SMU Presser: Geno ribs Lou on lack of ribbies | The Boneyard

SMU Presser: Geno ribs Lou on lack of ribbies

Reaction Score

SMU presser starts with Geno joking about whether Lou will ever get an offensive rebound. Then goes on to good reflections on the team.

It's the (boring) hobby horse I'm riding: maybe UConn doesn't need Lou's rebounding this year--or maybe it will need it very badly, starting tomorrow night. But after this year, it won't need it and there'll be no urgency for her to improve. Still, for her to realize all her potential as a pro, Lou--who otherwise invites physicality in taking charges and driving strong to the hoop--right now needs to commit to hitting the boards. And please, folks, no excuses that she plays a wing on defense or on offense is supposed to drift back after the shot to defend against a fast break. Far too many times, the ball balances into her area and she just doesn't commit to going after it. She's the tallest starter and should be getting at least another 3 or 4 ribbies/game.

Lou is a fantastic, elegant (counts for a lot in basketball) player, capable of rapid improvement (such as her overall defense) when she puts her mind to it. Just drives me nuts that she's not as committed to rebounding. End of rant for this a.m.

Reaction Score

SMU presser starts with Geno joking about whether Lou will ever get an offensive rebound. Then goes on to good reflections on the team.

It's the (boring) hobby horse I'm riding: maybe UConn doesn't need Lou's rebounding this year--or maybe it will need it very badly, starting tomorrow night. But after this year, it won't need it and there'll be no urgency for her to improve. Still, for her to realize all her potential as a pro, Lou--who otherwise invites physicality in taking charges and driving strong to the hoop--right now needs to commit to hitting the boards. And please, folks, no excuses that she plays a wing on defense or on offense is supposed to drift back after the shot to defend against a fast break. Far too many times, the ball balances into her area and she just doesn't commit to going after it. She's the tallest starter and should be getting at least another 3 or 4 ribbies/game.

Lou is a fantastic, elegant (counts for a lot in basketball) player, capable of rapid improvement (such as her overall defense) when she puts her mind to it. Just drives me nuts that she's not as committed to rebounding. End of rant for this a.m.

:):)--- Regarding the bold - We all have our personal pet peeves. There are styles of play we prefer of team and player and favorite players we prefer. I have other things that bothers me much more than Lou's rebounding -- but I agree Lou does go after rebounds soft. However at the 2 minute mark of the video Geno does Lou is working pretty hard at her weaknesses such as rebounding. He mentions -- "things that don't come naturally for her." OFC I think we both believe the rebounds we see Lou go after softly, Geno will continue to pound her for it. After all in the beginning of the video he speaks that during the 99 game winning streak, Lou hasn't had 1 offensive rebound. But as we know she wasn't part of the run two years ago - she hasn't played in all 99 games. But it doesn't bother me as much as it does you. As I said I have other pet peeves that set me off more.

Regarding the underlined. I am hopeful / or I should say I know --- Geno will continue to harp on Lou for the things that don't come naturally for her - such as rebounding. She may never "be" the "physical Larry Bird" we would love to see. But all players have a ceiling. We're excited to see what ceiling she and her other teammates reach. I do expect Geno to keep pushing her and everyone else.

Reaction Score

So since we have shared opinions in the past on this topic I have paid extra attention. To further validate your point, what I see is that even when she is in the area to rebound she does not position/brace herself to fight against the opposition. In fact, I have seen her in good position at times and the opposing player use their bottom area to shove her out. So while she does okay rebounding at her position,,, doing okay at UConn is not okay. In summary I agree that determination she has when she has the ball with scoring in mind needs to carry over to hitting the glass. It will be needed Monday and more importantly come March.

Reaction Score
:):)--- Regarding the bold - We all have our personal pet peeves. There are styles of play we prefer of team and player and favorite players we prefer. I have other things that bothers me much more than Lou's rebounding -- but I agree Lou does go after rebounds soft. However at the 2 minute mark of the video Geno does Lou is working pretty hard at her weaknesses such as rebounding. He mentions -- "things that don't come naturally for her." OFC I think we both believe the rebounds we see Lou go after softly, Geno will continue to pound her for it. After all in the beginning of the video he speaks that during the 99 game winning streak, Lou hasn't had 1 offensive rebound. But as we know she wasn't part of the run two years ago - she hasn't played in all 99 games. But it doesn't bother me as much as it does you. As I said I have other pet peeves that set me off more.

Regarding the underlined. I am hopeful / or I should say I know --- Geno will continue to harp on Lou for the things that don't come naturally for her - such as rebounding. She may never "be" the "physical Larry Bird" we would love to see. But all players have a ceiling. We're excited to see what ceiling she and her other teammates reach. I do expect Geno to keep pushing her and everyone else.
I get what you're saying. But I don't think rebounding is really difficult like (say) improving one's shooting percentage. It's simply about being committed in practice to fight for the ball and transferring that commitment to game conditions. If Lou were contact-adverse, I'd understand. Some plays are, and yet can be fantastic scorers. But Lou has no problem with contact. So, why can't she rebound more aggressively? I just don't get it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Head bangHead bang

It's the (boring) hobby horse I'm riding: maybe UConn doesn't need Lou's rebounding this year--or maybe it will need it very badly, starting tomorrow night. But after this year, it won't need it and there'll be no urgency for her to improve. Still, for her to realize all her potential as a pro, Lou--who otherwise invites physicality in taking charges and driving strong to the hoop--right now needs to commit to hitting the boards. m.

Give it a rest! She's 4th on the team in rebounds, 4th on offensive rebounds, her game is not UNDER THE BASKET like Gabby, Napheesa or Nat. When she needs to get them, she does. Just like Geno needed to zing Stewie at times to keep her motivated and working, he does this to KLS and with a big game tomorrow he wants her, with her size to go inside and help out. He is allowed to make fun and tweak his player, you on the hand focus far too much on it. He's my metaphor for you, "every Tues night, your wife takes the garbage can down to the street for Wed pickup, she does it because she's home and wants it done. Why don't you take it down? Well, when she isn't home, you do, it's just not needed regularly". So while you say you "ride the boring hobby horse" you are 100% correct-it's boring hearing it when you definitely know better. The appropriate emoji here is this one on your postHead bang

Reaction Score
Give it a rest! " you are 100% correct-it's boring hearing it when you definitely know better. The appropriate emoji here is this one on your post
criticism only encourages me :)

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Geno sees something in KLS and will push her to get it. She has improved her defense and now rebounding is the next step to becoming a complete player. This is part of the reason she came to UCONN - to push herself to being the best KLS she could be.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, if KLS sees Larry Bird as a player to model her game after then she has a bit to go...no question she has the scoring down but Bird is the only player in NBA history to average more than 20pts, 10 reb and 6 assists for a career. I agree with bags that the next part of her game that needs to evolve is rebounding. Further, there probably was none better than Bird in finding the open man when he was double teamed. Lou's passing is terrific , particularly in the open court but once she learns to consistently recognize the double and quickly find her teammates then she will be that much more valuable. Lou has evolved beyond my expectations this year and IMO,a few more tweaks in her game could lead to a legit comparison to LB.

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying. But I don't think rebounding is really difficult like (say) improving one's shooting percentage. It's simply about being committed in practice to fight for the ball and transferring that commitment to game conditions. If Lou were contact-adverse, I'd understand. Some plays are, and yet can be fantastic scorers. But Lou has no problem with contact. So, why can't she rebound more aggressively? I just don't get it.

IT all depends on the person and what do you mean by "difficult." I don't agree at all with your assertion -- "It's simply about being committed in practice to fight for the ball and transferring that commitment to game conditions."

I think you are way way way way way way oversimplifying how hard it is to rebound well enough to fit your standards/criteria.

That's why I said each person has their own pet peeves. When you say previously "Folks please no excuses . . . " from your initial post-- imo that is just your preference of play from a player. The style of play you prefer. Geno has said on the video you posted here "she is working pretty hard at it." Yet with you -- it is driving you NUTS.

I know there are certain things I value - which you will brush off. Thus we have different likes and styles. Fro example, I know many on here love to bang he ball inside to a BIG center and feel more comfortable with playing halfcourt bruiser basketball. This summer I went at it with a poster who said Geno blew it last year by not giving Nat bigger minutes because once season started we now had no chance to beat any of the big teams because she didn't get those minutes. She had "likes" to her style/ what she wanted/felt we needed. I think there are different ways to play and win. Only thinking only way to win is that we should play bruiser-ball drives me nuts thus whenever Nat would have a good scoring game - there was a time some would say-- "we need to get Nat more touches."

In this case- I like a style that is up and down. This team at tops is going to lsoe TWO GAMES all year. That surpasses or at best equals what I thought. I didn't have a number that I can recall but it certainly wasn't zero or one. I enjoy the uptempo style therefore because Lou isn't getting rebounds but we are still playing an uptempo AND Geno seems "somewhat satisfied" That Lou is working hard enough to improve, I am not going as "nuts" as you.

If I want to look at - things we need for USC-- sure one can point to Lou being tougher. But we also have other issues - they don't drive me "nuts" but it can for nay of us that have different preferecnes than you:

Gabby - her getting down while clunking free throws along with overall she is not shooting well from 15 feet. There were posters praising her to start the year how she was going to knock down 3's and others told us she WAS a good shooter in high school yet she STILL doesn't shoot that well beyond 5-8 feet. Last year Gabby shot 75% from the ft line. This year she is shooting .667 and the trend is going down. Now YOU may not care about it- but what about those that think ft shooting has juts a lot do with concentration etc?

Collier- in how many big games is she going to keep getting into foul trouble? In Games vs Baylor, ND and MD she got into foul trouble. PLUS as we heard Geno yell at her during Baylor-- just because she got a shot blocked - will she stop shooting the ball from the outside? Geno has said she has a beauty shot. Look at three games she got into foul trouble-- she took ZERO 3's yet we heard Geno say she can shoot the ball very well. Then look at three games she took at least one three- in those games she played 38, 39, 39 minutes - probably was feeling more confident to take the shots vs Fla State, Ohio State and Texas. Tentative play from her - as we heard Geno yell at her vs Baylor- that could be something that drives others "nuts."

And as for Kia-- aren't we always a bit concerned about her confidence? Right now she is going through a tough patch shooting. Did you see some of her shots yesterday. They clanked the bottom of the rim even though she was open. It's oen thing to miss- and even occasionally chuck an airball- but don't you think there si a concern/frustration over how she might flip from one extreme ot another yet she is supposed to the the team leader?

***The point is-- we can fret over MANY things. Rebounding bothers you. IMO it is what you prefer. IMO you are over-simplifying the difficulty of a player to change to become more aggressive when even as we hear from Geno he has said 1)-- it doesn't come naturally for her AND he has said "she is doing pretty well trying to overcome her weaknesses." SO when you made your comment "Please folks no excuses . . ." I brush that off as it being just your preference. Others can fret over the Gabby/Collier/issues which apparently doesn't bother you as much but it does others. I've seen arguments about Gabby's shooting. I've read stuff about Kia not being all that good (not that it was stated she is bad). There are posters during the games that fret how we are playing poorly etc.

*****I'll reiterate with you -- I do agree with you -- Lou needs to play tougher. Even next year and afterwards. Regardless of wins and losses.

Reaction Score
Bags,
Not to be a nudge, but any new footage of Danielle Cosgrove? Nothing recent on YouTube.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, if KLS sees Larry Bird as a player to model her game after then she has a bit to go..no question she has the scoring down but Bird is the only player in NBA history to average more than 20pts, 10 reb and 6 assists for a career. I agree with bags that the next part of her game that needs to evolve is rebounding. Further, there probably was none better than Bird in finding the open man when he was double teamed. Lou's passing is terrific , particularly in the open court but once she learns to consistently recognize the double and quickly find her teammates then she will be that much more valuable. Lou has evolved beyond my expectations this year and IMO,a few more tweaks in her game could lead to a legit comparison to LB.

First off - I don't agree in even mentioning NBA stats of a grown man vs a sophomore college kid (imo mentioning pro Bird vs College Lou as a comparison is like me remembering that Geno once compared Baggy to Green and then go on to say that Gabby isn't shooting the ball like Green did last year and thus it is driving me nuts because there were several posts this year that Gabby could knock down 3's and from posters who saw her in high school and said she was a good outside shooter. Yet even now her ft shooting is now worse than last year and it is on a down trend. I am not "going nuts over this." Juts bringing up a counter point to focusing on stats of pro player vs college kid.) . Secondly, Larry Bird was taking in his three years in college between 20-25 shots per game because he WAS the offense. Thus even with a focus on him- ofc you are going to see opposing teams look to double him more. Lou's I playing with kids like Collier and Gabby. What team in their right mind is going to double-team Lou leaving someone like Collier open who is shooting something like 68%?

So where do you see Lou getting double-teamed? And - when Bird was taking 20-25 shots per game, he didn't take any shots on the inside when he was doubled? Isn't that the only time you would ever see Lou doubled? So why mention Lou vs a double-team?

Reaction Score
Let's see .... Lou is being used as a guard, much the same as Kia.... what are Kia's numbers?

Kia has 9 offensive rebounds thru 23 games, Lou has 19.... and yeah Lou's last points last year came on a offensive rebound and putback against Oregon State.....

this is just Geno being Geno.

Reaction Score

How many tall teams has UC played?? As i have said about Holly---whose running that ship anyway?? Geno makes no points speaking to the public about KLS---KLS needs a personal invite to the Rebounding party--give her one. Nothing Geno or Bays said was incorrect
she is the talent, she is mobile, she is athletic, ---Rebounding is about determination and accepting physical really physical contact--something Katie Lou does not shy away from. So please Geno---Tell Katie Lou---I'd rebound for you if I could--heck i'd carry water for you if need be--but they just won't let this guy on your team!!!
Thanks Bags27...

Reaction Score
What team in their right mind is going to double-team Lou leaving someone like Collier open who is shooting something like 68%?

So where do you see Lou getting double-teamed? And - when Bird was taking 20-25 shots per game, he didn't take any shots on the inside when he was doubled? Isn't that the only time you would ever see Lou doubled? So why mention Lou vs a double-team?
What I have seen in the recent games is when Lou is on the off side, defenders don't cheat as much to the lane. When the ball is on her side she gets gets faceguarded to prevent the pass. She has been getting doubleteamed lately when she does the curl at the elbow. But all that helps free up Gabby and Phee in the hi lo.

Reaction Score
....Just drives me nuts that she's not as committed to rebounding. End of rant for this a.m.

You should've ended your rant a paragraph sooner. What makes you think she's not committed?

Here's a reality check...everybody has different attitudes, aptitudes, and abilities. We're all different. Katie Lou has strengths and weaknesses, and at UConn, based on program history she will improve both. As will Napheesa, Gabby, Kia, Saniya, etc. But it is all but certain that no matter how many hours she puts into practicing, Katie Lou will never be the rebounder that, say, the similarly sized Kia Stokes was.

On the other hand, Kia Stokes will never be the shooter that the similarly sized Katie Lou Samuelson is. Didffernt people, different capabilities, different development. No amount of practice - or "commitment" - will change that.

And here's another reality check...with her current front line, Katie Lou doesn't need to be a great rebounder; and with the front lines she'll be playing with the next two years, there's perhaps even less need. Not that improving her rebounding wouldn't be a good thing for both her overall skill set and the team's as well, but there are only so many hours in a day, and it's almost certainly more productive for her to work on her dribble drive, passing, screening, defensive switching, and other skills with better payoffs than spending the afternoon going after rebounds until she's as good as Kia was - if she ever could be.

It's one thing for Geno to tweak his players - he's the coach and that's part of what he does, right or wrong. But it's another thing entirely for you to question any players "commitment"; frankly, neither you nor I are in a position to do that.

So don't.

And that is the end of this p.m. rant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom