Slightly OT: ESPN's weird man crush | The Boneyard

Slightly OT: ESPN's weird man crush

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why ESPN seems so committed to the idea (that no one else seems to share) that Bronny James is far and away the biggest story of this college hoops season? It's seriously kind of creepy.

Edit: The thread title is supposed to read "Slightly OT," but for some reason it won't let me do that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It would be awesome if people on this board could figure out ESPN is a business that is trying to make money. They don't like any player or team. They don't hate any player or team. The like more money and hate less money.

Reaction Score
It would be awesome if people on this board could figure out ESPN is a business that is trying to make money. They don't like any player or team. They don't hate any player or team. The like more money and hate less money.
So having a weird fixation on Bronny James somehow nets them more money? I'll buy that, but I'm not sure how that works.

Reaction Score
Well:

1) His dad is kind of famous
2) He's been getting national hype since he was about 13.
3) He's recovering from a heart issue
4) His college is in a big media market

Do we need any more reasons?
So you're saying you agree that he's the biggest story in college basketball this season? Maybe he is. Maybe it's just me who doesn't care. Fair enough.

Reaction Score
So you're saying you agree that he's the biggest story in college basketball this season? Maybe he is. Maybe it's just me who doesn't care. Fair enough.
I wouldn't say he's the biggest story but I can see why ESPN is getting a lot of mileage out of the story for the reasons I listed.

Reaction Score
He's the son and namesake of a living legend and one of the greatest NBA players of all time. For our market, Imagine if in 40 plus years Paige Bueckers has a Paige Bueckers Jr? A PBJ if you will. It would set the boneyard ablaze.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
He's the son and namesake of a living legend and one of the greatest NBA players of all time. For our market, Imagine if in 40 plus years Paige Bueckers has a Paige Bueckers Jr? A PBJ if you will. It would set the boneyard ablaze.
She is going to have a kid when she’s in her 60s? That in itself would be quite an amazing story.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
The average sports fan doesn't care a lick about college basketball until March, and having a name player like Bronny James brings those people in to watch their programming. Not rocket surgery.

Reaction Score
So having a weird fixation on Bronny James somehow nets them more money? I'll buy that, but I'm not sure how that works.
Most people watching ESPN are not avid college basketball fans. They don’t know who the best players are, and would not notice or care if ESPN talked about them. They do recognize “Lebron’s son.”

Reaction Score
Here's the thing. College basketball isn't a popular sport. At all. People don't really care about it. They care about the tournament, but November - Feb college basketball is a niche sport. So there is a very small population of people who really care about college basketball, and then this giant population of people who don't care. Bronny is very valuable, because he will get clicks from the giant population of people, not just the very small population of people.

Reaction Score
The average sports fan doesn't care a lick about college basketball until March, and having a name player like Bronny James brings those people in to watch their programming. Not rocket surgery.
I don't even watch ESPN much. I was referring to their website, where there have been more than two dozen Bronny James stories (no exagerration) in the last two months.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
This thread went down the road of a 60 yr old woman having a baby that becomes a women’s basketball star. Well from what I can gather most who are posting on this board today may not really care what happens 40 years in the future.

Reaction Score
The Paige example had me confused at first as well but I think what is being said is Paige will have the superstar baby 20 years or so from now when she's 40-ish and then 20 years after that said baby will set the world on fire. Hence the 40 year timeline.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why ESPN seems so committed to the idea (that no one else seems to share) that Bronny James is far and away the biggest story of this college hoops season? It's seriously kind of creepy.

Edit: The thread title is supposed to read "Slightly OT," but for some reason it won't let me do that.
Kind of like the fascination with Charlie Woods

Reaction Score

For the same reason that Swift dating Kelce sells Kelce jerseys to girls that don't even like football. Not for me to understand it - just to acknowledge it.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I don't even watch ESPN much. I was referring to their website, where there have been more than two dozen Bronny James stories (no exagerration) in the last two months.
It drives clicks and page views. They got you talking about it didn’t they.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's still ridiculous. They hype a video of Bronny making a shot during a game where his team got crushed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom