SMU boosters raise $159 million | The Boneyard

SMU boosters raise $159 million

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Over the nine years where SMU won't receive a share of ACC revenue, that comes out to $17.67 mill/year. Pretty close to half of what they'd make receiving a full share.

If UConn gets into the ACC, I'd think we'd expect to take a haircut. Unfortunately, I don't think our boosters could raise anything remotely close to this.

Reaction Score
Over the nine years where SMU won't receive a share of ACC revenue, that comes out to $17.67 mill/year. Pretty close to half of what they'd make receiving a full share.

If UConn gets into the ACC, I'd think we'd expect to take a haircut. Unfortunately, I don't think our boosters could raise anything remotely close to this.
The difference between a private school and a public school when it comes to athletics is that the private school has to come close to breakeven every year or have significant donations to make up the difference. According to SMU, in 2021/2022, 63% of athletic department revenues came from direct and in-kind gifts, 13% from contributions and only 4% from ticket sales. SMU athletics are dependent on donations to run the department and not fans going to games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Depends on the circumstances. If they vote to let us in today, we probably take the SMU deal. If, instead they are reaching out to us after the departure of FSU, Clemson, UNC and possibly Georgia Tech and or Virginia, then I think we need to get a full share, because the value of the conference would be dramatically reduced addition of a big brand to the conference would have greater value to them.

Something else to keep in mind is that the money that "needs to be made up" isn't the full share that you didn't get but the full share that you gave up. As things stand now that would be the 4 million that we get from the big east.

Reaction Score
SMU’s replacement….

Reaction Score
Its a shame that their teams win so little to show for it all.

SMU picked a good year (2023) to go 11-3....some fans would be thrilled to have an 11 win season with Oklahoma, TCU, ECU, BC, Navy, Tulane, Memphis on the schedule

Reaction Score
By the way, as of 10:24am, the ACC has not yet welcomed SMU as a member on its website.

Reaction Score
The difference between a private school and a public school when it comes to athletics is that the private school has to come close to breakeven every year or have significant donations to make up the difference. According to SMU, in 2021/2022, 63% of athletic department revenues came from direct and in-kind gifts, 13% from contributions and only 4% from ticket sales. SMU athletics are dependent on donations to run the department and not fans going to games.

Attendance has been a problem for years at SMU. It does not market beyond a very narrow base.

Reaction Score
ACC finally got around to welcoming SMU. They also welcomed Cal and Stanford in the same post, just indicating it doesn't happen until August 2nd. Too lazy to do this twice I guess. lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ACC finally got around to welcoming SMU. They also welcomed Cal and Stanford in the same post, just indicating it doesn't happen until August 2nd. Too lazy to do this twice I guess. lol
Or didn't want to welcome SMU as a standalone?

Reaction Score
Well. At least it isn’t government taxes supporting the athletic department. But, that $150 million came from a room of billionaires. Pocket money for them.

Reaction Score
Remember, Athletics are the front porch of the university. Plus SMU had a long road back from the death penalty (oh the irony of it all). SMU joining and competing with the likes of FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, Duke and now Stanford can go a long way to lifting SMU in both athletics and academics. SMU was one of the potential "Magnolia Conference" members. I'm not saying these boosters care about academics but there will certainly be a benefit on that side. Money well spent.

The ACC can add Tulane and Rice and after it loses the big public football programs, it may just have its "Southern Ivies"

Reaction Score
And you know they don't?
I agree that you have no idea who is giving and to whom else they are giving to. But my daughter has a friend going to SMU in fall. I've always heard what a rich school SMU is so I was a bit surprised that the school's endowment per student is adequate, but not spectacular. The endowment per student is only ahead of Miami and Syracuse amongst the ACC private schools. I guess if you can make a few calls and come up with $159mm for a pet project the endowment isn't as important though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom