OT: Sleep study question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Sleep study question

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I have never met anyone who went to one of these and came away with a normal prognosis. It seems everyone need a machine to aide them in sleeping.
My wife went to one of these, she is 5"6" tall and 135 lbs (if anyone tells her I told, I'll kill ya:) and is not a snorer; but she is a restless sleeper. They told her she needed one. Turns out, a little less stress did the trick and her machine is in the closet, collecting dust.

Reaction Score
I have never met anyone who went to one of these and came away with a normal prognosis. It seems everyone need a machine to aide them in sleeping.
My wife went to one of these, she is 5"6" tall and 135 lbs (if anyone tells her I told, I'll kill ya:) and is not a snorer; but she is a restless sleeper. They told her she needed one. Turns out, a little less stress did the trick and her machine is in the closet, collecting dust.
I'm liking this post for the Avatar.

Reaction Score
I have used a CPAP since my heart attack in 2004. I used to wake up 3 to 5 times a night. I started using it almost immediately. What you will find is when you sleep, you will go into a deeper sleep than you are used to. Get used to it, it's worth it. I used a full face mask because I am a mouth breather.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have used a CPAP since my heart attack in 2004. I used to wake up 3 to 5 times a night. I started using it almost immediately. What you will find is when you sleep, you will go into a deeper sleep than you are used to. Get used to it, it's worth it. I used a full face mask because I am a mouth breather.
Depending how sleep deprived you are, you may also have more vivid dreams for a while as you brain catches up on REM sleep.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This isn't for the sleep study question as I've already had mine done, but I've been given an automatic CPAP machine to use at night. Suggestions on how long it takes to get used to it? I can't seem to wear it more than 4 hours and that has been best case scenario .

Thoughts?? Much appreciated .
Must get heated hose. Way easier to sleep with.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It baffles me how in order to evaluate how one sleeps, they make it in the most uncomfortable environment ever.
"You had a wake event 134 times in 90 minutes."

"Well, I don't traditionally wear a head gear and ECG pads to bed either."

I snore when I'm on my back and I most likely have apnea when I do. Luckily I rather enjoy sleeping on my side and stomach. In fact, sleeping on my back is pretty uncomfortable for me as it is.

Reaction Score
Let me see, I go to a used car salesman and ask him if he thinks I need a car. To a hammer everything looks like a nail. Let me know of anyone who went to one of these and "did not" need a device.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This isn't for the sleep study question as I've already had mine done, but I've been given an automatic CPAP machine to use at night. Suggestions on how long it takes to get used to it? I can't seem to wear it more than 4 hours and that has been best case scenario .

It took me 6 months to get a full night sleep. For me it was incremental - started with which mask to go with- I tried nose pillows, full face and then settled on nose mask. Then humidifier or not. Then, it took time to get used to it and then get more and more sleep. Now, years later, can't sleep without it.

Reaction Score
How many Migs do you guys shoot down per night, on average?
1, maybe 2 on a good night?

iu

Reaction Score
Let me see, I go to a used car salesman and ask him if he thinks I need a car. To a hammer everything looks like a nail. Let me know of anyone who went to one of these and "did not" need a device.
the doctors must be getting a big kickback from these machines, mine actually got very angry when I said I wanted to return mine because it was doing no good.

Reaction Score
No heart attack but quintuple bypass surgery 2 1/2 years ago. Apparently 3 got clogged and had 1 stent put in a few weeks ago. It was the 2 cardiologists who told me I have severe apnea. They would only do 1 stent because the dye puts a strain on your kidneys and I have moderate kidney disease. Right now I'm short winded and have to have the other 2 done.

Reaction Score
People with mild to moderate sleep apnea can often be treated with an oral appliance but not by any dentist, only ones who have certification and special training. The sleep doctor and sleep lab know who they are.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"You had a wake event 134 times in 90 minutes."

"Well, I don't traditionally wear a head gear and ECG pads to bed either."
I'm pretty sure they are talking about apnea events. Translation: your throat closed choking you until you woke awoke up 134 times in 90 minutes.

Man up and get a CPAP, you will, eventually, be glad you did.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I showed up last night and it turns out they didn't have a clue who I was so the office rescheduled me for tonight.

That was part of the test.

Reaction Score
They see who is dumb enough to show up on the “first” visit. That way they can plan to have enough scalpels and evil looking Eastern European people there to harvest the kidneys on night two.

Reaction Score
Has anybody had one? Going to Homewood Suites in Farmington for a sleep study tonight. Any info on what to expect would be appreciated. TY
They’ll hook you up to sensors to monitor your breathing, O2 levels, etc. If they’re looking for sleep apnea, they want to know how many times you stop breathing at night. Its serious. It can kill you. I’ve been using a CPAP machine for 20 years. With oxygen added for the last 10.

Reaction Score

Don’t use the auto version. It basically lets you stop breathing before it starts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom