Sling TV

This may be old news, but i signed up for sling tv this year. I don't have cable and my isp doesn't allow me to access espn3. It's not free, but i now have access to espn3. It may be an option for those in a similar sitaution.

This may be old news, but i signed up for sling tv this year. I don't have cable and my isp doesn't allow me to access espn3. It's not free, but i now have access to espn3. It may be an option for those in a similar sitaution.
If I didnt have a friend with cable that could share his username and password with me for WatchESPN, i would be in the same situation as you. Good to know its an option in the future to get my Uconn games. Glad for now that i can save the 20 bucks a month.

Are you guys able to get CBS Sports? We are going to have 8 games on CBS SN and 2 games on CBS. OR are those games going to also be available on ESPN3? I've been intrigued by Sling and other non-cable subscriptions alike, just not sure if I'm ready to pull the trigger yet.

I believe i get CBS with my digital antenna, so I guess i would get those 2 games. The other 8 I'll have to look into that. If they are on CBS SN then I would miss those which would really bother me. This is kind of a test year for me. If I miss too many games then I may have to go back to cable.

It doesn't look like CBS games are available on Sling. I think CBS has it's own streaming service. I submit a question on the CBS Sports Line website. I asked them if I can stream the UCONN vs. Ohio State Game on December 12th. I figured I would start with a question about a specific game. Anyways, I have been queued and I'm not super optimistic I will get a response, but I'll let you know what they say. Hopefully if the OSU game can be streamed a similar avenue will work for all CBS games.

Ohio State and Georgetown are on CBS so you should get to see both of those.

Some of our 'lesser' conference games on CBS SN, but nonetheless:
1/2 @Tulane
1/5 Temple
1/17 @Houston
1/19 Tulane
1/31 @UCF
2/7 ECU
2/25 @USF
2/28 Houston

Hope it works out for you guys.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Sports is the only reason I still have cable. We are paying north of $210/month for HD cable and Internet. I swear being a drug addict is less expensive than a sports junky. I'm real interested in how this works out for you. I've been wanting to cut the cord for a while.

Sports is the only reason I still have cable. We are paying north of $210/month for HD cable and Internet. I swear being a drug addict is less expensive than a sports junky. I'm real interested in how this works out for you. I've been wanting to cut the cord for a while.
When I got my first smart phone about 5 years ago I realized all content will come over the phone someday. TVs will be nothing more than terminals. I abandoned cable, a traditional ISP, everything... All I have is Sprint and my smart phone. I assumed I would able to dock my phone into my TV and watch whatever I wanted. That idea hasn't really materialized. I can link my phone to my TV. I can watch Netflix and browse the web via the TV, but it's sorta cumbersome to connect the phone to the TV. I can't just sit my but down and click power on the remote. Also, the internet speed over the smart phone is decent with 4G, but not great. Anyways, the result is I watch less TV. I'm cool with that part of the deal, but watching the Huskies is a pain. I'm surprised how cable and traditional ISPs have rooted themselves into this ESPN3 thing. I mean all the content is out there and I'm totally willing to pay for it, but until I this Sling TV thing came along I couldn't get an ESPN3 account. I watched a lot of games at Wild Wings.

When I got my first smart phone about 5 years ago I realized all content will come over the phone someday. TVs will be nothing more than terminals. I abandoned cable, a traditional ISP, everything... All I have is Sprint and my smart phone. I assumed I would able to dock my phone into my TV and watch whatever I wanted. That idea hasn't really materialized. I can link my phone to my TV. I can watch Netflix and browse the web via the TV, but it's sorta cumbersome to connect the phone to the TV. I can't just sit my but down and click power on the remote. Also, the internet speed over the smart phone is decent with 4G, but not great. Anyways, the result is I watch less TV. I'm cool with that part of the deal, but watching the Huskies is a pain. I'm surprised how cable and traditional ISPs have rooted themselves into this ESPN3 thing. I mean all the content is out there and I'm totally willing to pay for it, but until I this Sling TV thing came along I couldn't get an ESPN3 account. I watched a lot of games at Wild Wings.

Do you have unlimited data with Sprint? If so, and assuming you have an Android phone, you can use chromecast to watch games from your phone onto your TV. I do this for things like netflix, WatchESPN, and others. It also works if you have an IPhone, but not as well.

I have DirecTV so I can watch ESPN3 and WatchESPN all I want on my phone or tablet.

CL82

Trust the process
If this actually is the only reason why you have cable, you can probably cut your bill in half by getting rid of the movie channels.

Do you have unlimited data with Sprint? If so, and assuming you have an Android phone, you can use chromecast to watch games from your phone onto your TV. I do this for things like netflix, WatchESPN, and others. It also works if you have an IPhone, but not as well.

I have DirecTV so I can watch ESPN3 and WatchESPN all I want on my phone or tablet.
I do have unlimited data. I will look into Chromecast. Thanks. Sprint is not one of the service provider options for ESPN3...which sucks for me.

If this actually is the only reason why you have cable, you can probably cut your bill in half by getting rid of the movie channels.
I tried that, but Verizon made me get the highest package in order to get the sports package to. I was paying north of 170 a month. Now i just get internet from them, at like 60 a month. I get Hulu and Netflix now. I got NBA league pass broadband (which I would get every year anyways even when i had cable tv so its not an additional cost), and i have Amazon Prime (which i had even with cable). So I get plenty to watch using the Roku. Went from 170 a month down to around 80 a month.

I'd really like to get away from cable altogether for internet. I was reading somewhere where on the west coast there was a company that provided wifi for a certain radius for like 30 bucks a month at a really fast speed. I'm waiting for the day where i can get internet that way and say screw cable companies altogether.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
I started a similar thread on this a week ago.

I pay around $225/mo for a Cox cable bundle in Florida- basic land line (teen/pre-teen in house), internet and cable w/ the DVR's. I recently bought an Amazon Fire TV stick and a digital antenna. We already use Amazon Prime so there is plenty of programming that comes with it. I have signed up for Netflix and am on free trials for Sling TV with the sports extra package and Hulu.

I called the cable company earlier this week. To unbundle and just receive high speed internet, it costs $69+tax. Amazon prime is an annual cost. Netflix is $10/mo, Hulu is $8/mo and Sling TV is $25/mo.

Our youngest turns 12 in a week and is getting a cell phone so we don't care about the land line.

Our cost will go from $225/mo to $69+$25+$10+$8=112/mo.

Basically cut in half.

Once I see how this works, we'll cut the cord in a couple of weeks.

We have an Xbox One in one of the other rooms, so the only other equipment I'll need is one more Fire TV stick. A one-time cost of $45ish.

I watched last night's game on Watch ESPN App on Amazon TV and it was perfect clarity.

My only concern is the CBS and Fox signals over the antenna are weak since I'm about 40 miles from their towers. I will probably buy an outdoor antenna and hook it up to the cable line outside the house and use the existing cable lines to hook in to the TV's.

I pay around $225/mo for a Cox cable bundle in Florida- basic land line (teen/pre-teen in house), internet and cable w/ the DVR's. I recently bought an Amazon Fire TV stick and a digital antenna. We already use Amazon Prime so there is plenty of programming that comes with it. I have signed up for Netflix and am on free trials for Sling TV with the sports extra package and Hulu.
We do Sling, with the added sports pack, Netflix and Hulu. We have two fire tvs and can be streaming up to 4 things in the house at the same time. We have 1 GB fiber. The streaming really started to suck. After a lot of research it came down to when is a gig router not a gig router. You really need a router that can do hardware offloading for the NAT routing otherwise the CPU on the router just cant handle all the streaming. Ended up getting the second from the best Asus router. Also would recommend any of the Nighthawk routers from Netgear. Asus had better family control to block the kids during certain hours though while allowing all the adult devices full access. Bottom line is lots of streaming will just kill your router even if you have more than enough bandwidth. Sling is no substitute for live cable though but it gives me what I need. It's consistency seems to be problem. one day great the next not then last weekend they had ESPN authentication issues

Chin Diesel said:

I called the cable company earlier this week. To unbundle and just receive high speed internet, it costs $69+tax. Amazon prime is an annual cost. Netflix is $10/mo, Hulu is $8/mo and Sling TV is $25/mo.

Our youngest turns 12 in a week and is getting a cell phone so we don't care about the land line.

Our cost will go from $225/mo to $69+$25+$10+$8=112/mo.

Basically cut in half.

Once I see how this works, we'll cut the cord in a couple of weeks.

We have an Xbox One in one of the other rooms, so the only other equipment I'll need is one more Fire TV stick. A one-time cost of $45ish.

I watched last night's game on Watch ESPN App on Amazon TV and it was perfect clarity.

My only concern is the CBS and Fox signals over the antenna are weak since I'm about 40 miles from their towers. I will probably buy an outdoor antenna and hook it up to the cable line outside the house and use the existing cable lines to hook in to the TV's.
Buy a mohu sky antenna for your ota antenna. Best antenna on the market.

We only have HBO.
I pay $30/month and have all of the TV that I can possibly want. We pay $20 for Sling, I have a digital antenna (depending on your geographic location the number of channels you pick up will vary), we pay $10/month for Hulu and borrow a password for Netflix. If you only have cable for HBO, then I suggest buying a Roku (which I have as well) and downloading the HBOGo channel. It's only $15/month.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
I pay $30/month and have all of the TV that I can possibly want. We pay $20 for Sling, I have a digital antenna (depending on your geographic location the number of channels you pick up will vary), we pay $10/month for Hulu and borrow a password for Netflix. If you only have cable for HBO, then I suggest buying a Roku (which I have as well) and downloading the HBOGo channel. It's only $15/month.
I have cable 1) so I can watch live sports in high definition, 2) Wife doesn't want DirectTv, and 3) Fios is not in our area. If I "only have cable for HBO," I would have cut the cord years ago.

Same boat here. I have looked into time and again (I have comcast) and every time I do, its live sports that stop me from cutting. They offer me a lower price, maybe save $30/mo BUT only if I contract for 2 years. As fast as the landscape changes, that doesn't seem to make sense, but that monthly bill is a killer.