no interaction with faculty and one paper to be written that was automatically given high grades without even being read by anyone. Men's basketball players account for 12% of the students taking the paper classes. There were 229 enrollments in the paper classes by men's basketball players between 1999-2009. Players enrolled in the paper classes by coach: Dean Smith - 54, Bill Guthridge - 17, Matt Doherty - 42, Roy Williams - 167! (dadgummit)
2003-04 - five of the fifteen members of the basketball team are majoring in AFAM. 2005 - ten of the fifteen members of the basketball team are majoring in AFAM. These guys weren't just taking these classes to help boost GPA in other majors, they were actually majoring in them. If you really want to get good and pissed off read this link: http://3qh929iorux3fdpl532k03kg.wpe...-content/uploads/2014/10/UNC-FINAL-REPORT.pdf . This is the university's own internal investigation and it is probably harder on them than the NCAA will be. The football team was easily 10 times worse and women's basketball was pretty involved as well. These classes kept players eligible who otherwise might not have been. When you look at the scope of it, it is actually worse than anything Calipari and Larry Brown have done (or at least been caught doing) put together.

If their athletic programs are not sanctioned or punished in some way, pretty hard, it would be so blatantly obvious that the NCAA is favoring and protecting their P5 conferences. I'm guessing one of the reasons this has taken so long is that they are trying to figure out how to sell the nonsense they are coming up with to the general public to control the outrage. I thought they would try to get this out of the way during the summer, before the football and basketball seasons start. Maybe I'll be wrong and they will spank them hard in the fall when it really hurts, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
It's completely full of snow. Consider how they even retracted some of Penn State's punishment.

SMU should have kept Larry Brown, though.

Reaction Score
What will really get you cranked up is what the actual differences are in the allegations. I'm paraphrasing and this may not be totally accurate but:

Syracuse - Fab Melo received improper coursework assistance. Local YMCA gives some players jobs. Not sure what else but I'm sure there's more to it. Allowed to self ban in a season where they weren't making the tourney anyway and then the following season the committee takes into account Boeheim's suspension to let them into the tournament with 18 wins and a 70+ RPI.

SMU - Academic fraud with secretaries and assistant coaches taking exams, Larry Brown lies about it or at minimum obstructs the investigation and they get spanked.

UNC - Offers paper classes in AFAM program which include grade manipulation and all kinds of other academic fraud between 1992 and 2011 in order to keep athletes eligible. There were no actual classes, no interaction with faculty and one paper to be written that was automatically given high grades without even being read by anyone. Men's basketball players account for 12% of the students taking the paper classes. There were 229 enrollments in the paper classes by men's basketball players between 1999-2009. Players enrolled in the paper classes by coach: Dean Smith - 54, Bill Guthridge - 17, Matt Doherty - 42, Roy Williams - 167! (dadgummit)
2003-04 - five of the fifteen members of the basketball team are majoring in AFAM. 2005 - ten of the fifteen members of the basketball team are majoring in AFAM. These guys weren't just taking these classes to help boost GPA in other majors, they were actually majoring in them. If you really want to get good and pissed off read this link: http://3qh929iorux3fdpl532k03kg.wpe...-content/uploads/2014/10/UNC-FINAL-REPORT.pdf . This is the university's own internal investigation and it is probably harder on them than the NCAA will be. The football team was easily 10 times worse and women's basketball was pretty involved as well. These classes kept players eligible who otherwise might not have been. When you look at the scope of it, it is actually worse than anything Calipari and Larry Brown have done (or at least been caught doing) put together.

If their athletic programs are not sanctioned or punished in some way, pretty hard, it would be so blatantly obvious that the NCAA is favoring and protecting their P5 conferences. I'm guessing one of the reasons this has taken so long is that they are trying to figure out how to sell the nonsense they are coming up with to the general public to control the outrage. I thought they would try to get this out of the way during the summer, before the football and basketball seasons start. Maybe I'll be wrong and they will spank them hard in the fall when it really hurts, but I doubt it.
80's thanks for this great summary particularly of UNC. Almost seems impossible for them not to get hammered. If you figure the team effect on team GPA and eligible players, tourney, and recruiting, what they did was worse by far than us or SMU or Cuse.

Reaction Score
UNC football and women's basketball took one for the men's basketball program...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
To me, the worst part with Cuse was, the seal- imposed ban saved them from recruiting difficulties. They took a ban mid-way through a mediocre year. It didn't hurt their recruiting prospects that year and the following year no one avoided them due to intelligibility.
Losing a couple of scholarships is nothing compared to losing players and recruits due to the inability to have postseason play.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Jones and Big please go to the cesspool with your political posts. Politics are everywhere, tv,Internet and on the street so let's at least keep it off the BB board for some peace.

Peace. On the boneyard? Have you seen this place?? :cool:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Is the NCAA now motivated by fear that the P5 schools will eventually bolt and form their own athletics association? Maybe that's why they go easy on the big boys. They're totally corrupt.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think the P5 was founded on that threat.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
SMU and UConn, along numerous other schools ought to sue the crap out of the NCAA
BUT the questions are: will it do anything? is it realistic?
Me thinks NOT
The NCAA is pure BS
Suing the NCAA is biting the hand that feeds you

Reaction Score
Suing the NCAA is biting the hand that feeds you
Right, but the member schools are the entities that hold the actual power. They have the product that the NCAA needs to exist. If the conferences all decided the NCAA was crap and formed their own governing body the TV/Cable networks would still line up and pay the big cake for the content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom