OT: SMH ex. U. Penn coach bribed by a player's father so player could gain admission. | The Boneyard

OT: SMH ex. U. Penn coach bribed by a player's father so player could gain admission.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Other Ivy schools have suspected Penn of being dirty (by their standards) in multiple sports.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Any body else paying extra in recent years to get their kids into Penn? Harvard? At least this kid might have been able to help the basketball team. And, no, of course I didn't read the story.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Any body else paying extra in recent years to get their kids into Penn? Harvard? At least this kid might have been able to help the basketball team. And, no, of course I didn't read the story.
A player on my kid's HS team had some difficulty getting into a college. Mid level HS athleticism, so no shot at a scholly. Not strong academically either. Got admitted late to 'Cuse. Scuttlebutt was Dad dropped a lot cash, but it could have been just a waiting list admission. Dad has substantial resources (built a gorgeous indoor court on estate to help kid recover from ACL) so that may have driven the rumors. Great kid, great family so don't begrudge them anything either way.

pj

Reaction Score
A player on my kid's HS team had some difficulty getting into a college. Mid level HS athleticism, so no shot at a scholly. Not strong academically either. Got admitted late to 'Cuse. Scuttlebutt was Dad dropped a lot cash, but it could have been just a waiting list admission. Dad has substantial resources (built a gorgeous indoor court on estate to help kid recover from ACL) so that may have driven the rumors. Great kid, great family so don't begrudge them anything either way.

If you are out of state, UConn is harder to get into than Cuse these days.

Reaction Score

It is your sacred duty to begrudge anyone who would choose to go to Cuse.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I don't begrudge them. I just laugh.

idiot-gif-16.gif

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, is pity enough?

Note that evidence markers ##1-5 are laid like the 'Cuse 2-3 zone. It's a touching tribute.
23069828-standard.jpg

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I always knew Penn was crooked!

I can't wait for the Feds to go after Brown.
The Feds have Glenn Miller in witness protection until he testifies.

Reaction Score
ABSOLUTELY!!!

Admissions to the most selective schools has gotten downright insane. And it is evolving rapidly. The situation can be noticeably different over a 3 year period. (i.e. two siblings applying to the same school)

In an effort to make sure their kids stand out, parents are paying big money to agents/consultants and/or for meaningful community service or extracurricular activities. And, of course, you have the test prep business.

Reaction Score
Admissions guy from a fairly prestigious school once told me that if there is a building named after your family you are admitted. If there is an endowed something in your family name you are admitted. Grades test scores class rank are all interesting but not overly relevant in that case. School was sometimes called the Harvard of the South.

Reaction Score
Admissions guy from a fairly prestigious school once told me that if there is a building named after your family you are admitted. If there is an endowed something in your family name you are admitted. Grades test scores class rank are all interesting but not overly relevant in that case. School was sometimes called the Harvard of the South.
I had a friend in law school that was from old money. When discussing the legality of affirmative action at universities, he was all for it. His reason wasn't legal/moral/ethical, however. He explained that his reason was if you got rid of affirmative action, you would have to make universities purely merit-based and his family all went to an Ivy League school that many of them (including him) would not have been accepted to. It was one of the moments that I realized we were from very different places.

Reaction Score

Mississippi State?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom