Slo-mo and Traveling Refs | The Boneyard

Slo-mo and Traveling Refs

Reaction Score
Even though the wonderful people at UConnHuskyGames provide replays of every contest (bless you), I record any game I can. I do this for one reason: slow motion.

Take Sunday's game. I was able to attend in person but I was far away from the action when Marina Mabrey was called for traveling. So when I watched the replay I wanted to see what actually happened; not Marina's reaction but why the traveling call was made. And what caught my eye was the ref. As you know, Marina gets the ball on the sideline and has limited options. She swivels once, twice, and again and again. Through all this the ref is staring at her feet like a guy playing 3 card Monte. I had to watch four times to be sure I knew which was her pivot foot but he caught it in real time: her left. Finally, she extends her right foot, picks up her left and starts dribbling. His arm was up in nanoseconds.

After watching over and over again, I was reminded of another time which was equally difficult to decipher. You'll remember. Early in the 2013 championship game, Stewie and Kelly have steered Skylar into the left sideline to trap her. Skylar finally sees the trap and speeds up only to run into Stewie who has sealed the escape route. A foul is called. To me and to the announcers and perhaps to you, it looked like an obvious charge. But the ref called traveling. After a slo-mo session or four, I finally saw what she saw: Skylar took two steps to skirt Kelly but, without dribbling, took two more steps before she slams into Stewie. Again, the ref had her arm up immediately.

If Diogenes had been in the house either time, he could stopped his search. Honest people had been found.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Even though the wonderful people at UConnHuskyGames provide replays of every contest (bless you), I record any game I can. I do this for one reason: slow motion.

Take Sunday's game. I was able to attend in person but I was far away from the action when Marina Mabrey was called for traveling. So when I watched the replay I wanted to see what actually happened; not Marina's reaction but why the traveling call was made. And what caught my eye was the ref. As you know, Marina gets the ball on the sideline and has limited options. She swivels once, twice, and again and again. Through all this the ref is staring at her feet like a guy playing 3 card Monte. I had to watch four times to be sure I knew which was her pivot foot but he caught it in real time: her left. Finally, she extends her right foot, picks up her left and starts dribbling. His arm was up in nanoseconds.

After watching over and over again, I was reminded of another time which was equally difficult to decipher. You'll remember. Early in the 2013 championship game, Stewie and Kelly have steered Skylar into the left sideline to trap her. Skylar finally sees the trap and speeds up only to run into Stewie who has sealed the escape route. A foul is called. To me and to the announcers and perhaps to you, it looked like an obvious charge. But the ref called traveling. After a slo-mo session or four, I finally saw what she saw: Skylar took two steps to skirt Kelly but, without dribbling, took two more steps before she slams into Stewie. Again, the ref had her arm up immediately.

If Diogenes had been in the house either time, he could stopped his search. Honest people had been found.
Diogenes and basketball in the same thread! I am always amazed at the interesting posts on the BY.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

They could have called traveling the first 3 times she moved her feet. So Diogenes is still searching.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
They could have called traveling the first 3 times she moved her feet. So Diogenes is still searching.
Some people on the BY would rather throw that d*** lantern on the wooden floor just to burn the whole refereeing system down.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

After watching over and over again, I was reminded of another time which was equally difficult to decipher. You'll remember. Early in the 2013 championship game, Stewie and Kelly have steered Skylar into the left sideline to trap her. Skylar finally sees the trap and speeds up only to run into Stewie who has sealed the escape route. A foul is called. To me and to the announcers and perhaps to you, it looked like an obvious charge. But the ref called traveling. After a slo-mo session or four, I finally saw what she saw: Skylar took two steps to skirt Kelly but, without dribbling, took two more steps before she slams into Stewie. Again, the ref had her arm up immediately. If Diogenes had been in the house either time, he could stopped his search. Honest people had been found.
The 2013 game against ND was a FF game not a championship game. Did the refs call traveling or did they call a foul? Stewie and Kelly has Skylar trapped several times during that game. My recollection of one of those traps along the side line early in the game was that the refs called that Skylar had stepped out of bounds. I'll go back and check the replay later.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
FanFromMaine, while you have your slo-mo microscope deployed, please answer a question for me:

Did Kia Nurse travel in the 4th quarter before she launched her critical 3-point shot from the left side? I watched it live and then twice in normal time (not slo-mo), and all three times it appeared to me that she did a two-step with her feet to set herself before she launched that shot. But the refs didn't whistle her.

That was as much of a turning point as the game had, and if that field goal had been nullified, the end result might have been different.

Reaction Score
Some people on the BY would rather throw that d*** lantern on the wooden floor just to burn the whole refereeing system down.

I'm so dang angry : The title of this Thread is MISS LEADING---I wanted to know who made the calls on the TRAVELLING REFS---Dang--I was hoping we could get a ref throw out of the game.

Reaction Score
The 2013 game against ND was a FF game not a championship game. Did the refs call traveling or did they call a foul? Stewie and Kelly has Skylar trapped several times during that game. My recollection of one of those traps along the side line early in the game was that the refs called that Skylar had stepped out of bounds. I'll go back and check the replay later.
Funny how the brain works---my memory of that game was the number of times and who ND had trapped. I believe Geno pulled Moriah second after a trap she was caught in--put in a 5th year senior who too was trapped. In the last couple of minutes of tight games (see the last ND game) Muffet first choice to trap is the Freshman, yea other coaches use it---yea yea.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I keep seeing people say this, but on the replay I'm not seeing her move her left foot (pivot foot) until the movement that elicits the traveling call. She of course moves her right foot (non-pivot foot) multiple times, but that's not a violation.

Can someone identify an exact moment when she gets away with moving her *left* foot before the traveling violation?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Having rewatched the game replay it does match my memory. Kelly and Stewie actually attempted to trap Skylar the first three times Skylar touched the ball. The first time Skylar dribbled through and was fouled by Kelly resulting in free throw attempts & ND first two points of the game. On the next ND posession they attempted to trap her again and Skylar dribble through was challenged at the basket by Dolson resulting in a missed shot and UCONN rebound. On the next ND posession the trap was sprung after Skylar crossed half court Stewie and Skylar collided near the sideline and the refs ruled that Skylar had stepped out of bounds. Is this the play you are talking about?

Reaction Score
Having rewatched the game replay it does match my memory. Kelly and Stewie actually attempted to trap Skylar the first three times Skylar touched the ball. The first time Skylar dribbled through and was fouled by Kelly resulting in free throw attempts & ND first two points of the game. On the next ND posession they attempted to trap her again and Skylar dribble through was challenged at the basket by Dolson resulting in a missed shot and UCONN rebound. On the next ND posession the trap was sprung after Skylar crossed half court Stewie and Skylar collided near the sideline and the refs ruled that Skylar had stepped out of bounds. Is this the play you are talking about?

You are correct on both counts: it was a semi-final and it was the third attempt for a trap. But my recollection is that after it was determined it was not charging, a quick comment was made that it was traveling. I happen to still have this game on my DVR and would be glad to recheck if you wish.

Reaction Score
FanFromMaine, while you have your slo-mo microscope deployed, please answer a question for me:

Did Kia Nurse travel in the 4th quarter before she launched her critical 3-point shot from the left side? I watched it live and then twice in normal time (not slo-mo), and all three times it appeared to me that she did a two-step with her feet to set herself before she launched that shot. But the refs didn't whistle her.

That was as much of a turning point as the game had, and if that field goal had been nullified, the end result might have been different.
I have now erased the game (I have five others saved going back to the 2013 semifinal against ND and I don't have enough recording time to keep all the games I like) but my recollection was that she did travel. But there were many other three-steps during the game as well.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing people say this, but on the replay I'm not seeing her move her left foot (pivot foot) until the movement that elicits the traveling call. She of course moves her right foot (non-pivot foot) multiple times, but that's not a violation.

Can someone identify an exact moment when she gets away with moving her *left* foot before the traveling violation?

What is saw was that Marina kept her pivot left foot, extended her right foot to move right but pulled up her pivot before she started to dribble. The travel call coincided with when she lifted her left foot without dribbling.

I was watching an old replay today where Carolyn Peck suggested that refs prepare for games by looking at player tendencies. She said this after a player traveled and I inferred that she meant that that player was known to travel. That would certainly explain why Bria Hartley was called for travel so often. Maybe Marina is known to take a step before dribbling as well.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Just watched Mitchell split her feet before putting the ball on the ground, this is another call often overlooked by refs. Hersler for 3 ex Bruin.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are correct on both counts: it was a semi-final and it was the third attempt for a trap. But my recollection is that after it was determined it was not charging, a quick comment was made that it was traveling. I happen to still have this game on my DVR and would be glad to recheck if you wish.
The announcers were Dave O'brien and Doris. Dave got the call wrong saying it was an offensive foul on Skylar. Doris called it correctly Skylar out of bounds for the turnover so I understand your confusion.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
What is saw was that Marina kept her pivot left foot, extended her right foot to move right but pulled up her pivot before she started to dribble. The travel call coincided with when she lifted her left foot without dribbling.

I was watching an old replay today where Carolyn Peck suggested that refs prepare for games by looking at player tendencies. She said this after a player traveled and I inferred that she meant that that player was known to travel. That would certainly explain why Bria Hartley was called for travel so often. Maybe Marina is known to take a step before dribbling as well.

I ask that you look. She slid her left foot before the traveling move.

Reaction Score
The announcers were Dave O'brien and Doris. Dave got the call wrong saying it was an offensive foul on Skylar. Doris called it correctly Skylar out of bounds for the turnover so I understand your confusion.
Dave gets the call wrong rather often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom