Smallwood | The Boneyard

Smallwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are out of the race for Smallwood, he's down to WVU and Rutgers, with WVU as the leader, all signs inddicate WVU. We move on to Laray

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
is this a wvu rb joke? chesus they have like 3 already lol. rutgers also has 3. wtf is going on here that we can't get 1.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
WVU and RU both only have 2 RBs committed.

sarcasm off

wvu has 4 kids who were rbs in hs. i know 1 is going to be a slot guy(the hike and flip play...), 2 are rbs and 1 will be a db right? its just that i hope they dont take any more, they have really been all over us this year rb wise with our same offers.

rutgers has 2 or 3 hs rbs as well but only 1 will actually play it if he ever sees the field.

gotta pray for laray!
then wortham, hoover, mariner, clay - my depth chart now off the top of my head.

Reaction Score
One would think that giving the way we run the ball, and I mean we are committed to running the ball, that recruits would see this and want to be a part of our runnign tradition.

There are still some good recruits out there, some one needs to step up and take their place.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
One would think that giving the way we run the ball, and I mean we are committed to running the ball, that recruits would see this and want to be a part of our runnign tradition.

There are still some good recruits out there, some one needs to step up and take their place.

were not going to have the run 1st offense we had under RE. thats what recruits are hearing from teams trying to beat us for the recruit.

Reaction Score
were not going to have the run 1st offense we had under RE. thats what recruits are hearing from teams trying to beat us for the recruit.

All a recruit would need to do is watch a uconn game from last year and see that is not true.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
All a recruit would need to do is watch a uconn game from last year and see that is not true.

how can u say that. we had a qb that wouldn't play at don bosco this fall throwing the ball. and knowing that we still decided to throw the ball how many times a game. imagine what we would be willing to do throwing the ball if we had a college qb or even a bcs qb. last year we threw the ball 359 times. in 2010 we threw the ball 357 times. thats a added bowl game and the last RE offense. in 2009 it was 375. in 08 it was 329. etc...you can see the ballpark #. P threw the ball just as much(the ballpark # a year) as RE did and that was with jmac at qb.

i am not trying to rip on jmac. but considering how our qb play was last year and we still threw 359 times, just imagine what were going to throw the next few with whitmer and arguably the deepest wr corp we have ever had. (corp not just 1 player like a kash...).

Reaction Score
how can u say that. we had a qb that wouldn't play at don bosco this fall throwing the ball. and knowing that we still decided to throw the ball how many times a game. imagine what we would be willing to do throwing the ball if we had a college qb or even a bcs qb. last year we threw the ball 359 times. in 2010 we threw the ball 357 times. thats a added bowl game and the last RE offense. in 2009 it was 375. in 08 it was 329. etc...you can see the ballpark #. P threw the ball just as much(the ballpark # a year) as RE did and that was with jmac at qb.

i am not trying to rip on jmac. but considering how our qb play was last year and we still threw 359 times, just imagine what were going to throw the next few with whitmer and arguably the deepest wr corp we have ever had. (corp not just 1 player like a kash...).

I am saying that regardless of who we had under center we would still be a run first team. Deleone's O is a run heavy offense with short and intermediate passes thrown in. If there was a decent backup behind McCombs, they would have run even more, IMO. UCONN ran the ball the 3rd most of any team in the Big East (behind Pitt and South Florida)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I am saying that regardless of who we had under center we would still be a run first team. Deleone's O is a run heavy offense with short and intermediate passes thrown in. If there was a decent backup behind McCombs, they would have run even more, IMO. UCONN ran the ball the 3rd most of any team in the Big East (behind Pitt and South Florida)

the rb's we are now mostly recruiting are apb and smaller size rbs. why is that?

heres a fun one. how many throws did we make in 04 with dan o?

answer: 464, thats with RE. 464, you read that right. when u have a legit qb, u throw the ball a lot more than when u don't. all of those tuff situations run or pass thinking gets a lot easier when u have a top 20 qb in the nation. we ran the ball 421 times, cornell went for over 1k that year. l

last year we ran the ball for 466 and lyle went for cornell type numbers. we ran the ball 501 in 2010. in 09 it was 529. in 08 is was 556. see how our # of passes was not in the ballpark of the last 3 RE years.

were going to be throwing more as we get the right guys in here for the scheme.

Reaction Score
the rb's we are now mostly recruiting are apb and smaller size rbs. why is that?

heres a fun one. how many throws did we make in 04 with dan o?

answer: 464, thats with RE. 464, you read that right. when u have a legit qb, u throw the ball a lot more than when u don't. all of those tuff situations run or pass thinking gets a lot easier when u have a top 20 qb in the nation. we ran the ball 421 times, cornell went for over 1k that year. l

last year we ran the ball for 466 and lyle went for cornell type numbers. we ran the ball 501 in 2010. in 09 it was 529. in 08 is was 556. see how our # of passes was not in the ballpark of the last 3 RE years.

were going to be throwing more as we get the right guys in here for the scheme.

I am not sure what you are getting at with the smaller sized backs. McCombs is a small back but he is in no way a scat back. He is a between the tackles runner. Don't let the size of running backs fool you. Recent examples being McCombs, Dion Lewis, Ray Rice, Jaquizz Rogers, Kendall Hunter . . etc.

I think the pass attempts will go up with a competent qb because more plays will be run. Won't be as many 3 and outs.

DeLeone does not have a wide open offense. He has a very solid, complicated offense that involves the short/intermediate game quite a bit but it is not a wide open offense. And I really like his offensive philosophy and system. Saw a lot of wide open players because of his solid system. Unfortunately, they were either missed or dropped the ball a lot.

But back to the point I was trying to make. This is a running team.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
fair enough. one last kick from my end.

ol is a question mark. do we have lyle and another 1 or 2 good backs or do we have lyle and a couple jags in the garage? we dont know yet.

thats a lot of issues for a running game, meanwhile we have a juco qb who threw a shitload in the plains of freaking kansas(sorry lol) and then came here and did work on spring day like it was another practice. we have arguably the best wr corp ever and the best te in the league. game on.

Reaction Score
fair enough. one last kick from my end.

ol is a question mark. do we have lyle and another 1 or 2 good backs or do we have lyle and a couple jags in the garage? we dont know yet.

thats a lot of issues for a running game, meanwhile we have a juco qb who threw a ****load in the plains of freaking kansas(sorry lol) and then came here and did work on spring day like it was another practice. we have arguably the best wr corp ever and the best te in the league. game on.

I am not worried about the running game. McCombs is one of the best backs in the league. Worst case is he continues to have to shoulder the load. Best case is a 8-10 carry back emerges from Hippolite, Williams, or DeLorenzo. Until the passing game performs v. bcs opponents I will remain concerned. But I am definitely more optimistic with the return of Michael Smith, the transfer in of Phillips, the continued development of Nick Williams, and the maturation of Geremy Davis and Tebucky Jones. Not to mention Griffin. And our qb play cannot be worse than last year, it is impossible.

I could care less if we throw more. I care that we throw more successfully. I want Whitmer (or Nebrich) to hit 65% of his passes. He does that, and we are looking at a hugely successful season.

Reaction Score
sarcasm off

wvu has 4 kids who were rbs in hs. i know 1 is going to be a slot guy(the hike and flip play...), 2 are rbs and 1 will be a db right? its just that i hope they dont take any more, they have really been all over us this year rb wise with our same offers.

rutgers has 2 or 3 hs rbs as well but only 1 will actually play it if he ever sees the field.

gotta pray for laray!
then wortham, hoover, mariner, clay - my depth chart now off the top of my head.

Goodwin and Ayres for RU, Cioffi is a Safety.
Marcellus is a slot and Wellman is a FB for WVU.

Reaction Score
I'm happy we have McCombs at RB like everyone else, but I still hope he's on the right side of 175 lbs.

Reaction Score
I believe the inefficient offense the last couple of years have rb's worried. It's been a pretty anemic offense to watch. I'm not sure how many kids want to grind out those tough yards. I would love to play @ WVU with that offense. Definitely need a big back, what about that clay kid that rivals had an article on a few weeks back. He looks like a grinder. I also think with the improved qb play, more rb's would consider Uconn, the better you can pass, the easier it is to run.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I believe the inefficient offense the last couple of years have rb's worried. It's been a pretty anemic offense to watch. I'm not sure how many kids want to grind out those tough yards. I would love to play @ WVU with that offense. Definitely need a big back, what about that clay kid that rivals had an article on a few weeks back. He looks like a grinder. I also think with the improved qb play, more rb's would consider Uconn, the better you can pass, the easier it is to run.
clay is a great last pick if we strike out on all the offers we have out. kid is jacked and tough in the hole.

Reaction Score
P has a history, through his years with Syracuse he ran the ball 5 out of 8 times.

Reaction Score
clay is a great last pick if we strike out on all the offers we have out. kid is jacked and tough in the hole.
I think Clay is underated, he looks like a bowling ball out there, will be tough to tackle. Thinking the new brandon Jacobs. Get it in!

Reaction Score
I think Clay is underated, he looks like a bowling ball out there, will be tough to tackle. Thinking the new brandon Jacobs. Get it in!

The new brandon jacobs would go down from a stiff breeze.

we want the old brandon jacobs. the rookie contract brandon jacobs.

Reaction Score
Saw a lot of wide open players because of his solid system. Unfortunately, they were either missed or dropped the ball a lot.

But back to the point I was trying to make. This is a running team.

Ummm don't you think this is a running team because of the missed/dropped passes? and because we were about third worst in the country in sacks allowed?

The last coach coached the team he had, the current coach is coaching the team he has.

We're not going to run the air raid offense, but we will be more balanced once we recruit the players capable of providing a threat through the air. Whitmer hopefully has us on our way, but the WRs and OL will also need to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom