SMU thoughts | The Boneyard

SMU thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. The team played smart basketball. They didn't wilt, and when SMU closed on us late, they didn't panic.
  2. Ollie out-gamed one of his mentors. Brown's primary strategy was to not allow us to run, by conceding the boards at their end, and getting everybody heading back down court as soon as the shot went up. Ollie's was to guard two things. Nick and the paint. Ollie won.
  3. Mike Patrick is an annoying idiot.
  4. Amida was the player of the game, and it wasn't even close.
  5. He didn't play particularly well last night, but whether it's this year or next, I'm going to miss Rodney when he leaves. I just like the guy's attitude.
  6. Did I mention that Mike Patrick is annoying?
  7. The putback on Facey's o-board at 11:20 or so was a move you would expect from an offensively skilled 3.
  8. DHam does something great. Then something dumb to cancel it out. Consistently. But I'm glad he got to redeem himself for that potentially disastrous missed FT last night! After that, he owned winning time.
  9. Calhoun has been great the last two games. Better than great. Showing his whole game, defense, hitting the glass, passing and driving a lot, in addition to the threes.
  10. Overall, the officiating wasn't bad. I only found myself screaming at the officials three times -- all within the last 9 minutes of the game.
  11. Talk about 2 evenly matched teams. They shot 25 of 58, we shot 25 of 57.
  12. We were awful from 3, but astoundingly good (87%) from the line. SMU was the opposite -- great from 3, but 50% from the line.
  13. Shonn covers more ground without moving his pivot foot than anyone I've ever seen. When he gets the ball 8 to 10 feet from the hoop, especially on the right elbow, he moves as far as he can away from the hoop while maintaining his left foot pivot, and when he gets his man (or often men) moving that way, he does that up and under thing (actually it's under and up, but hey, it's announcerspeak) and ends up with an uncontested 2 or 3 foot shot off the board. To my way of thinking, it's the most important move an interior player can develop, and he does it as well as any college player I've ever seen. If he wanted to, I'd bet he could be a great big man coach some day.
  14. The game last night was just a great college basketball game. Each team played to their strengths and worked hard to take the other team's strengths away. I might have enjoyed last night's game more than any game this season or last.

Reaction Score
  1. Shonn covers more ground without moving his pivot foot than anyone I've ever seen. When he gets the ball 8 to 10 feet from the hoop, especially on the right elbow, he moves as far as he can away from the hoop while maintaining his left foot pivot, and when he gets his man (or often men) moving that way, he does that up and under thing (actually it's under and up, but hey, it's announcerspeak) and ends up with an uncontested 2 or 3 foot shot off the board. To my way of thinking, it's the most important move an interior player can develop, and he does it as well as any college player I've ever seen. If he wanted to, I'd bet he could be a great big man coach some day.
  2. The game last night was just a great college basketball game. Each team played to their strengths and worked hard to take the other team's strengths away. I might have enjoyed last night's game more than any game this season or last.

I love point 13. 14 too.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I completely forgot to mention Kennedy's uncalled travel. To me, it was the most egregiously blown call of a game that the refs actually did well in. He took four steps. FOUR! Patrick said he "almost" traveled, and Elmore said that if he had put his foot down before he got rid of the ball they would have called it. Aside from the fact that he had already traveled at that point, he DID put the foot in question down before he got rid of the ball. It was the third different place his pivot foot had been since giving up the dribble.

SIGH

Reaction Score
  1. The team played smart basketball. They didn't wilt, and when SMU closed on us late, they didn't panic
Honestly, you're only saying this because they won. They did wilt. Those terrible possessions at the end of the game where we held the ball, ran bad offense, and then someone went 1v1 and/or Hamilton jacked a 3 were infuriating. That's why SMU closed on us late. It's also the reason we've been terrible in close games. Nothing changed in this one.

We were, what, up 9 with 4 minutes left? And then UConn started quasi-stalling and fell apart offensively. Thankfully Amida bailed them out on the defensive end and Hamilton hit a few tough but probably not great decision shots. Plus SMU missed a few foul shots and layups (some changed by Amida, but some changed more than they should have been...).

Maybe that's not panicking, but Ollie needs to fix that sub-5 minute small lead offense. Before tournament time.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Honestly, you're only saying this because they won. They did wilt. Those terrible possessions at the end of the game where we held the ball, ran bad offense, and then someone went 1v1 and/or Hamilton jacked a 3 were infuriating. That's why SMU closed on us late. It's also the reason we've been terrible in close games. Nothing changed in this one.

We were, what, up 9 with 4 minutes left? And then UConn started quasi-stalling and fell apart offensively. Thankfully Amida bailed them out on the defensive end and Hamilton hit a few tough but probably not great decision shots. Plus SMU missed a few foul shots and layups (some changed by Amida, but some changed more than they should have been...).

Maybe that's not panicking, but Ollie needs to fix that sub-5 minute small lead offense. Before tournament time.

You missed my point entirely. In the recent stretch of losing leads late, they fell apart big time after the lead evaporated. Last night was back and forth all game, especially in the 2nd half, where it seemed to go from tied to a one possession lead and back again for an eternity. We finally got it up to a 3 possession lead, and SMU came back. To me, that was just an extension of the back & forth flow of the game. But two weeks ago -- maybe even last week -- they would have folded when that cushion disappeared. Last night they didn't. To say it was only because our shots fell and theirs didn't is ludicrous. That is the whole idea of the game -- to make shots when your opponent didn't.

Reaction Score
But two weeks ago -- maybe even last week -- they would have folded when that cushion disappeared. Last night they didn't. To say it was only because our shots fell and theirs didn't is ludicrous. That is the whole idea of the game -- to make shots when your opponent didn't.

If you think we got better shots in the last 4 minutes of the game, the deciding factor aside from variance in basketball, I'd concede the point. But they didn't.

UConn up 64-55 with 3:45 left. Teams in that scenario win 98% of the time (not a made up number). SMU coming back from that deficit is not just flow of the game. From that point on...

• Brimah is stuck in no man's land on the PNR. Alley-oop dunk for SMU. UConn +7. Ollie calls timeout presumably to go over his late game strategy.
  • Gibbs dribbles time off the clock, feeds it to Miller who gets blocked/loses the ball. UConn ball out of bounds. Miller gets blocked again and gets called for travel.
  • SMU drives, misses, gets 2 offensive rebounds, ball out of bounds off UConn. Milton misses short, open runner. Maybe changed by Brimah, but he wasn't primary defender and didn't get close to the ball.
  • Adams dribbles for 20 seconds at center court, Offense starts late, Hamilton chucks up terrible brick 3.
  • SMU penetrates, reverses ball for completely wide open 3. Hamilton loses his man. UConn +4
    s20vxMh.png
  • UConn guards dribbles near half court. Starts offense with 6 seconds left. Adams completely bricks pull-up 19 footer.
  • Nic Moore hits floater. UConn +2. 1:13 left, 7-0 run with UConn not even a threat to score on any recent possession. This is when you say they stood firm and didn't wilt.
  • UConn runs offense starting at 15 seconds. Miller drives, gives to Hamilton who drives into middle. Stopped by defender. He hits a tough leaning jumper. UConn +4.
  • Nic Moore gets into the paint easily and puts up layup. No real defense as Brimah wasn't in position to block it, but Moore shoots a bit early (perhaps due to Brimah's ghost). Elmore thinks he got piece, then backtracks to saying changed. On replay, he wasn't even close. Tie up on rebound. SMU ball. Brimah called for foul. Kennedy misses 2 free throws.
  • SMU, now down 4 instead of 2, is forced to foul. Hamilton misses front end of 1-and-1.
  • Nic Moore comes down, makes a move, beats his man, help comes, and throws up a floater. Misses. SMU offensive rebound. Kicks out to wide open 3. Misses it.
    m02tsxg.png
  • Hamilton fouled again. Makes both this time.
  • SMU puts up desperation 3, misses.

I don't see great execution. I don't see great defense. I don't see great offense. I don't see not wilting. UConn scored one real bucket in the last 3 minutes, that leaning Hamilton tough jumper. Hamilton also missed a front end of a 1-and-1. Brimah protected the rim well, but SMU still had quasi-open layups, runners, and either scored or got an offensive/shared rebound on all 6 of their possessions down the stretch before that desperation 3 at the end. That's poor execution, as is allowing 2 completely wide open 3's when you're guarding a lead.

This was a 98% win that we almost gave away. At home!

Last edited:
Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
UConn up 64-55 with 3:45 left. Teams in that scenario win 98% of the time (not a made up number).

I don't necessarily disagree with you pointing out our lack of execution during that stretch, but thats seems like a made up number.

Reaction Score
If you think we got better shots in the last 4 minutes of the game, the deciding factor aside from variance in basketball, I'd concede the point. But they didn't.

UConn up 64-55 with 3:45 left. Teams in that scenario win 98% of the time (not a made up number). SMU coming back from that deficit is not just flow of the game. From that point on...

• Brimah is stuck in no man's land on the PNR. Alley-oop dunk for SMU. UConn +7. Ollie calls timeout presumably to go over his late game strategy.
  • Gibbs dribbles time off the clock, feeds it to Miller who gets blocked/loses the ball. UConn ball out of bounds. Miller gets blocked again and gets called for travel.
  • SMU drives, misses, gets 2 offensive rebounds, ball out of bounds off UConn. Milton misses short, open runner. Maybe changed by Brimah, but he wasn't primary defender and didn't get close to the ball.
  • Adams dribbles for 20 seconds at center court, Offense starts late, Hamilton chucks up terrible brick 3.
  • SMU penetrates, reverses ball for completely wide open 3. Hamilton loses his man. UConn +4
    s20vxMh.png
  • UConn guards dribbles near half court. Starts offense with 6 seconds left. Adams completely bricks pull-up 19 footer.
  • Nic Moore hits floater. UConn +2. 1:13 left, 7-0 run with UConn not even a threat to score on any recent possession. This is when you say they stood firm and didn't wilt.
  • UConn runs offense starting at 15 seconds. Miller drives, gives to Hamilton who drives into middle. Stopped by defender. He hits a tough leaning jumper. UConn +4.
  • Nic Moore gets into the paint easily and puts up layup. No real defense as Brimah wasn't in position to block it, but Moore shoots a bit early (perhaps due to Brimah's ghost). Elmore thinks he got piece, then backtracks to saying changed. On replay, he wasn't even close. Tie up on rebound. SMU ball. Brimah called for foul. Kennedy misses 2 free throws.
  • SMU, now down 4 instead of 2, is forced to foul. Hamilton misses front end of 1-and-1.
  • Nic Moore comes down, makes a move, beats his man, help comes, and throws up a floater. Misses. SMU offensive rebound. Kicks out to wide open 3. Misses it.
    m02tsxg.png
  • Hamilton fouled again. Makes both this time.
  • SMU puts up desperation 3, misses.

I don't see great execution. I don't see great defense. I don't see great offense. I don't see not wilting. UConn scored one real bucket in the last 3 minutes, that leaning Hamilton tough jumper. Hamilton also missed a front end of a 1-and-1. Brimah protected the rim well, but SMU still had quasi-open layups, runners, and either scored or got an offensive/shared rebound on all 6 of their possessions down the stretch before that desperation 3 at the end. That's poor execution, as is allowing 2 completely wide open 3's when you're guarding a lead.

This was a 98% win that we almost gave away. At home!

Congratulations on accurately describing a college basketball game. They beat a team who'd be ranked in the top 10 if not for being blackballed over their post season ban. That's supposed to be enjoyable for you.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
KenPom win probability graph (adjusts based on score, situation, home court, and team strength)
zBcRYgc.png

So our odds of winning dropped from 98% to 85%...and you think we fell apart? No, what happened at the end of the Temple game is falling apart, not withstanding a run from a very good team. 98% of teams win those games, but the reason that number is so high is because it's very difficult to come back from that deficit in such a short period of time. I'd be willing to bet a decent chunk of that 98% made the game a little closer than they expected at the end, too, but still hung on.

I agree that Ollie needs to change his offensive philosophy in the last few minutes; I've been screaming that at the TV at the end of every game where we've had a tight lead. We don't have Kemba, Shabazz, or Boat to bail us out at the end of the shotclock like we have for the last 5 or so seasons. But the team got the job done last night.

Reaction Score
So our odds of winning dropped from 98% to 85%...and you think we fell apart? No, what happened at the end of the Temple game is falling apart, not withstanding a run from a very good team. 98% of teams win those games, but the reason that number is so high is because it's very difficult to come back from that deficit in such a short period of time. I'd be willing to bet a decent chunk of that 98% made the game a little closer than they expected at the end, too, but still hung on.

I agree that Ollie needs to change his offensive philosophy in the last few minutes; I've been screaming that at the TV at the end of every game where we've had a tight lead. We don't have Kemba, Shabazz, or Boat to bail us out at the end of the shotclock like we have for the last 5 or so seasons. But the team got the job done last night.

If Kennedy makes those 2 FT's or they hit that wide-open 3, that line jumps waaaay down, especially since SMU wouldn't have to start fouling. The truth is that we almost lost a game we had no business losing considering what the score was at that point in the game. And the further truth and what launched this discussion is that we didn't win because we had guts or executed or played well on either offense or defense in the last 3 minutes. The quote from the OP was: "They didn't wilt, and when SMU closed on us late, they didn't panic." I don't see a team that should be so pleased with how they played to end the game. Great win, not great play in the last 4 minutes, which is the pattern we've seen from this team.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If Kennedy makes those 2 FT's or they hit that wide-open 3, that line jumps waaaay down, especially since SMU wouldn't have to start fouling. The truth is that we almost lost a game we had no business losing considering what the score was at that point in the game. And the further truth and what launched this discussion is that we didn't win because we had guts or executed or played well on either offense or defense in the last 3 minutes. The quote from the OP was: "They didn't wilt, and when SMU closed on us late, they didn't panic." I don't see a team that should be so pleased with how they played to end the game. Great win, not great play in the last 4 minutes, which is the pattern we've seen from this team.

If, if, if. SMU shot 60% from 3, and your argument is we got lucky they missed a 3? This is why teams win 98% of the time when they have that kind of lead; everything would've had to break SMU's way in order for them to win.

Reaction Score
What the statistical gobbledygook & verbiage misses is ... we were tougher on the defensive rebounding end & 50/50 balls. We got them. It's not that SMU went less hard than Temple or Cincy. It's our kids are/were more urgent to get those. Part of that was having the right kids in the game because the zebras didn't call crap earlier.

Reaction Score
If, if, if. SMU shot 60% from 3, and your argument is we got lucky they missed a 3? This is why teams win 98% of the time when they have that kind of lead; everything would've had to break SMU's way in order for them to win.

I'm not sure how you're not understanding my point. I'm not arguing SMU should have won or that UConn got lucky to win. UCon earned that lead. I'm saying UConn did not do much to prevent the loss (as you can see from the 3's being wide open)., which is what others were arguing. We did not withstand SMU by heroic effort or smart play or great execution. Our late game play was still lousy, as it has been for much of the year.

What the statistical gobbledygook & verbiage misses is ... we were tougher on the defensive rebounding end & 50/50 balls. We got them. It's not that SMU went less hard than Temple or Cincy. It's our kids are/were more urgent to get those. Part of that was having the right kids in the game because the zebras didn't call crap earlier.

SMU got offensive rebounds on every possession they missed a shot in the last 4 minutes (other than the last desperation 3). The whole game maybe, but nobody in this thread was arguing that otherwise.

Reaction Score
You can believe what you want.

The key plays were made by UConn at the SMU end in the last minute. And that difficult Daniel Hanilton shot you stress ... We've all seen him make that at better than 50% most of his year. Excepting a bad stretch in January.

I agree that we didn't get superlative Bazz type heroics. We won because of 2 things - I believe. Key crucial plays made by us in the last 5. And we had interior guys with little foul trouble playing late.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you're not understanding my point. I'm not arguing SMU should have won or that UConn got lucky to win. UCon earned that lead. I'm saying UConn did not do much to prevent the loss (as you can see from the 3's being wide open)., which is what others were arguing. We did not withstand SMU by heroic effort or smart play or great execution. Our late game play was still lousy, as it has been for much of the year.

They got open looks from 3 the whole game; they're a top 10 offense in the country. We locked them down on the paint and made them have to hit a high number of open shots to beat us, that was the game plan, and it worked, even despite the fact that SMU hit 60% of their 3s throughout the game. I don't see how you can say they wilted when they did everything the same as they had earlier in the game.

SMU is a good team; give them some credit here.

Reaction Score
They got open looks from 3 the whole game; they're a top 10 offense in the country. We locked them down on the paint and made them have to hit a high number of open shots to beat us, that was the game plan, and it worked, even despite the fact that SMU hit 60% of their 3s throughout the game. I don't see how you can say they wilted when they did everything the same as they had earlier in the game.

SMU is a good team; give them some credit here.

You're right, SMU does deserve credit. But the offense we ran where we have a guy dribble out the clock and then crank up a bad shot is horrendous and that's a significant part of this. We also "locked down the paint", but they got offensive rebounds at will in the last 4 minutes, Nic Moore made a few shots from the paint and threw an alley-oop, plus the open 3's (and this was all in like 6 possessions). Down the stretch out offense was terrible, our defense left guys open (but maybe adjusted for competition was average), we didn't keep them off the boards, and we missed a front 1-and-1. Maybe that's not panicking, but that's not exactly coming up big in "winning time".

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You're right, SMU does deserve credit. But the offense we ran where we have a guy dribble out the clock and then crank up a bad shot is horrendous and that's a significant part of this. We also "locked down the paint", but they got offensive rebounds at will in the last 4 minutes, Nic Moore made a few shots from the paint and threw an alley-oop, plus the open 3's (and this was all in like 6 possessions). Down the stretch out offense was terrible, our defense left guys open (but maybe adjusted for competition was average), we didn't keep them off the boards, and we missed a front 1-and-1. Maybe that's not panicking, but that's not exactly coming up big in "winning time".

Yeah, the argument was never that they came up big. The argument was that they didn't fall apart like they did in previous games. They hung on. They weren't great, for sure, but they were much better than they were against Temple and Tulsa last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom