Slightly OT: Road trip to game | The Boneyard

Slightly OT: Road trip to game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
My GF got us tix for this Memphis game for Xmas, now we're coming up Friday from Buffalo. Staying in Hartford. We kind of wanted to see the campus Friday then go to dinner somewhere in Hartford @ night.

Never been to a uconn home game and never been to Hartford. Just lookin for helpful tips, fun stuff to do, nice places to eat, cool places to drink/eat/whatever.

can't wait til Saturday, saw UConn in buffalo in 04 title year, saw them against university of buffalo thabeet and AJs year, saw them in Cuse that year, and saw them in Cuse with Drummond and Lamb. Never saw them @ a home game, so psyched!!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Where you staying? Definitely a few good options depending on what you like/are in the mood for.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Well we're staying in Hartford but we're going right to Storrs most likely on Friday so we'll be anywhere from Storrs to Hartford on Friday then Saturday we're waking, going to XL, then leaving for Boston

Reaction Score
Peppercorn's, Max Downtown, Capital Grille, Dish, Salute, Morton's - can walk to all

Reaction Score
If you plan on eating up near Storrs, although I haven't been to campus in a while. Bidwell Tavern is always a nice place to eat, Willington Pizza, have to hit the Dairy Bar on Campus for Ice Cream. In Hartford, not much to do outside of the game. Ct Science Center, Wadsworth Museum, Mark Twain House. You might want to hit the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, it is a 20min drive from Hartford. Another place not listed above is City Steam Brewery. Good place for food and brews. Max's, Salute, Capital Grille, Mortons, Peppercorns are all solid choices.

Reaction Score
The part of Hartford most newcomers are looking for is actually West Hartford. Drive down Farmington Avenue to West Hartford Center and Blue Back Square. Get out, take a stroll, hold hands, have a drink and find a place to eat. My wife has no connection to CT other than me and she loves West Hartford Center. Plenty of options, hip, pretty and easy to get to.

Downtown has some good restaurants and bars but I consider it more of the "financial district" area of greater Hartford. West Hartford is the better attraction.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Thanks for the input so far guys - Mark Twain house seemed interesting to us - as of now we plan on getting into Storrs in the afternoon, then Hartford for a nice-ish dinner, then our other options in Hartford / Storrs are wide open...I wanna make sure I see the campus a little, is there a campus store or a better "UConn gear" type place around campus?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Will Jodi and Buffy be with you Mr French?

I'm assuming that's from something I don't know, someone made a movie reference I didn't get last time, haha sorry I have no witty response bc I dno what it's from lol

Reaction Score
I'm assuming that's from something I don't know, someone made a movie reference I didn't get last time, haha sorry I have no witty response bc I dno what it's from lol
Way too young.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Thanks for the input so far guys - Mark Twain house seemed interesting to us - as of now we plan on getting into Storrs in the afternoon, then Hartford for a nice-ish dinner, then our other options in Hartford / Storrs are wide open...I wanna make sure I see the campus a little, is there a campus store or a better "UConn gear" type place around campus?

The Co-Op is right next to Gampel, they will have tons of gear. With regards to campus activities, I actually like to find a speaker or class that sounds interesting and just pop in while I am up there. If you go to the schools website you will see daily activities, and the school is pretty much wide open so you can take in whatever you want.

With regards to the Hartford/West-Hartford dynamic...West Hartford does have a more walkable vibe. Like others have said, drive straight down Farmington Ave and park on a sidestreet past downtown and you can walk to a ton of good restaurants (Bricco, Grants, Max Oyster, Barcelona, BarTaco, Treva, etc...). But, Hartford really has some good spots too. Milo had some good suggestions...I might also add Bin228 for a cool vide (wine, panini's) and Agave for Mexican. If you are willing to venture out of downtown, Carbones is a good Italian place in the Italian section on Franklin Avenue, and Monte Albon is a hidden treasure (Mexican) on Farmington - it doesn't look like much from outside. Also, Park Avenue has some good places - Tacqueria and Plan B burger are in the same building (Mexican & Burger/Beer) and Joey Garlics Pizza across the street is good.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score

UCONN Coop right next to Gampel.

A nice restaurant on the way back to Hartford from Storrs is Cavey's in Manchester, Italian upstairs and a nice French downstairs (pricey but special). About 15 minutes from downtown Hartford.

Reaction Score

A must if you've never seen it before: J. Robert Donnelly Husky Heritage Sports Museum On campus @ Alumni Center but only open 8-5p

Reaction Score
My favorite wings/pizza, Wooster St, has a spot in Storrs just off campus a lil out of the new "Storrs Downtown" its BYOB which is nice but it's not as good as the one in Manchester about 15 min from Hartford. Manchester has probably 4 sporting good stores inside of the Buckland Hills mall and surrounding area. Market Grille by the mall is also a nice couple's dinner place.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Every bit of input has been perfect guys thanks, I def wanna get to a few cool spots on campus ASAP tmrw then we're totally free until game time so this all is really helpful. Keep em coming if u guys got more!

I'm from Buffalo so I know how it is when ppl come in for a Bills game not knowing the city, and w Buff everyone assumes it blows (lol) so I like to add my input and city pride.
Like I said never been to campus or a home game and been diehard since Donyell Donnie and Doron etc so this is going to be amazing - actually trying to decide between my 97 Ricky Moore jersey that i wore in the first 2 games in 04 in Buffalo so that's good mojo but also have all my 2011 championship gear so suggestions there would help too!

Reaction Score
Will Jodi and Buffy be with you Mr French?

Mr. French in middle...

family-affair.jpg

Enjoy the visit/game.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Haha thanks I remember that now never saw it (I'm 30) but I recall last time someone making a similar joke that went through me

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Every bit of input has been perfect guys thanks, I def wanna get to a few cool spots on campus ASAP tmrw then we're totally free until game time so this all is really helpful. Keep em coming if u guys got more!

I'm from Buffalo so I know how it is when ppl come in for a Bills game not knowing the city, and w Buff everyone assumes it blows (lol) so I like to add my input and city pride.
Like I said never been to campus or a home game and been diehard since Donyell Donnie and Doron etc so this is going to be amazing - actually trying to decide between my 97 Ricky Moore jersey that i wore in the first 2 games in 04 in Buffalo so that's good mojo but also have all my 2011 championship gear so suggestions there would help too!

Stopped in Buffalo for wings both to (Duff's, because Nine-Eleven was closed on Sunday) and from (Anchor) Niagara Falls last summer and could see its bones as a once proud Great Lakes city and found several neighborhoods quite pretty, reminding me of Rochester in a good way.

As to Mr. French . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Affair

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Peppercorn's, Max Downtown, Capital Grille, Dish, Salute, Morton's - can walk to all

Any adjustment on these or other recommendations if I'm going to something at the Bushnell?

Reaction Score
The part of Hartford most newcomers are looking for is actually West Hartford. Drive down Farmington Avenue to West Hartford Center and Blue Back Square. Get out, take a stroll, hold hands, have a drink and find a place to eat. My wife has no connection to CT other than me and she loves West Hartford Center. Plenty of options, hip, pretty and easy to get to.

Downtown has some good restaurants and bars but I consider it more of the "financial district" area of greater Hartford. West Hartford is the better attraction.

How about directly North of Downtown? I heard they got great stuff there :D

Let me tell you a quick short story of my first experience in Hartford. My gf attends Connecticut. I was there over the weekend. I wanted to attend the America East Tournament @ UHart (my alma mater SBU is part of the AE) ... But as a New Yorker, I chose to walk. I walked from Downtown Hartford all the way to UHart and I chose to walk through Albany Avenue... fckmylife! LOL What a scare

If I only I realized that I should've taken the long way and walk through the west part of town instead...

Hartford has to be the most economically segregated city I've seen... That railroad is the divider between heaven and hell

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Any adjustment on these or other recommendations if I'm going to something at the Bushnell?

If you want to walk between Bushnell and the restaurant your options (in order of distance and assuming you are interested in a 'nice dinner') are...
  1. Vito's and Salute;
  2. Trumbull Kitchen and Bin 228;
  3. Max Downtown and Feng
  4. Agave... then getting further...
  5. Dish

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Perhaps this will help

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I got a reservation @ Trumbull kitchen so that seems good - if only we get there, any local word on this storm? Buffalo is clear for once lol

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I got a reservation @ Trumbull kitchen so that seems good - if only we get there, any local word on this storm? Buffalo is clear for once lol

I don't know what the storm is like in Connecticut, but it's been snowing for about 24 hours in New York and we have 324" of snow. Our local weather service is just broadcasting someone softly sobbing.

Anywho....

Go to the Sports Museum at Alumni Center.

Then head up the road towards Gampel. Look behind Gampel at the new hoop practice facility.

Walk up the road past the new practice facility and walk into the football facility. Admire it.

Walk back towards Gampel and try to open a door. If anyone stops you, tell them you're on a pilgrimage. Walk in, take a nice picture. Look up at the Patoni tiles and tell your girlfriend that she's gazing up at the Sistine Chapel of geodesic dome tiles. (Enzo Patoni will be looking down at you.) Have your girlfriend take a nice picture of you in front of the court. (Check the picture when she's done - chicks tend to take crappy pictures.) Ask someone to take a nice picture of both of you.

Walk out of Gampel and across the street to the Co-op. Buy some UConn stuff.

Go to Storrs Center and have lunch.

You can go to the Dairy Barn and you probably should, but given the absurd weather, ice cream seems like an odd pick.

I don't know anything about the restaurants in Hartford. Ignore the suggestions for wing joints...those people are savages. Have a nice dinner Friday night and then have wings after the game Saturday like a gentleman.

Have fun.

Reaction Score
How did this trip go? Curious what you did and how you liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom