Smith and Bazz | The Boneyard

Smith and Bazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I noticed how Smith's stock rose higher with the tourney, and there is some talk of him declaring. Bazz obviously didn't benefit this year with post-season exposure. I'm wondering if Smith does declare would this hurt Bazz as Smith is peaked right now in terms of NBA stock, consequently pushing Bazz down a notch?

I know some argue that post season doesn't matter that much, but if you get hot with the nation and media watching it surely doesn't hurt.

Just maybe with Smith and that Michigan kid (and cuse pg to a certain extent) having successes it may make Bazz's decision that much tougher or easier for that matter.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
He needs to stay, for the good of the human race!!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Michael Carter-Williams, Russ Smith, Trey Burke, Marcus Smart, and CJ McCollum will most likely be taken before Shabazz (if he enters).

I think the decision is easy.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Bazz thinks about putting a second ring on his finger

Reaction Score
Smith has the quickness and ability to get in the lane, get around people and finish that not many NBA players have. He could immediately step into a Jason Terry/Jamal Crawford type role off most if not all NBA benches. I can't see him ever being a featured NBA point guard with that decision making, but talk about a weapon to bring in for instant offense. He's done enough in this tourney to possibly be a late 1st round pick for a team looking to beef up its bench. The only way another year could help his stock is if he improves his 3P%, but there's a strong chance that more time at point would probably expose him.

Bazz is very solid, but doesn't wow you with any aspect of his game. His path to the NBA is another season where he increases his points and assists while limiting turnovers and leading the team deep in the tourney. He's in the A.J. Price/John Lucas backup pg role and would need an injury to give him a chance to run a team in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Smith has the quickness and ability to get in the lane, get around people and finish that not many NBA players have. He could immediately step into a Jason Terry/Jamal Crawford type role off most if not all NBA benches. I can't see him ever being a featured NBA point guard with that decision making, but talk about a weapon to bring in for instant offense. He's done enough in this tourney to possibly be a late 1st round pick for a team looking to beef up its bench. The only way another year could help his stock is if he improves his 3P%, but there's a strong chance that more time at point would probably expose him.

I could see Smith catching on as an energy guy off the bench, but he's not a point guard, he's not a great shooter, and he's small. Both those guys you mention are (a) bigger than him - Crawford's about 6-5 and (b) can shoot the hell out of the ball. I think he could deal with another year to look more capable of running a team, increase his shooting, etc. But if they win the whole thing and he shows out, who knows.

Reaction Score
Smith's game has matured since the debacle of the 5 OT "worst game ever played by anyone in the history of basketball", lol. He reined himself in after finally figuring it out. Since then, he's shooting over 50%. Next year, Louisville has a couple of PG's coming in to replace Siva, so he would not play the point at all - at least not early. Bear in mind, he has played the point on many occasions.

A week ago, Rick and Russ both were talking about next year's Louisville team with zero qualifications. This week? Who knows?

What we do know is that Rick has told both Gorgui and Russ - and Behanen - to check out the pros but don't sign agents. He was proactive with that. I suspect he feels that if Gorgui can be chosen early enough, he'll advise him to go pro. Same with Russ. He felt they could get great feedback - at worst - on what the pros see in their games and find out something reasonable about where they stand if they opt to go pro,

Reaction Score
Congrats on the final 4 Senore, us boneyarders have always enjoyed your posts. Yesterday's game was pretty amazing to watch, so impressed that after seeing what the Ville players saw they were able to compose themselves and just demolish Duke. Siva and Smith are lightning quick and Dieng has become a stud. It was amazing to hear Pitino talk about how all Ware was telling the team was don't worry about me, just win the game, that kid is tough as nails. I will be cheering for you guys and think it's your tournament.

Reaction Score
Thanks, man. Likewise, I like the boneyarders - there's always good intense basketball analysis and so many fewer mouth breathers than other places, lol.

As you know, I have been high on this team all season. I see no reason to let down now. I always thought we would be where we are now, but the solidity of purpose and the focus - even before Kevin's injury - has been off the charts. Losing him actually hurts our rotations, too, make no mistake. I think it was Triche who mentioned putting Ware in for Siva was a "defensive upgrade", lol. Intense ballplayer who bloomed the second half of the season and was just now coming into his own, better than even his most ardent fans hoped.

But we're taking this. Oregon got within 8 at the end - they were fun and scrappy - but we've been obliterating people with prejudice. The team still gets better every game, the truth is.

I think we got this. And thanks.

Reaction Score
Here's Jeff Goodmans take on him today:
Shabazz Napier, Connecticut: He stuck around despite not being eligible for the NCAA tourney, so why not give it another season to see what he can do now that the Huskies have coaching stability and can return to postseason play. Napier could work his way into the first round with another quality season. VERDICT: Stay in school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom