SMU | The Boneyard

SMU

Reaction Score
Obviously a tough match up tomorrow. Looking at their board, they are very confident and a lot of them think they blow us out. At home with a good crowd behind us...I think this is a close game, and hopefully we can make a push late to win. Keys to the game:

1. Rebounding. SMU is one of the better rebounding teams in the country. While they don't have huge size, they are all between 6'3 and 6'8, and really get after it on the glass. We need to do a MUCH BETTER job than we did against Houston, Memphis and Temple which all out rebounded us recently.

2. Bench. SMU basically plays 6 players, so we need some contribution from Enoch and Vital off the bench to offset their starters. Maybe we can get someone in foul trouble as they really don't have a bench.

3. Semi. Matchup nightmare for everyone. Who do we put on him? He is too quick for Kentan, and too big for Jackson. I expect Ollie to throw a lot of different defenses out there to try and slow down SMU in the halfcourt.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they're 0-2 in the regular season at the XL Center. They're only win was in the AAC title game two years ago.
Correct. We beat them in 2016 and 2015 at XL, but lost in 2015 in AAC final. And SMU has been ranked both times.

Reaction Score
Just need the SMU team that doesn't shoot it all that well on a given day, that one needs to show up Saturday.

Also need someone to step up and check Kyle Washington and limit him as the others will get theirs.

Reaction Score
QUOTE="mauconnfan, post: 2061084, member: 489"]Just need the SMU team that doesn't shoot it all that well on a given day, that one needs to show up Saturday.

Also need someone to step up and check Kyle Washington and limit him as the others will get theirs.[/QUOTE]
Kyle Washington is on Cincy
Mau call your bookie to see if you can cancel your bet. :oops:

Reaction Score
Always optimistic, hopefully we can be a top 4 seed in the AAc tourney.

Reaction Score
I mean, with 6 players, more or less, it is not possible to speed things up, up tempo, and try to exhaust them?

I don´t think it is possible sadly.

Just the same I do not think it will be a blow out. But I think it will be a game that will always be just out of reach, like Uconn will always be down between 8 to 12 points. Maybe once it will reach around 15 early in the second (dóh, it is 48-33) and late in the game Uconn will cut it down to 5 or 6 once or twice late in the game (like omg it is suddenly 61-56) but will never quite get over the hump (missing a 3 down 6 or something) before losing by 8 or 9 points. Something like 72-63 or maybe a 10 point loss, 74-64- regardless it will be one of those grind it out type wins for smu.

Reaction Score
But the annoying thing is. This is not even a great SMU team. Maybe a quick second round exit to a 2 or 3 seed type of team, at best. They got smoked by Michigan, lost to Boise State and I guess the loss at USC is okay but they pulled out a win vs. Pitt and looked awful vs a bad cal state team. This is not a knock your socks off kind of team, Uconn just plays scared against them. NO, smu is not amazing or even very good, it is just that uconn is bad this year...kind of really bad. They have potential but no, they are bad.

Reaction Score
Early line is SMU -5.

@Travelman32 you really got them pissed over there! I love a fan base that hasn't won a tournament game in 28 years talking about how bad we've become.

Reaction Score
But the annoying thing is. This is not even a great SMU team. Maybe a quick second round exit to a 2 or 3 seed type of team, at best. They got smoked by Michigan, lost to Boise State and I guess the loss at USC is okay but they pulled out a win vs. Pitt and looked awful vs a bad cal state team. This is not a knock your socks off kind of team, Uconn just plays scared against them. NO, smu is not amazing or even very good, it is just that uconn is bad this year...kind of really bad. They have potential but no, they are bad.
Potential?

Do you realize they lost two of their starters for the season and another rotation player and their best player missed a few games because of a concussion?

If Gilbert & Larrier was here this game is a wrap just like it was the last two years.

Wake up, Ollie has done a solid job with this team considering all the injuries.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I think SMU has been a very good team the last two years. Their guys always play hard and they play unselfish basketball, they also have one of the best passing front courts in the country.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they're 0-2 in the regular season at the XL Center. They're only win was in the AAC title game two years ago.

One of the early accomplishments for SMU in our current period of success was sweeping the subsequent national champions. Good luck the rest of the season, just not today as we want the conference championship.

SMU Defeats No. 21 UConn On The Road, 64-55

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
One of the early accomplishments for SMU in our current period of success was sweeping the subsequent national champions. Good luck the rest of the season, just not today as we want the conference championship.

SMU Defeats No. 21 UConn On The Road, 64-55

hey mustang- glad to have you on the board. feel free to chime into the game thread today and stick around after our game- love having engaging fans from our conference mates on here.

If you're a football guy- check out our football board too. We play you guys this year and I'm curious to get your take on Chad Morris' progress as SMU coach.

Best of luck just not today!

Reaction Score
Potential?

Do you realize they lost two of their starters for the season and another rotation player and their best player missed a few games because of a concussion?

If Gilbert & Larrier was here this game is a wrap just like it was the last two years.

Wake up, Ollie has done a solid job with this team considering all the injuries.
....I am well aware...who isn't? This team STILL has potential, despite the injuries, is what I mean.

Reaction Score
hey mustang- glad to have you on the board. feel free to chime into the game thread today and stick around after our game- love having engaging fans from our conference mates on here.

If you're a football guy- check out our football board too. We play you guys this year and I'm curious to get your take on Chad Morris' progress as SMU coach.

Best of luck just not today!

Thank you for the welcome! We all want UCONN to succeed, just not as much as SMU.

Reaction Score
SMU is a darn good team. They are a upper level Big East playing team in our last 5 years in that conference. I like ALL their starters ... and Foster gets lost in the mix some. Milton hit an amazing amount of difficult hand-in-his-face threes yesterday. Both Forwards rebound and defend well. If they do get knocked out early in MM ... it is because they really aren't a complete team and that means their limitations can be used against them when someone can plan and has more components than them. A solid bull down low can kill them and a really good transition game would as well.

Reaction Score
I would not want to play SMU in the tourney, they could take down a 1 or 2 seed.

Reaction Score
I would not want to play SMU in the tourney, they could take down a 1 or 2 seed.

That is what is special about the March Madness tournament.

Matchups.

I agree ... this is a disciplined team with lots of senior/junior experience. Good guards. Able to crunch hitting 3s. ABSOLUTELY, they can take down a 1 or a 2 or a 3. But, they also can lose inexplicably because a Team has 8/9 solid players and a gameplan. You can run more; you can foul more; you can bring it down low. But ... I am impressed with the job Jankovich has done.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

The tourney is all about match ups
SMU, regardless of your wrong estimation, is a very strong team. They have 4 guys on the floor at all times who can handle, shoot and rebound - they aren't the tallest but are athletic and long. They are a nightmare match up for most teams. They space their offense effectively. The one thing that will hurt them is foul trouble or a key injury
After watching Cuse and Lville today, SMU could beat Lville and I think by 10pts or more
Yeah, SMU is not amazing or even very good ??? No team is amazing. But not very good? You talk to hear yourself talk with a statement like that - pure BS
OK UConn is bad, kinda really bad - don't bother watching
I don't think UConn is bad - undermanned and in the whole - inexperienced

Reaction Score
The tourney is all about match ups
SMU, regardless of your wrong estimation, is a very strong team. They have 4 guys on the floor at all times who can handle, shoot and rebound - they aren't the tallest but are athletic and long. They are a nightmare match up for most teams. They space their offense effectively. The one thing that will hurt them is foul trouble or a key injury
After watching Cuse and Lville today, SMU could beat Lville and I think by 10pts or more
Yeah, SMU is not amazing or even very good ??? No team is amazing. But not very good? You talk to hear yourself talk with a statement like that - pure BS
OK UConn is bad, kinda really bad - don't bother watching
I don't think UConn is bad - undermanned and in the whole - inexperienced
Well, everyone has different perceptions, deal with it.

"You talk to hear yourself talk with a statement like that"

Pot -- kettle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom