Smart move, UConn dialed back the defensive pressure. | The Boneyard

Smart move, UConn dialed back the defensive pressure.

Reaction Score
The constant, full court, in your face, 40 feet from the basket, pressure was relaxed a little against SMU. He even went zone for a possession last night. There were a number of good results.

We didn't have the high number of blow bys from offensive guards
We didn't pick up a bunch of early fouls.
Our guys were fresher. We didn't see the fatigue that often plagues the Huskies in the second half.
We still managed to play solid defense and close out on 3-point shooters.

Hurley's maniacal, sometimes almost suicidal pressure, can cause turnovers and disrupt opposing defenses but it takes a toll on his team. He can still turn it up when he wants but the move away from 40 minutes of hell was a positive change.

Reaction Score
The constant, full court, in your face, 40 feet from the basket, pressure was relaxed a little against SMU. He even went zone for a possession last night. There were a number of good results.

Our guys were fresher. We didn't see the fatigue that often plagues the Huskies in the second half.

Hurley's maniacal, sometimes almost suicidal pressure, can cause turnovers and disrupt opposing defenses but it takes a toll on his team. He can still turn it up when he wants but the move away from 40 minutes of hell was a positive change.

I agree. Still great ball pressure by AG and others but they weren’t overplaying to the point where they would pick up tick-tack fouls. Happy to see this adjustment by Hurley.

Reaction Score
Every game comes down to can you stop the other team in crunch time. M-M is the only way and you had better be able to do it when the game is on the line..

C

Chief00

Excellent points, actually brilliant. Ironically, when Chief was writing his Briefs at the game, I considered including something along these lines but hadn’t seen any tape to verify what it gradually seemed liked at a live game. I do think we were more poised on offense, better shooting and less turnovers and on defense the dumb and over aggressive fouls were down and Chief did open with that aspect but didn’t fully grasp the greater theme.

I think of Calhoun, who started with the full court press stuff, which built a culture but then he realized as his team’s became more talented and against the better national teams, who would make you pay for pressing more often than not - he realized UConn would end up being on the wrong end of the risk and reward spectrum. So Calhoun adjusted and called off the constant junkyard dogs and UConn stepped up to another level. I wonder if Hurley is starting to make some of the same moves.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I don’t know if anyone else noticed this, but some of Adams best offensive forays came after brief spells on the bench, getting a little recharge. He’s not a 40 minute guy. 33-35 at most.

Rest and fresh legs help in many ways.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom