slight OT - question for ESPN techies | The Boneyard

slight OT - question for ESPN techies

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Ok - I'm permanently confused when it comes to some tech stuff.

Last year we set up a Roku and I was able to watch some early WBB games on "watchESPN" and "ESPN3".

My questions -

- what's the difference?
- are they both available to watch later or only one of them?

And, while I'm at it - does anyone know anything about watching Big 10 "to go" or whatever they call it?

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Last year we set up a Roku and I was able to watch some early WBB games on "watchESPN" and "ESPN3".

My questions -

- what's the difference?

And, while I'm at it - does anyone know anything about watching Big 10 "to go" or whatever they call it?

ESPN3 is a regular TV channel. Things are shown at a scheduled time. It can be streamed, like most channels these days, but if you miss something on ESPN3 you'll need to go to...

...watchESPN.com, which is a portal to an archive of (almost) all the events that have been shown on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, SEC Network and a few others I can't remember.

Events usually come onto watchESPN between an hour (unusual, but I've seen it) and a day after their original broadcast. Events stay on watchESPN for a period of time (don't know how long, but it's at least a week) and then roll off forever, so you need to go to...

...uconnHuskyGames.com, where old Husky games (you weren't caring about anything else, were you?) can be found after a few hours or days.

Reaction Score

My questions -

- what's the difference?

Watch ESPN is programming that is actually being shown on ESPN's cable TV channels - you can stream it instead of watching it on TV, as long as you are an ESPN cable customer. ESPN3 is the same thing except it is for additional programming that is NOT shown on ESPN's cable channels (SNY UCONN games, for example). You still need to be an ESPN cable customer.

I believe both are available to watch later, at least for a period of time.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Watch ESPN is programming that is actually being shown on ESPN's cable TV channels - you can stream it instead of watching it on TV, as long as you are an ESPN cable customer. ESPN3 is the same thing except it is for additional programming that is NOT shown on ESPN's cable channels (SNY UCONN games, for example). You still need to be an ESPN cable customer.

I believe both are available to watch later, at least for a period of time.

I have not been an ESPNx subscriber for a number of years (basic OTA channels only) and I can see the games on watchESPN.com starting the next day.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Thanks. I get all the ESPN's on DirecTV, but they do stream a lot of games that are not on TV that I can get on the big screen through my ROKU from the internet.

Early in the season, when there are relatively few games on the broadcast channels, I watch some games to "catch up" on various teams.

I just researched BTN and purchased BTN plus, which, for example, will have Friday's Rutgers game. Now BTN to go is also reportedly available through ROKU so, I have hopes of watching on the big screen.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Thanks. I get all the ESPN's on DirecTV, but they do stream a lot of games that are not on TV that I can get on the big screen through my ROKU from the internet.

Early in the season, when there are relatively few games on the broadcast channels, I watch some games to "catch up" on various teams.

I just researched BTN and purchased BTN plus, which, for example, will have Friday's Rutgers game. Now BTN to go is also reportedly available through ROKU so, I have hopes of watching on the big screen.

If you have a relatively recent TV with an HDMI input, you can watch anything on the large screen. Recent PCs & laptops have HDMI output jacks and you can buy VGA/DVI to HDMI converters for $30 or less on Amazon for older computers. Many TVs also have VGA inputs (usually labelled PC), though that's less common with newer ones. Smart TVs have built-in browsers so you can stream directly, without using a computer or Roku or anything else.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
If you have a relatively recent TV with an HDMI input, you can watch anything on the large screen. Recent PCs & laptops have HDMI output jacks and you can buy VGA/DVI to HDMI converters for $30 or less on Amazon for older computers. Many TVs also have VGA inputs (usually labelled PC), though that's less common with newer ones. Smart TVs have built-in browsers so you can stream directly, without using a computer or Roku or anything else.
That (connecting ye olde laptop) - which does have HDMI output - is physically difficult. Our main TV (not huge, but very acceptable) is physically poorly positioned to attach a laptop - both due to the inaccessibility of the back of the TV and the lack of any place to put the laptop. We did do some direct connection when we first moved out here in 2011 (using the TV in our bedroom), but we actually don't watch TV in the bedroom almost ever.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That (connecting ye olde laptop) - which does have HDMI output - is physically difficult. Our main TV (not huge, but very acceptable) is physically poorly positioned to attach a laptop - both due to the inaccessibility of the back of the TV and the lack of any place to put the laptop. We did do some direct connection when we first moved out here in 2011 (using the TV in our bedroom), but we actually don't watch TV in the bedroom almost ever.
There are some wireless HDMI streaming dongles available. Look into them on Amazon or Newegg. It would involve a one time mission to move the TV to access the HDMI port in the back of the TV to plug in the dongle.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

I use a 12-foot HDMI cable, which I leave connected to the TV and coiled up behind it. It allows me to put the laptop anywhere in the room I want it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I use a 12-foot HDMI cable, which I leave connected to the TV and coiled up behind it. It allows me to put the laptop anywhere in the room I want it.
That'll work.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
how much did you pay for that, I recently had a 3-4' and I finally figured out that it had shortage in it but it was maybe $2.00

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
how much did you pay for that, I recently had a 3-4' and I finally figured out that it had shortage in it but it was maybe $2.00

Bought it from Fry's Electronics, a Western chain store. They're online at frys.com, with one 12' cable at $4.99 A web search for 12 foot hdmi cable came up with a lot of sites priced from $8 - $15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom